Interesting info on spaying.....:-)

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

LucyGoose

Interesting info on spaying.....:-)

Post by LucyGoose »

I am waiting to spay Anabelle until after she had gone through a heat......not sure what age, but she will be older than the norm.....:-)

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/longterm ... indogs.pdf
audre
USDA Zone: 5

Re: Interesting info on spaying.....:-)

Post by audre »

Nice summary of the issues.

It's a tough decision, no doubt about it!

I waited for my female mastiff (first one) to go through a few cycles before spaying. With such a large breed (she was 186 pounds in her prime), I wanted to give her organs and bones as much time as possible to mature. In her case, it really helped mellow her out. She was a horribly bred english mastiff with a bad temperament (though I loved her dearly) I believe that if she'd had all her hormones through adulthood she would have injured someone. As it was, my husband and I were really the only people who could handle her and at times, even I had to think twice about grabbing that chewey from her mouth when she didn't want to give it to me. :eek:
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I know, it is a hard one to decide......I am going to describe what is with this pup....

Her vulva is kinda an in'iny....is that a word? :lol: ....so they suggest waithing for a heat to swell it and it should push out more.....plus all the hormone stuff.....I believe that it just makes sense to wait till they are fully grown, doesn't it? I won't wait for a second heat.....but not right after her first.....

Thanks for reading....Have a great day!! :cool:
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

LG, Is Willie intact? If so, keep them away from each other when Annabelle is in heat. It does not matter how closely you watch them, he will get her believe me :eek: And heat lasts forever, or it seems like it when you are trying to keep them apart :lol: :lol: :lol:

G
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi Ginger...No, he is fixed....LOL.....But I hear that doesn't materr....he will still want to GET HER!! :lol: :lol:
New Topic Post Reply