Betty and her spay

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Betty and her spay

Post by Annie »

I just am not having any luck with animals this year.

I was Leary of getting Betty spayed, but made an appt. for her anyway. Dropped her off at the vet's this morning and they told me to call the around 3 or after to see how her surgery went and how she was doing. I called and it seems Betty had what they called a reverse reaction to the shot they give them to knock them out! Made her hyper as all get out. They have another shot they can give her but they didn't want to over dose her on meds, so I have to pick her up tomorrow and let the medicine they gave her get out of her system. They want me to bring her back up Friday. Now I'm scared to take her!

I'm having second thoughts about getting her surgery now..... :o
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Re: Betty and her spay

Post by Spider »

She should be fine on Friday. :) Chances are if you don't get her spayed now then you will later on in her life when she could get pyometra (infected uterus) or some sort of cancer. It's just a little glitch that happens sometimes and is resolved with a different kind of drug. Sounds like they are being as good a vet as they can be and are keeping you well informed about your pet. She should be fine. :D Spay risks are much less when young then when older.
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Awwwww......I agree with Spider......Hang in there.....she should be fine......Hugs!!
audre
USDA Zone: 5

Post by audre »

I agree that spaying is important to do - for several reasons not the least of which is less risk of cancers caused by hormones. My mastiff was a rescue from a puppy mill who had cancer because of the high levels of hormones from being constantly pregnant. Not to mention the other complications and problems with uterine infections etc.

Also, finding out your girl has this type of reaction to a normal 'knock out' drug now is a blessing, really. Imagine if you had an emergency where she needed immediate surgery... not knowing she reacts like this to standard drugs might have been tragic when time is critical! So, I'd say you are lucky that you found out in a no-stress situation that she needs a different type of drug for being knocked out. This may also indicate how she'll react to other related pharms too, so it's excellent information to get.

Finally, you don't want to wait for spaying! If you wait too long and she goes into heat the process is not only much messier but she'll suffer from hormonal imbalance as a result. For weeks her body will have been prepping to go into baby-production mode, pumping extra hormones into her system to make the necessary changes and then boom! she gets spayed and has to come down in a crash with hormone withdrawal. So I'd say the soonest you can safely do the spay is the best thing you can do.

As an aside, I've got a primitive-breed rescue whose reaction to pharms is a total unknown. Every time we have to do something I never know how she'll react. We usually consult with wildlife vets who are experienced in treating canines like foxes and coyotes when we do anything with her to get an idea of possible 'gotchas'. So, I do understand how frightening it is when your baby reacts badly to meds!

Peace,
audre
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

Did you get it done? How did it go?
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
New Topic Post Reply