My little Gracie....

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

eastwood2007

My little Gracie....

Post by eastwood2007 »

Hello, my Hallson friends,

I needed a shoulder to cry on even if it is just in a post....

It's 3:30 a.m. and I just got home from the emergency veterinary where I had to put my sweet Rottie, Grace, down. I'm soooo sad.....

Earlier this evening, around 10:45 p.m. I was awakened to her shifting around in her kennel alot. I could tell she was very uncomfortable. I had been watching her for signs of a blockage, as she had vomited on Thursday, and there were wood chips in it. When I had phoned our regular vet's office on Thursday he said just to keep an eye on her, and if she had a blockage she would vomit up her food. That never happened, but she wasn't eating as much as she normally would, so I was watching her. He said if she had a good meal of something she really liked where she would eat it fairly quickly, it shouldn't be more than an hour or so before it would come back up. She had narrowly escaped last year on Dec 6. We were told she had a mass on her heart, but when they drained fluid they found nothing. They basically sent us home to say goodbye at that time, but it has been over a year...I had switched their food to lamb and rice from chicken (not certain that is relevant) and she actually looked better than she had in a couple years. She was frisky and full of life.

Tonight I gave her a little less than her regular ration of food and sprinkled a little shredded cheese on top, which is one of her favorites. She ate it all and acted like she could eat more. That was around 9:15.

I took her to the emergency vet, where they discovered her stomach had twisted - a condition called bloat - and there was nothing they could do - well except a $3-5k surgery that only worked about 75% of the time. This condition is totally unrelated to what she was dealing with earlier, and is a sudden unexplained occurrence.

Well, anyway, that's that....thank you for listening...I guess life goes on....Champ and I are going to try to go to sleep soon....not sure how that is going to go...I'm soooo sad...
Attachments
gracie reduced.jpg
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
steg
USDA Zone: 5

Re: My little Gracie....

Post by steg »

I'm so sorry to hear about Grace. Beautiful dog.

:cry:
To the world you may be one, but to one you may be the world.

My List: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=48366&p=425413#p425413
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Oh Charla... I am so sorry. We lost a dog to bloat many years ago - it is devastating for something like that out of the blue..... hugs to you and Champ :(

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Post by govgirl75 »

I am so sorry for your loss. Those fur kids sure do get ahold of our hearts. You are in my thoughts and prayers as you get through this difficult time.
Gloria
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Char I am so very very sorry :bawl: I know what you are going through and it is so hard. I am not sure what to say to make you feel better, don't think there is anything I could say except I am thinking of you and feel your pain ((( Char)))))

Ginger
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Oh Charla, my heart goes out to you...I know that right now the pain is so unbearable. I know you will have lots of tears and poor Champ will be lost. Gracie will always be with you in your heart & memories.

(((((Char)))))
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Oh no......I know what bloat is and even with my little guys I worry......I am sooooo sorry!!!! :bawl:
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

So sorry to hear about your fur-baby. No matter what the circumstance, it's such a hard thing to have to go through. Though ours is a cat and not a dog... we've done the late night run to the ER vet twice with our little Monkey for digestive issues, and it always scares me.

Hang in there... we're sending good thoughts your way...

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Charla, so, so sorry to hear about Gracie. Hugs to you.
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Charla, I'm so sorry to hear about Gracie. It's never easy to lose a pet, and just especially hard when it just comes
on so quickly.
I'm sure Champ is lost without her, too.
I'll be thinking of you.

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Thanks to all of you.

It is comforting to have a place where others understand what it means to lose a beloved pet.

I'm so very grateful for all your support.

As we all know, we'll be okay....it's just still at that stage where it is so hard to walk by an empty pen, quiet doghouse, etc. Grace was a good dog....and she is missed.

Thanks again.
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
New Topic Post Reply