Is nobody losing weight this year.

Use this area to share diet tips and weight loss recipes or secrets.

Moderator: Chris_W

morgansrgr8
USDA Zone: 5

Is nobody losing weight this year.

Post by morgansrgr8 »

I guess everybody but me is doing great. I quit smoking a year ago and put on 20+. I really need to get rid of it since it is now starting to bother by lower back. Any tips other than telling hubby not to stop for an icecream
Linda
I know I am past the point of no return but what a way to go.

My Hosta List
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Re: Is nobody losing weight this year.

Post by nanny_56 »

Doing awful here...I put on 20 lbs. in the last year. Lots of stress with family issues and DH has learned to cook to darn good!! I have started back with a walking a mile everyday for right now. Start small and build...I usually try to do to much right off and injure myself then I am back to doing nothing again.
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
morgansrgr8

Post by morgansrgr8 »

Do you have a treadmill or walk outside?
Linda

My Hosta List
nanny_56

Post by nanny_56 »

I try to walk outside when I can, but I do have a treadmill too. I also have a set of DVD's by Leslie Sansone...Walk Away The Pounds, it is a walking inside program that is really good. I used to walk 5 miles a day....but after our dog died last summer I became very depressed and just stopped and did nothing and boy did the pounds find me! :evil:
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
govgirl75

Post by govgirl75 »

I am losing weight this year. The pounds crept up on me over the last 25 years and I found myself 70 lbs over my optimum weight. I am more than half way done and feel better and have more energy.
I think you need to find what works for you. Since you only put on weight after you quit smoking (congratulations, by the way) you probably already know how to balance calorie intake and exercise to maintain your healthy weight, so it is just a matter of getting rid of those pesky 20 lbs.
Some of the things that are working for me:
I keep track of calories and exercise on my Iphone with an app called "The Daily Burn". It also helped me figure out how many calories I need to maintain and/or lose weight. The website is available online, too. There are lots of sites like that and they can be helpful and fun to play with. Check them out.
I don't make time for exercise, I TAKE time for exercise. I am not an exercise enthusiast. Just don't like it, never did. Now, I see it as a daily maintenance routine, just like brushing my teeth or taking a shower. I just do it without thinking much about it. I use a treadmill in the winter, walk in the summer and use some exercise routines I saw in Prevention magazine to improve core strength. Our cable has an exercise channel on demand with all kinds of exercise for all levels of ability. Maybe you have that, too.
For now, I cook a very limited range of foods and measure everything. I tend to stray easily, so it is better for me to know ahead of time what I am going to eat every day. I eat lots of egg whites, broiled or baked fish or chicken, whole grain bread, fresh and frozen veges, and Greek yogurt. I also treat myself with a Skinny Cow frozen treat or 100 calorie pack of snack food every day. Yeah, they are wicked expensive, but they are a treat that I can enjoy while the family is having dessert. Oh, and I have tried a new product, Mio. It is a flavoring you put into water. It tastes great and makes it easier to drink lots of water.
Good luck on your diet. Getting started is the hardest part, but once you get rolling, it is OK.
Glo
morgansrgr8

Post by morgansrgr8 »

Wondering how everybody was doing. So far this year I have lost 20lbs. Remember when I wrecked my motorcycle in 08, well its come back to haunt me. I woke up one morning and couldnt open my mouth. LOL Doc put me on a soft diet and sent me to therapy. So no more stopping for a burger. Not allowed to bite into anything. Mostly steamed veggies and such. With that said went to the doc yesterday and my bloodpressure was 120 over 60. I cant remember when its been that good. Soooo I guess this soft diet thing is working very well for me. I do have a craving for a good juicy burger tho. :lol: Not worth the pain. Maybe I could cut it up into little pieces. haha
Linda

My Hosta List
nanny_56

Post by nanny_56 »

Well....I added 5 more pounds!! :evil: :( :oops:
Claudia
jonbry123
USDA Zone: 6b

Post by jonbry123 »

Just saw this forum and a question about weight loss and who did. A few things I wanted to mention. I've been a type 1 diabetic since the age of 1 so food consumption and what I'm eating has always been a top priority for me. Being overweight for many has become a serious problem for many. It seems that no matter what many try they just can't lose the weight. To begin with some are naturally inclined through genetics to carry a few more pounds than they like. We have to stop worrying about what the media says you should look like. God made you the way you are and if there are some who tell you otherwise then you don't need them in your life. Now for the facts and I'll tell you where to go to research the information I'm going to provide.

