Happy Birthday to us!

Post by viktoria »

DOB 8/27
Attachments
I'm a girl.
I'm a girl.
I'm not.
I'm not.
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Re: Happy Birthday to us!

Post by Ginger »

Ohhh, look puppies! They are so cute :D What kind are they, where did they come from (well I know that, but you know what I mean) details, we need details and more pictures!

Ginger
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

I shall take more pics when their eyes open. They are a week old now. They are Karelian Bear Dogs. I brought the parents from Finland two years ago. The breed originates there. They were bred to hunt bears (duh!). They were imported here to help control nuisance bears in national parks and campgrounds.

Viktoria
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Wow....I had to Google them, as I have never heard of them.......Not for the casual owner for sure......What do you do with yours, Viktoria? I love the look of them, but after reading, man.......they need more exercise than the paps, and they love/need to hunt......Good luck with the babies.......I bet they would love agility! :lol:
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

Hi, Kathleen,

When I cannot swim or ski, I take daily three mile walks with a dog. I also take a dog with me when I X-country ski in the woods because I am usually alone. There have been (more or less reliable?) sightings of mountain lions and wolves near my home. The dogs have the run of a 12 acre pasture (in turns because they do not all get along) the rest of the time so exercise is not an issue.

Why do you say "not for the casual owner"? Because of their need for exercise? They are great people and family dogs except around very small children (too bouncy and can knock them down). Some people, who live in areas where wildlife could be a threat, have a dog to accompany their children when they play outside because the dog will give an alert and allow the children to go inside before they are in danger.

KBDs are the smartest dogs I have come across, with the possible exception of border collies. I suspect they would be great at agility but don't have the time/interest to try it out.

Viktoria
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi back at ya, Viktoria!!

This is what I read on the breed.....

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/karelianbeardog.htm

That is why I said that..... :lol: ...I do believe they are smart as heck.....another reason not for the couch potato people.....they need a job.....like a boarder collie....like my paps.....I have had people say the paps are small boarder collies.... :lol:

I would love one...I like thier looks......but these guys are a handful..... :lol: :lol:

Going out for a walk right now with the paps.....I bet your in better shape than me......there would be no way I could ski..... :lol: ...My back has been killing me..... :beer: :beer:
New Topic Post Reply