Can a dog have a depression ???

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

thy
USDA Zone: 7

Can a dog have a depression ???

Post by thy »

Backgrond for some of you.
Amanda is a 10 years old Lahsa Apso. I got her 4 years ago.
My dog love food and the firs time I had her, she ate everything. Now she can have her dry food standing and eating when she want to.
Just one problem, I can't take something from her mouth- I have to trade.

Serious...
My vet accept a off day, but.....

Friday October the 1. my DD was here with her Lahsa Apso, they love each other and we went for a good walk with them, no problems at all. The night before she fooled around in circles when we came home from a walk, just enjoying to be in contact and run around.
Later in the evening I made a mistake.

DD and I love clams so we prepared some and desided toeat them in the sofa corner, The table is small so after I had tested a clam, I put the shel in a bowl and put the bowl on the floor... tooo stupid I know. Sure the toook the heavy shell and I was afraid what it could do in her stomack, so I took it from her, she snapped after my hand and I yelled at her and pushed her away.
A few seconds later she asked for forgivness, but I was still irritated and more interested in my DD and the food.
She went to sleep under the bed
Did not want to go for a walk later.
Didn't want to go for a walk next day, didn't want to eat, didn't follow me to the kichen.
After 3 days I took her to the vet, - nothing.
Ater 2 more days I was so scared, I asked my son to come, wated to see how she reacted when he came.. she came out, loved to see him, but was slow and went to the corner after a few seconds.
I have draged or taken her out once a day. If I caried her, she just sit for an hour or so at the same place.
I have tried every good food to get her to eat a bit and she did, but seemd sad and uninterested.
After 10 days it turned and now after 2 weeks she is nearly her good old self. Like to lay by my feets and beg for goodies :D

So what do you think/ know..can a dog have a serious depression becaurce of my yelling and ignoring ?

Thanks

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
newtohosta-no more

Re: Can a dog have a depression ???

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Well, thy, I personally believe that animals can be depressed, so that might be the problem. She may also have had an illness that upset her stomach and that's why she was acting that way. Only she knows for sure, but I'm glad she seems back to normal now. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Some dog breeds are very prone to reacting that way when disicplined by yelling. My Rat Terriers will sulk up and hide, not give you kisses, just act like they have been beaten if they get yelled at :evil: They always come around, but have never acted that way for as long as your dog did. I agree, she could have just not felt good, maybe she did get some shell in her stomach :?:
Glad she is coming around to her old self though!

Ginger
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
greenindex1976

Post by greenindex1976 »

I have a Jack Russell terrier, and I believe that through my experience with this dog that yes they can have depression. He's a wonderful dog, but very hyper and requires attention, actually all the attention. This has been the problem. My fiance and I now have 3 dogs, and he is feeling the fact that between work, home, fun, and the other dogs that he is not the number one priority. He has no health issues only behavioral now. A dog that never used to potty in his crate, now does it every night! Seems like the only time he is satisfied is when I board him or take him to doggy day care!
putnamgardens

Post by putnamgardens »

Dogs live in the moment. They don't anticipate VET appointments or "worry" about things that might happen to them. They do however get used to routine and when that get's broken...they might be puzzled but adapt. I recently put down my husky after 11 years. She was failing and what tore on my heart strings were the other two dogs, looking for her. Two weeks later, they stopped. My dogs occassionally miss a meal and if it's more than a couple days, I might worry. Hope your pooch is back to them old selves soon. Later, Love, Lisa
Attachments
not the best of Scutter-1.jpg
Have I mentioned lately that my drinking team has a hosta problem?
New Topic Post Reply