1. One of the leading if not primary reason people have problems losing weight is due to sugar primarily High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS). This insideous sugar is in almost all processed foods-check your labels. When a person consumes food the Pancreas produces an enzyme called CCK which tells you you are full. HFCS affects this process. It is also linked to Obesity, Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome along with numerous other health conditions. "High fructose corn syrup is is not something that should be in your diet at all. But HFCS is the primary caloric sweetener in U.S. soft drinks. Researchers estimate that most Americans eat 132 calories of HFCS per day, while the top 20 percent of sweetener consumers eat over 300. And some, they say, eat as much as 700 calories per day of HFCS." Not only is it in soda but nearly all juices and almost all processed foods-again look at the labels on the food in your kitchen and the grocery store. Remove this all man made sugar from your diet and watch the pounds fall off.

The second thing I wanted to comment on is particularly type 11 Diabetes. Some of you who have weight problems may have this. The Pancreas as most know produces Insulin which helps regulate sugar or glucose in the blood stream this enzyme enables glucose to penetrate the cell wall so it can be utilized as food by all cells in our body. When insulin is not present the glucose remains in the blood stream which is harmful but low blood sugar is also just as bad but for another discussion. With so many on low animal fat diets which is supposed to be healthy-which it isn't why is cancer, heart disease, obesity and diabetes at plague levels in this country? Diet,diet,diet. It's as much as what your eating as what your not eating causing the epidemic levels of these diseases we now have. In addition to Insulin the Pancreas also produces digestive enzymes not the stomach. Before all the processed food became common place most food we ate was natural grown or raised. These foods contained natural enzymes which when consumed helped the body digest food. Now that most food or nearly all food many people eat is processed all the natural enzymes hav
Jon
jonbry123

Post by jonbry123 »

Oops accidently hit the enter button. As I was saying the enzymes have all been destroyed by processing primarily from heat. So what happens when you eat processed food? It causes your Pancreas to work harder producing more digestive enzymes then would be the case if the food eaten was all natural. Given the huge consumption in American's diets of processed food the Pancreas is wearing out as it was never designed to produce so many enzymes. With HFCS in so many foods it is also overproducing Insulin as well. If your overweight remove as much sugar as you can and remove all HFCS from your diet and watch the weight fall off. The best thing you can do is eat as much naturally grown and raised food as possible eating as much as you can raw not cooked or lightly cooked if possible. I won't go into any details about consumption of store bought homogenized milk as apposed to fresh raw milk but if drinking the former and you have type 11 diabetes-STOP drinking it immediately but everyone should stop drinking store bought pastuerized milk and only raw. For complete information on the things I have discussed please go to www.mercola.com. Dr. Mercola is the most highly regarded nutritional MD in the world. His website is used by millions worldwide and you will find everything in the website that I have touched on. Thanks.
Jon
rockNhostas
USDA Zone: 4a

Post by rockNhostas »

Yep, sugar and processed foods are absolutely horrible.

