He likes It!

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

He likes It!

Post by Spider »

We went to our first lure coursing event today. We got there for roll call and pulled in behind a woman with 4 Borzoi in her car. She offered to mentor/help me out to get started. They set up the course and Dutch was able to do the first practice run. He was on it like a magnet! Very entusiastic and leaping in the air on the lead while they positioned the lures. We ran the first run and a run at the end of the day and I helped with the 4 Borzoi and a trio of whipets while Dutch chilled in the car. He's now passed out on the floor, unwakeable. We will be getting his Purebred Alternative Listing/Indefinite Listing Privilege (PAL/ILP) number and getting him certified with a qualifying run with another dog that runs like him. Febuary is the next event and I just need to continue what I'm doing to condition him and try to toughen up his feet. Now he has something he is allowed to chase and catch. :) Here's a video from the second run - I wasn't expecting to go so early for the first one, lol. It may take a while to load.

SO glad he has a good recall! That's always something to worry about. :)
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Re: He likes It!

Post by Annie »

Oh what a pretty dog!!
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Kas

Post by Kas »

Good boy! He came back so nice. I thought he was going to catch the lure there for awhile! How do they make it move?

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

He has a good recall? I don't know the lingo for "lure coursing". lol! I've never heard of it or seen anything quite like that before, but that's really cool. I'm glad he liked it! It looked like he was really 'hauling'. :)

BTW, That's a good question: How DO they make it move? lol!
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Pretty cool!! I know nothing about this either......how in the heck is the rabbit pulled? :hmm: Like what is pulling it? Thanks for sharing that......it was really cool!! Good boy Dutch!! :beer:
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Good boy, Dutch!
I gotta tell you, while I was watching this, Zeke got all excited by the barking and started running around the house looking for the source.
I had to pick him up and let him watch it. I don't think he'd do very well at coursing with his short little legs......but he is fast!
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Post by govgirl75 »

He is poetry in motion. What focus. I would like to know what makes the lure move. Is it a remote control device? Anyway, good luck with this. Dutch seems to be in his element chasing the lure.
Glo
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

Thanks! :) Recall is when the dog comes back to you at the end, or when you call them back. Not a sighthound strong point. A lot of the Afgan hounds lost intrest at the bottom of the hill and went out to look at the cows in the neighboring field. :lol: That was pretty funny! The lure is three plastic bags on a line set up on pullies and run by a small motor that is controled by a button. As long as the button is down the lure moves and they can adjust the speed. I guess it can go up to 55mph.
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

I can't see the video, darn work :lol: :lol: but I am imagining something like the rabbit lure they use for Greyhound racing?
I am glad you found something to keep both of you occupied :D
Ginger
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Very cool! He was marvelous! :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
New Topic Post Reply