Any tofu fans out there?

Use this area to share diet tips and weight loss recipes or secrets.

Moderator: Chris_W

janey

Any tofu fans out there?

Post by janey »

I probably wouldn't have tried this normally, but since the doc sort of scared the heck outta me, I decided to try grilling tofu.

Got the idea from the grocery store where I saw some tofu labled "steak tofu" and it had grill marks on it. Read the ingredients and only saw that garlic flavor had been added.

Tonight, steaks on the grill for dinner. But I sliced some firm tofu in about 1/2" slices, and marinated them in beef broth, some soy sauce, a lot of garlic and a little olive oil

Then I grilled the slices after the real steak was done.

Not bad!!! I will for sure try it again. Next time, I'll marinate longer, and grill longer as well.

Was it steak??? Nooooo. But it was sure an acceptable alternative. Next, I think I'll try marinating slices in chicken broth, then use some bbq sauce.

I sort of think this is like comparing stainless flatware to sterling....if you try to pass one off for the other, it's not going to work. But if you accept the substitute on it's own merits, it's just fine.

The other thing is that after I eat beef, I always feel overfed, overloaded, something! Not experiencing that now.

Anyone have suggestions, recipies, etc.????
Netcub

Dont like Tofu.

Post by Netcub »

But there are some great meat substitutes like boca burgers, and morningstar farms products. I never really acquired a taste for tofu but i like tvp and other substitutes.
zil1

Post by zil1 »

I really like deep fried tofu :lol: kind of defeats the purpose, don't ya think :P

I have never tried the steak tofu- since DH and I like it but have never tried cooking with it, I think I will give it a try.

You may want to look at www.cookinglight.com for some tofu recipes. I get that magazine and there always seems to be some tofu in there.

Good luck! :P
Liz- Mom to Evan James, b. 12/10/03 and Catherine & David 1/30/06
Zee

Post by Zee »

I LOOOOOOOOVE tofu in any way, shape or form.

In soups, chili, beverages, desserts, topped with grated ginger and sprinkled with soy sauce, stirfry, sandwiches, grilled.

Well, you get the idea.
Zee
Wheasie

Post by Wheasie »

Once I decided to make vegetables the main focus of the meal, it was amazing how meat became so insignificant. Took QUITE awhile as my dad was a butcher and meat was everything in the meal. I add protein by adding walnuts, almonds, peanuts, cashews, and TOFU to stir-fry veggies - also lots of snow-peas, sugar snap peas, green beans, etc. Sometimes even use diced meats - but am glad to have gotten away from meat as the focus of the meal. Feel better too.

Wheasie

(had to give up tofu in 2001 due to breast cancer - it has phyto-estrogens)
New Topic Post Reply