A new dog

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

Linda P

A new dog

Post by Linda P »

I was not actively looking for a new dog just yet, but was starting to think about it. My son-in-law called Friday as I was on my way out the door to tell me his friend was looking for a home for a dog. The family who owned him had a daughter who has developed serious allergies, and they were instructed by her doctor to remove all the pets from the home.
They hadn't been able to find anyone to take their 6-yr old miniature dachshund, and were going to put him down on Monday. DSIL's friend works with the girl's grandma, she told him about the dog, and he said he would take it and find a home for it. I couldn't get in to see the dog on Friday, and ended up being so busy yesterday that I didn't make it either, so last night DD and DSIL and friend brought him out, along with all his toys and his kennel. Naturally, they didn't leave with him.
The downside is that the little guy is not neutered, but so far after about 12 hours here, that's the only negative.
He's a beautiful little boy, very well-mannered, crate, leash, and potty trained. He barks very little, and immediately quiets when I tell him to. He knows several commands that I've discovered so far. He's a little obsessive about his toys at the moment...loves to shove them under the sofa so far that he can't quite reach them, and then spends a lot of time trying to dig them out. Imagine that, a doxie who likes to burrow.....
He's very active, will play for hours on end but he doesn't require someone to play with him. He just goes and gets a toy and starts hauling it around. He hides his ball in a blanket, then flips it out and runs after it.
He was quiet all night in his kennel, only barked once when he heard DH go outside to start chores this morning. (I don't get up quite that early!)
The poor little dog came with the name of Crete (short for Cretin!!!!) but we decided to name him Zeke.
Another good thing is that all his records are at my vet, so I can take him in for a checkup and make sure he's all up to date, and get him neutered.
DD and DSIL brought him out here on a 'trial run', but you know he's not going anywhere!!!
I'll post some pics later...have a full schedule for the next few days, so maybe by next weekend I'll have a chance to do that.
So, Zeke joins the long line of animals who have found their way to me. I haven't ever in my life gone out looking for one..they always come to me one way or another.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
tsbccowboy
Location: Apple Valley, Minnesota 44°43'39.50"N 93°14'52.40"W

Re: A new dog

Post by tsbccowboy »

You are off to a great start with Zeke! You have a new friend and the girl with allergies should be better too.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Awwwww....Linda!! I can't wait to see him!! Ya know, you do not have to get anything but rabies every year, and there is also a 2 year rabie now......If he has had all his shots in the past, he is good to go! They have found they last for at least 6-7 year, if not more......Ask about getting his *titer*....instead....it is a blood test to see if he is still protected......imagine us getting out vaccines year after year......just a thought.......Give him pats from me....Oh, and ya know Patruskha has a little dachshund. Have fun with your new babie!! :-)
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

How terriffic!!!!!!! My brother has a miniture dachsund and he is so cute! Love the ears :lol: :lol:
Congrats, you are both lucky!

Ginger
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Awww, sounds adorable!!
....................................................... (waiting for pictures!)

:D
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

I'm so glad that you saved him. I wonder how anyone could just "put down" a 6 yo dog like that! -- or is it really a hollow threat meant to tug at someone's heart-strings?! In any case, he's got a good home now!

My cousin has a mini-D and she's so cute! My cousin carries her practically everywhere because she doesn't want her hips/back hurt? I guess it's a trait with the breed.

I want to see pics! :)

Congrats!
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Here he is, not a great pic.
He's such a good boy! We've discovering a few tricks he has learned.
He doesn't have a lot of training, though he does know 'leave it' and 'stay'.
He either doesn't know (or doesn't want to let me know that he knows!) sit and down,
but he's learning those already.
Here's the real shock...it only took him about half a day to win over my DH John,
who claims to be anti-dog. I was gone for several hours yesterday, and John
actually took the dog out for a walk while I was away.
That has NEVER happened before.
I had a houseful of people less than 24 hours after Zeke arrived, and he did fine with it.
He played with my sister's dog, and they had a great time.
He likes kids, and just generally seems to love people.
Yep, he'll be staying.
LG, I will get him in to the vet soon, and they should have all his records there.
I always did a 3-yr shot for Dolly. Will make sure he's been tested for heartworm, etc.
My sis looked at him and said she doesn't believe he is 6...his teeth are just pearly white, and in really good shape.
According to the guy who brought him out, he said the people who had him got him from a very reputable breeder.
It turns out that SIL and DD know the family he came from, but didn't know they were looking to find a home for the dog.
Anyway, he's quite happy here, and we're happy with him.