I've slowly been switching my family over to a whole foods diet. I've lost weight without effort and without feeling hungry. Everyone in the house feels better.
We eat primarily fish that we catch, bison and venison for meats. Organic fruits, vegetable, nuts and brown rice. Also organic cage free eggs. Just found a source for organic grass fed beef, pork and poultry now too, so I am going to get some of that. Right now, we purchase most of our organic fruits and veggies from local farmers. When the season is over, we choose the organic ones in the grocery store. Costs a little more, but makes up for it in the noticeable taste difference. Hopefully we will have our own garden someday. Too busy with hostas right now, LOL. I like to support local farmers who raise quality foods. Eating fresh grown foods is just more satisfying, and we don't even crave the snack stuff anymore.
morgansrgr8

Post by morgansrgr8 »

I have noticed the difference in how I feel without eating all the processed food. Mostly have cut out the bread. I feel bloated when I eat processed foods. Losing about a pound a week without trying to. Its a win win. :beer: I know the beer isnt good either. :lol:
Linda

My Hosta List
jonbry123

Post by jonbry123 »

RockNhost you got it right. Natural unprocessed and cooked as little as possible will reward you with a long healthy life. If you don't, consider drinking fresh raw milk just as our grandparents did and all others before them. Big dairy and the government who are in bed together want you to think that it is dangerous to do so. But the fact is more people get sick from store bought pasteurized milk than fresh raw milk because it is so loaded with toxins and dead bacteria. If you look at pasteurized milk from the typical store it has no similarity for what nature made. It is pasteurized to kill the numerous harmful bacteria that is in it. It's loaded with pesticides, antibiotics, high levels of pus, rBGH- a cancerous growth hormone and because it has been cooked-pasteurized all the vitamins, enzymes and a whole list of natural elements have been destroyed. Even the calcium in the milk is altered from pasteurization so that our bodies are unable to absorb. People who are lactose intolerant often find they are able to drink fresh raw milk because the natural enzymes which breakdown the lactose remain intact. The Mayo Clinic which you are probably familiar with was started by Dr. William Worrall Mayo and his sons. A common treatment they used to cure many diseases at the time was fresh raw milk. It is so highly nutritous that it used to be called "White Blood." Personally I can't imagine ever drinking store bought milk again and the taste is just unbelievable. Store bought Organic milk-no good except it doesn't have all the toxins in it. It's pasteurized also and the heat has destroyed all the beneficial elements in it. But don't take my word for it use Dr. Mercola's website I gave above and the internet to research drinking fresh raw milk.
Jon
rockNhostas
USDA Zone: 4a

Post by rockNhostas »

We buy fresh milk from a local dairy store. Easy to do where we live. Store bought milk isn't even close to what milk should taste like!
morgansrgr8

Post by morgansrgr8 »

Ahhhhh the good old days. I remember as a kid working on a dairy and having fresh milk drawn from the cooler tank. While raising my grandson I got a goat to give him fresh milk. He was a happy baby.
Linda

My Hosta List
boops

Post by boops »

Hubby on WW-lost 20 but can't seem to get the last 15 off. I myself can't eat fried food, dairy or raw veggies cause of stomach issues caused by stress. I Don't eat fast food or frozen meals I don't use sugar, I use straight stevia. Grind my own chop meat and pork so I can control the amount of fat in it. My downfall-pasta. Cut my portions in 1/2 and eat only whole wheat now and lost 5 lbs. Happy with my weight-concerned with hubby tho. wish he would lose more for health reasons.
My Hosta List

Do one thing everyday that makes you happy
jonbry123

Post by jonbry123 »

Boops unfortunately I don't believe you can buy raw milk in NY thanks to the dairy industry however, the common belief and what all the doctors tell you about eating meat is a lie. Yes a study was done in 1951 about consumption of meat and fat from it. Of course the study stated that doing so was not healthy. So food congolmerates that make plant oils grabbed onto that and began to promote their oils as healthy when in fact they are not. All are rancid and they add chemicals to cover up the rancidity. Furthermore most scientific studies done on the consumption of animal meat and fat have found that those who consume higher amounts are healthier. Most people who become vegetarians suffer from numerous illnesses that disappear once they return to eating meat. And that is eating meat from farm animals not injected with toxic chemicals, pesticides and growth hormones. Some of the longest living cultures such as the Eskimos, the Masai in Africa and others consume most of their calories from animal fats. All this information is available to anyone who wants to look at this. I won't even go into the lies that have been perpetuated by the pharmacutical industry to sell cholesterol lower drugs. Fact is most people do even understand the value of this element which your body produces by the liver and gets rid of any excess in the body-to detailed for me to go into here but learn the truth. You might say but the health field says this stuff is bad for me. Who promotes the use of so many drugs-doctors and who trained them-universities-who provides the funding for the schools to operate-the pharmacutical industry. Again if your interested in knowing truth and what is actual lie go to www.mercola.com. I explained above who Dr. Mercola is and why millions belong to the website. There's a research box at the top of the web page just type in anything concerning disease a type of food or anything relating to health and you will find numerous articles and all backup up with scientific evidence.
Jon
boops

