Introducing Gus!

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Introducing Gus!

Post by nanny_56 »

I just really was not sure I waated to get another dog any time soon. I still miss Buddy something awful . But DH was really wanting to get one so I said we could start looking and seeing what we might want. Of course if you start looking, you are sure enough gonna see that one face that just says to you "take me home"!

This is the one that talked too us! We named him Gus. We brought him home this past Saturday. He was listed as a Boston Terrier mix. Not sure they have that right, but he is one very cute little guy that just may have stolen my heart all over! :lol: :P
DSCF0371 (Small).JPG
DSCF0378 (Small).JPG
He is only a year old but very well behaved and housebroke...even potties in the yard!! Buddy never would do that which is why I had walk him all the time...365 days a year. He does need work learning to walking on a lead, but he sleeps in his crate at night just fine. :)

And he loved the GD"S who were here to help us pick him out.
IMG_2821 (Small).JPG
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Re: Introducing Gus!

Post by caliloo »

Oh he is precious! And that is one Thankful and happy face - he is going to be a great addition to your family. Best of luck!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Post by govgirl75 »

Congrats on the new addition to your family. He is just adorable. What an expressive face he has. And isn't it nice to have that housebreaking thing already done.
Enjoy!
Gloria
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

I'm seeing a future of spoiled-rotten love for that little one :)
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
fullofit

Post by fullofit »

Love him. Very fetching.
CHAR (wild4flowers)
Happiness is making a bouquet
of those flowers within reach !
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Oh he is adorable, I love his face! Did you adopt him from a rescue? If so, Thank you! I am glad you went ahead and got a new puppy :beer: :beer: Congrats!

Ginger
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
pauhaus

Post by pauhaus »

Congrats to you Claudia, he looks like he's going to be very happy in his new home. All the best.
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
nanny_56

Post by nanny_56 »

I will only adopt from a rescue anymore. I refuse to put money into a backyard breeders pocket or support pet shops that sell animals. :evil: It just breaks my heart so many good dogs are already here and waiting for a loving home but people just keep letting their animals breed.

Gloria, It is wonderful so wonderful that he is already housebroke!! They really weren't sure if he was or not....but I was willing to take a chance on him. I couldn't resist that face!! He has a really bad under bite...but that is part of what made him so cute!
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Kas

Post by Kas »

I love his face! He has a nice mustache! I was in a pet store the other day and they had DNA tests for your dog! What breeds are in your pooch? or something like that was the catchline. I don't know if it works, but it would be fun to find out on some of these pups. We are dogless right now, but did just get a shelter kitty we named Abby.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

nanny - I hear ya!!! All of our cats are adoptions from rescue groups :) I wouldn't do it any other way. And even though they're all indoor cats and never ever ever outside supervised, they are all still fixed.

It just burns me up when people I know (parents of my kids' friends) refuse to have their dogs or cats fixed, and they constantly have litter after litter. They say they can't afford to have their pets fixed, but they can afford to raise litter after litter of kittens and puppies and find homes for them!?!?!?! Oh, please... They also don't take into account that every single puppy and kitten they bring into this world takes away a home for an animal that is already in a shelter and needs a family.

OK.... getting off my grouch-pedestal now.... :)

Gus is gorgeous :)

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Post by govgirl75 »

Wish we could get our pets from a rescue. We live next to a community park and a lot of people drop their pets off when the pet is sick or has babies. Over the 31 years we have been here, we have kept 5 cats for ourselves, given 3 cats, a dog and a rabbit to other folks who were willing to give them good homes. It was heartbreaking to see these animals, dirty and hungry, find their way to our back door. I felt I could not take them to the shelter because none of them was likely to get adopted and each needed some medical care. One cat was so weak and malnourished that his back legs kept collapsing under him. My mom, recently widowed at the time, took him, nursed him back to health and he is the most wonderful companion kitty ever. All of our pets (except the snake) have been neutered or spayed and they all get regular medical care. We have never turned an animal away and won't as long as we have the means to get it the care it needs and make sure it goes to a good home (friend or relative only). If we were to choose to get another pet, we would certainly go to a rescue to adopt.
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Sounds like you are a rescue Gloria! Thanks for doing what you can to save the animals :beer:
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
nanny_56

Post by nanny_56 »

We had a neighbor that bought a female shitzu and bred that poor thing. In one year she had 3 litters. Last year she had 2 more with a male they bought. The last litter thay had a hard time getting all the puppies sold. It just burned me to no end...made me sick to my stomach. They got rid of the male late last year and I noticed late this summer the female is now gone. I do wonder what they did with them...but would hate to really know.

I agree Gloria...you are the best type of rescuer!
Nice that there are people like all the great peole here...just doing what little bit that we can one by one.

Gus is learning to enjoy the snow!
IMG_2997 (Small).JPG
Claudia
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Oh, I love Gus's face! Sorry I missed this post.....he is really cute!! I love the name as I love people names for pets.....Glad you could take him into your home....rescue is the way...even having these paps, I sometimes feel guilty....but then I do give to the humane society here, and I have rescued cats here, too...and I always look.....DH doesn't want another, but maybe someday....Your Gus is so lucky!! Congrats
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Oh, Claudia, look at that face! I'm so glad that you gave him a home. I can only imagine what would happen if you tried to walk away after getting your heart zapped
with that look! It's great that he's housebroken, too.
And Miss Lucy Goose, do not feel bad about your Paps. I know you did your research and selected a reputable breeder. While I am a rescue dog person myself, I do believe there is a place for the breeder who takes good care of their animals and who do not overbreed them. My sis has a Cardigan Welsh Corgi. She was on a 2-year waiting list for a puppy, as the breeder she chose has very strict rules regarding the number of litters, etc...but she ended up getting one of the very next litter, when someone else cancelled off the list and my sister just happened to be there right after the cancellation came in. She got a wonderful little dog, who is just the light of her life.

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Thanks Linda for the nice words.....Anabelle's breeder just called Friday to see how we are doing......But, I do have good news.....3 weeks ago my sister rescued a little Maltese mix.....he is about 2 years old.....cute little thing....We are so glad for her and him.... :snow:

Hugs to Gus!!! :snow:
New Topic Post Reply