Linda P
Attachments
Zeke first pic Nov 23 09.JPG

My Hosta List
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Awwwww......he is so cute!! I think it's a good picture, really! What shot was the 3 year? Only one I know they need because of law is rabies and I thought it was a 2 year......and to have a small dog with clean teeth.....that is great! Either he is young like sis says or he is on a raw diet....they say their teeth are real clean on raw.....my step-DD feeds that.....He really has got a great home now with you and it's funny how a fur kid get people who are not ........ :lol:
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Awww, sounds like a perfect fit. Zeke was smart to figure out he had to use all his charms to win over DH right away!! :lol: He must have known that would ensure his place in the household! :lol: :lol:

He's a cutie!! Have lots of fun with him!!!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

LG, we have a 3-yr rabies shot here in Illinois. I don't know if all states allow them or not.
Jane, it's good to hear from you!
I just discovered the Zeke does not like to go out in the rain. I tried to put the umbrella over
him, but he's just saying, "No, I really don't need to go right now. Can we go back inside?"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
He doesn't seem to get nervous about thunder, just didn't like to get wet when we went out.
He has some really cute tricks...his rollover is something else.
He starts it from a standing position, does a twist while he's on his hinie, and then
drops to the floor and rolls over and pops back up. He had us all in stitches Sunday night.
Of course, my nephew got the most acrobatic rollover because he was offering a tiny piece of a
human cookie.....
Now, if I can just teach DH how to act with a dog..... :???:
Linda P

My Hosta List
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

LG, we have a 3-yr rabies shot here in Illinois. I don't know if all states allow them or not. Oh wow....we just have the 2 year!

I can just see the roll over! How cute! He seems like a great little boy! I am glad he found you!

Have a great Thanksgiving Linda!! :cool:
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Awwww...how cute he is!!!!

How could anyone consider putting someone like him 'down.'????!!!!! Someone ought to put them down!!! (sorry, but it just ticks me off!)

So glad he came to live with you....I don't know how he orchestrated that trick, but he must be really smart! :wink: :lol:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I don't know how they could think of putting him down, Charla. From the sounds of it, they were panicked by the doctor's orders to immediately divest themselves of all the pets.
I do think they loved him...it shows in the care he's had, and the great personality. He's not 'barky', not afraid of anything, except going down my scary stairs,
and he is very well socialized. I've rescued a number of dogs in the past who were abused, and it takes a long time to get them out of the nervous mode.
I don't know how long they looked for a home for him. It sounds like they were afraid that if they put an ad in the paper, they would get crazy people calling, and someone might take him for a research lab or something. I don't know why they didn't try the billboard at the vet's office, or why they didn't call the no-kill shelter in the next county. They take dogs from all around.
However it happened, I do know that this little guy was meant to come here. He's brought such joy, and has lifted some of the sadness of this difficult year.

Linda P

My Hosta List
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Linda P wrote: However it happened, I do know that this little guy was meant to come here. He's brought such joy, and has lifted some of the sadness of this difficult year.

I am so glad!! You deserve it! :D
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Great story Linda, sounds like a win-win. He's looks like such a good boy. Congrats.
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Let me add my congrats on the new addition to your family. Sure does seem like destiny that Zeke ended up with you. Love the pic....he's just as cute as can be. And thank you so much for adopting him. I wish there were more people out there like you! :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
gamekeeper

Post by gamekeeper »

We breed Dachshaunds and he looks like a nice guy.If he has been so good why waste your money on neutering ,he will only get fat, as a fellow says," if it is not broke don't fix it."
New Topic Post Reply