Post by boops »

Thanks Jon-I don't believe anything much about all the hype with eating red meat. My parents were meat, veggies and potato people (and pasta lol) they both lived well into their 80's, my grandfather lived till 102. So I just eat what I like-just so happens fried food makes my digestive system go awry. I became Lactose Intolerant 15 years ago all of a sudden, I drink soy and eat greek yogurt. Other than that I eat the same way my parents and grandparents ate, I personally hate doctors, I take no medication or vitamins. I used to take prilosec-but my dentist warned me against it that it would deteriorate my jaw bones. So I stopped using it and now its all over the news that those products cause bone loss. I do grow my own veggies with no pesticides so I can have a salad without genectically engineered produce. I don't buy prechopped ground meats as I saw on TV that alot of it is scraps and they add this pink "slime" to make it look edible. So I prefer to grind my own from meat that is labeled "hormone free" if there's any truth to it. I don't use splenda or truvia or sweet n low-all garbage. So -I do the best I can with the things at hand, I know the health industry is a money making business and lies all the time-as does the government. there will always be people that overindulge in food-however if they stop eating the garbage served at fast food restaurants-you would see a sharp drop in obesity. If people listen to the health industry they might as well shoot themselves now-one day its good for you one day its not. If they knew what they were doing-there wouldn't be so many lawsuits and recalls of meds. Most people rather take the easy way out and take a pill. My mother refused any med's the doc. tried to give her her words were "I'm not taking a pill for arthritis so my liver can fall out" ! she lived to 89 with all her faculties and a sharp mind. I am 58 years old, and keep up with people half my age physically and mentally with no problems. I have been fit all my life as I don't sit down much. The only chemicals I use are cosmetics, sunblock and advil when necessary. I will investigate the web site you have recommended and let u know what I think. Thanks again!
My Hosta List

jonbry123

Post by jonbry123 »

Boops glad to hear of another person who is wise to the way of the medical industry, government, and food producers. I'm very active in a number of organizations in bringing the truth about these issues to light. Currently a major group I'm active with is "Just Label It." A major effort is underway in California to require labeling of foods that contain GM-Genetically Modified crops in foods we buy. Monsanto which produces most of the corn and soybean grown in this country is fighting this effort. Why because we now know that these crops are heavily sprayed with Glycophosate which is the main ingredient found in Roundup which they also manufacture and is in all GM foods. Scientific proof shows this toxin causes numerous diseases and damage to us. Most other country's including the EU have banned use of GM crops and all that contain such food are banned from import. Since California is so large it is believed that companies will stop purchasing GM foods since they would not want to have dual labeling. You may be familiar with this issue as many Americans are now demanding that this is labeled so they can know what is in the food we eat. More than 100,000,000 Californians have signed the petition to have foods sold in the state labeled. We feel very strongly that this is going to be approved by ballot in November. When Vermont and Massachusetts tried to push a bill through to do the same Monsanto threaten to sue them and they backed down but California is too big for them to do that. We now know that after 25 years of spraying Roundup which the farmers who buy seed from Monsanto use as they have to buy it that more than 70% of our water tests positive for Glycophosate. France's supreme court recently found Monsanto guilty of lying about the use of Roundup and that it breaks down and has no soil effectivity. The use of Roundup has now been banned in the country and Monsanto is facing numerous lawsuits from farmers who have been poisoned by prolonged use of this herbicide. All this information is also available in www.mercola.com as Dr. Mercola is very active in exposing issues such as this.
Jon
boops

