Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Good Things Do Happen!

Post by nanny_56 »

out of a very bad situation!

Don't know if any of you will remember Meese. He is a male cat that was dumped by a neighbor to feign for himself. Another neighbor fed him for 5 years. Last summer he moved to my house when he brought a pregnant female here to have her kittens.

The female "Chelle and her 1 surviving kitten went to live on a farm to be 'Barn Cats'. I was sad that was the best home I could find for them but it was all I got for 2 females. I figured it at least was a shot of survival.
'Chelle & Annie
'Chelle & Annie
DSCF6437 (Small).jpg (37.83 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
I so enjoyed having them all around and Meese took his 'family responsibilities' very seriously. He worked very hard to keep them safe from a number of predators including other male cats. It was quite interesting to watch the dynamics of their relationships grow over the summer.
Meese, Annie, 'Chelle
Meese, Annie, 'Chelle
Once Annie was bigger, mom would often leave Meese in charge of watching Annie while she took a break.
Sharing breakfast
Sharing breakfast
Once the girls left Meese was very lonely so I spent a lot of time with him and I loved it and I think he did too. I really miss having a cat and this was the closest I could get due to DH allergies. I had his weight up and his coat all shiny ready to deal with winter. I really felt confident that he was in fairly good shape.

I am not sure what happened and but January he was not showing everyday to eat and he was clearly going down hill...fast! I did my best but was at a loss on what to do. The shelter here was of no help. He was also so being shadowed by a very aggressive male cat which did not help things. The 3rd week of April he showed up with a front broken leg. I was devastated. I could clean the boo boos clean the yucky ear. This was more than I could fix.

Luckily I have another neighbor who sells vet supplies. He contacted a group in Indianapolis called INDY FERAL and pulled some strings for me. They agreed to take Meese and evaluate and treat him. The poor guy was a mess! Parasites of course, an ulcer on 1 eye, ear infections in both ears and 1 busted ear drum...PLUS the broken fore paw. They were not sure the leg could be saved and he would require 4 weeks of serious antibiotics and care. Clearly living on his own in the outdoors was not an option any more. They very graciously offered to keep him and try to find him a home.

My heart can now rest easy that this very special cat will have a loving, safe, warm place to call home now. Miracles do happen....
Meese
Meese
DSCF3337 (Small).jpg (38.91 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Re: Good Things Do Happen!

Post by Ginger »

Yes they do, YOU are the miracle!

Ginger
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
nanny_56

Post by nanny_56 »

oh no...I think Meese was one of those special animals. He didn't trust strangers, so it was several weeks before he so much as let me pet him when he first came here. By November he would curl up right next to me on the bench and sleep and a couple times he even crawled up on my lap and snuggled in.
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Awwww.....this was so sad then happy...... I am so glad he will be in a safe place now!! Thanks for leading his way!! I love his picture! He is precious!!
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Wonderful ending to what could have been a tragic tale. Thanks for sharing it with us and thank you for doing whatever you could to help him. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
razorbackfan
USDA Zone: 6b

Post by razorbackfan »

This is a wonderful story! Meese is a very fortunate cat! Just think how difficult his life would have been without YOU!! Your kindness and generous spirit made every difference in his life.

We have a "momma cat" who showed up about 5 years ago with two little kittens. Since then, we've had all three cats spayed (they are all female), vaccinated regularly, and microchipped so they're not lost. They're just a little tamer than truly "feral cats," but they're the best protection for my hostas that I could ever have! They're my vole/mole deterrents! My DH (who has a cat allergy) made them a wonderful "cat condo" on our porch so they would have someplace warm and safe to sleep.

I loved reading Meese's story--he sounds like a very special cat!!
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Claudia u did a wonderful thing. I can't remember but are u Canadian? there are cheap spaying/neutering clinic in certain cities. I know people that live trap stray cats and take them there and them bring the cats back where they caught them and release them again.

Debbie

Garden_of_Mu
USDA Zone: 7

Post by Garden_of_Mu »

So glad he found a home thanks to your big heart and attention. Yay you! :D
~ Mike

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t
matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Theodore Geisel, aka Dr.
Seuss
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

This is a heartwarming story. I'm so glad that you were able to help Meese out. He looks like a very sweet cat, and it's unusual for a male to take any interest at all in, or even tolerate, a young kitten.
Thanks for sharing the story with us.

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
nanny_56

Post by nanny_56 »

A little update on Meese.

They were able to save his leg and it is usable though it didn't heal quite right. The bad news was that he tested positive for Feline Leukemia so they were to able to let anyone take him home. They contacted 2 facilities that take in some cats. One refused him but the second one located in Illinois agreed to take him.

Not quite what I had hoped for but at least I know he is taken care of and is safe, warm and well fed! They said he eats like a pig and loves the attention!

Debbie, that is exactly what INDY FERAL does. They trap, spay/neuter and release. They were going beyond their duty to find somewhere for Meese. I will always be very thankful for that. I can sleep easy at night knowing HE is sleeping easy at last.
Claudia
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

So sorry to hear that he tested positive for F. leukemia, but he's been well cared for by special angels like you and Indy Feral :) All in all he's been a lucky cat to have such wonderful humans look after him :)
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
New Topic Post Reply