Body Fat Analysis

Use this area to share diet tips and weight loss recipes or secrets.

Moderator: Chris_W

JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Body Fat Analysis

Post by JaneG »

Has anyone had their body fat tested?

I recently bought a fancy digital scale that does weight AND body fat . . . I'm only 10-15 pounds overweight, but my body fat is 34%!!!!

According to the charts that's TERRIBLE!!

Could my body really be 1/3 fat??? If so, there's a small woman living inside me under all that fat! :o

They say women should be in the low 20's for body fat. My 34% seems ridiculous. I'm in (sort of) good shape.

Any know anything about body fat analysis??
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
impatience

Post by impatience »

EEEEWWWWWW!!!! I'm never stepping on one of those scales.

I obviously know nothing about this, but how could a scale tell what percentage of your body is fat? My husband used to do Olympic training (for cycling) at the Olympic Training Village in Colo. Springs and he said they would put them in water and check that way. Times have changed-but a scale? Hummmm..............

You're a brave woman!!
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've heard of the water method, and also a way where they measure certain parts of your body to determine body fat.

The scale uses an electric current. There are metal strips where you stand on the scale. You make sure your feet are damp and then step on the scale for a few seconds, it beeps and blinks for a moment, then comes up with your number. You can't feel anything, but from what I understand it uses an electric current. Fat, muscle, bone, and water all have different resistance or electrical properties, and somehow it can figure out your fat number. The instructions said that having A LOT of water could affect the number.

Your right, I never should have stepped on that dang thing!!! I was better off not knowing this! :lol: :lol:
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

I'd find it hard to believe that your body fat content is that high, Jane! (unless you've gained alot of weight since last summer! :lol: )

When I worked at the hospital they had one of those for an employee health incentive program. I'm too embarrassed to tell you my number but if I was made out of butter like that cow at the state fair......they could almost make 2 of me! :lol:
New Topic Post Reply