Post by boops »

I read some of the articles in at the Mercola site. I had asked my dentist years ago not to do so many xrays on me as I really am not fond of getting brain problems from the excessive radiation and had also told him I think thats why there is such an upswing in the amount of breast cancer as too many people get too many tests, xrays and the like. Dr. Mercolas' article seals the deal for me regarding mammograms. I can't see how shooting people with radiation all the time can be useful. I also truly agree that there are cures for cancer and many other diseases but they are such money makers for the Pharma., specialists, hospitals & the government etc, etc. that it will never be revealed. Again my mother had told her doctor she believed the same thing regarding a cure for cancer and he had no answer for her nor did he say she was wrong. The TV ads promoting all these ridiculous pills and then telling you the side effects-who in their right mind would take them? I won't even go into the lies this government expects you believe as I don't post about politics or religion. There are more chemicals in the groundwater than you can shake a stick at. I applaud your "food labeling" law, I wish NY would do the same. It seems the only thing the Mayor is interested in is obesity & smoking, not the poisoning of the entire population. I think fast food & alcohol ads should be banned as were the cigarette ads. There are more new diseases popping up and there has to be a reason for it and your "roundup chemical" could be one of many. Also the increase in "autism" in children & birth defects is scary and I also think its caused by polluted air, water and soil and the fact that pregnant women are ignorant enough to take anti-depressants during pregnancy when the docs don't even want you drinking coffee during the pregnancy and to limit fish in your diet (poisoned with mercury) and of course now there are ads to sue the companies that made the anti-depressants. Unfortunately, it appears not too many people have common sense. I wish you luck with your efforts and hope many more people follow suit. Oh and now I will no longer drink soy milk after reading about Monsanto spraying their soy crops with poison. Luckily I don't eat corn or too many corn products. Also Now I will not purchase any Monsanto products. I worry daily about my grandchildrens future.
My Hosta List

jonbry123

Post by jonbry123 »

Oh my yes the use of X-rays and Mammograms is such a lie in helping prevent cancer as you found out in Dr. Mercola's website. Truly the lies are so previlent in so much of our culture and society I sometimes wonder if there are enough of us fighting to right what is wrong and is it worth it? Monsanto is truly one of the most evil companies to have ever been created. Do you know that a GM corn plant is patented just like some hostas. Farmers growing non GM corn are being sued by Monsanto because the farmer next to him does. So when pollinators such as bees carry pollen from the GM corn to the farmer's corn that is non GM corn and pollinates that corn it therefore transfers patented DNA material to the non GM corn plant. The seeds that result carry the patented GM corn DNA. Therefore Monsanto then sues the farmer for harvesting corn seeds which contain their patented DNA genetic material. Ah but here's the catch, they drop the lawsuit if the farmer agrees to buy their seeds and Roundup. No doubt the labeling law will pass in California this fall. Just to many people are now aware of the toxins in foods containing GM food products. Since food manufacturers will not want to have dual labeling for California and then a different label for the rest of the country where they sell their food stuffs we are certain that the use of GM foods will no longer be used. This happened to both Coca Cola and Pepsi a number of years ago. They were using a chemical in the soda for coloring which was not to cause cancer. They were sued by a state I believe California to remove it from their ingredients. They fought and lost so they decided to remove the toxin all together. But people can help fight companies like Monsanto buy not buying their products particularly Roundup and and corn or soybean products. Oh by the way Soybean milk and any soybean derivatives-so not healthy. Use Almond Milk instead very good for you or drink raw cow's milk if you can it. Those who suffer from lactose intolerance find they can drink raw milk as the enzymes that occur naturally in raw milk have not been destroyed by pasteurization.
Jon
New Topic Post Reply