I was bad...and it felt GOOD

Ask craft related questions, share your current projects, your dream project, or show us your talent!

Moderators: Chris_W, Soummer

janet

I was bad...and it felt GOOD

Post by janet »

I went to JoAnn Fabrics this morning to return two teddy bear patterns that I decided I didn't like enough to make. That's all...just return some patterns. In and out. Yeah, right. :roll:

Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted signs for 40% off quilting fabric and 50% off Christmas prints. I picked out eight bolts, got half a yard of each (my usual stash yardage), and when I saw how small the total price was, I went and got eight more and had those cut. And then...

You fabric junkies out there know the rest of the story...thirty-six bolts of fabric later :o , I was done. I got 36 half yards of simply yummy fabric for less than $28 if you include the credit for the patterns (which, of course, I do and I'm an accountant so it must be the proper way to do it, right? :wink: ). Lordy, it felt good!! :D

Then I got back here and read skeeter's post on the Hosta forum about Ruth passing away. Remember, she was a fabric junkie, too, making all kinds of goodies and begging jeans for raggy quilts. It made me smile that I bought all that quilting cotton today (it's been a long time since I went nuts like that :oops: )...and I bet Ruth is up there smiling at it, too! She would most certainly understand!! And she will be missed. :cry:
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
Lionitus

Post by Lionitus »

Janet, yaaaaa for you! I love to read about the fun people have with the things they are passionate about. For me, it's plants and cross stitch. Can't have too many plants or cross stitch patterns and supplies. And yes, I'll bet Ruth is smiling for you too! Life is short so have fun!

Lionitus
NaKeDgArDeNeR

Post by NaKeDgArDeNeR »

I'm like that when I go to the nurseries in the spring..yes, it feels great!! This year I'm going to buy me a sewing machine and learn to sew!! It's been my life long dream to learn to sew and play the piano...after 39 years I'm going to do it! The tomboy in me is going to learn some patience and I'm going to learn to sew!! Gosh, this is a big step for me :???:
hostanquilts
USDA Zone: 5

Post by hostanquilts »

Hi Janet - Good for you!!! I'm a fabric junkie too. Our LQS is have a NYs sale today - 25% off fabric & I've got my list ready & am planning on getting enough fabric to do 3 quilts and any other fab that I can't live without. :D
And yes, I can just see Ruth up there saying "Go girl"!!
Jan

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble
remembering how to fly."

My Hosta List
janet

Post by janet »

:lol: So, how much did you get, Jan?? :wink: Come on, 'fess up!!
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Thanks Jan, yea how much did you pick up? :eek: A gal can't have enough fabric, right? :o
hostanquilts

Post by hostanquilts »

I don't remember the yardage, but New Years day, I spent $149. Then I went back Monday & bought $89 more. I had forgotten to get backing for 2 of the projects and then I saw a batik that I couldn't resist. :0 :???: I was bad, but DH said he didn't care, as long as I used it. May not use it right away, but down the road I sure hope too!! :roll:
Jan

remembering how to fly."

My Hosta List
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

You mean you have to use the fabric? :roll:

Joanne's had a nice sale before Christmas and I wound up making personality bedding for each of my grandchildren. Jan, can you post a picture of that quilt you made last year?
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
hostanquilts

Post by hostanquilts »

Mary Ann, Which quilt are you referring to? I made a Landscape quilt & a Twisted Bargello. Of course, I guess I could post both of them. Let me see if I can find them right quick.
Attachments
LandscapeQltA.JPG
Jan

remembering how to fly."

My Hosta List
hostanquilts

Post by hostanquilts »

Here is the Twisted Bargello.
Attachments
TwistedBargello3.JPG
Jan

remembering how to fly."

My Hosta List
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Yes, that's it. You posted before about how you created it. The Twisted Bargello is also truly awesome. How do you display them?
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
hostanquilts

Post by hostanquilts »

I haven't quilted them yet. :) But when I do, I plan on putting a hanging sleeve on the back & then hang them with a small rod on the wall.
Jan

remembering how to fly."

My Hosta List
wild4flowers

Post by wild4flowers »

Both of those are just beautiful. I'm in love. Thanks for sharing. CHAR
janet

Post by janet »

This one is still on the frame so you can't see the top row, but I kind of like the way it turned out. :oops: My daughter lives in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia...it's for her.
jd in nh
janet's list
hostanquilts

Post by hostanquilts »

Wow Janet your quilt looks neat. Did you sewing the circles individually? I haven't ventured to try circles like that in a quilt yet. Do you hand piece your blocks or machine? I've done a little hand pieceing, but the sewing machine is so much faster.
Jan
Jan

remembering how to fly."

My Hosta List
Gardendollee

Post by Gardendollee »

Oh my are those quilts fantastic! I just love them! Good Job!
Gardendollee
Dolly * My Hosta List
janet

Post by janet »

Thanks Jan. No, machine pieced and (eventually!) hand quilted. The blocks are Drunkard's Path, using mostly strip sets and a few solid pieces. The smaller circles (nine of them) are appliqued on top. After quilting, it will be embellished with some small antique beads (blue-black and silver). I really like working with curves...this was my first attempt.
jd in nh
janet's list
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Janet, that's beautiful! It certainly shows how the design and color choice can impact a quilt. The coloring is perfect for the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Jan, I don't remember seeing your landscape quilt before, very interesting how you can create a picture with the quilt. Nice work!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

My goodness, ladies!! Those quilts are all works of art!! All just gorgeous! You're a talented bunch! :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Justme

Post by Justme »

JoAnn's had $1 off their quilting cottons, so I had to get some for a "stash", well, actually I got 2 dozen 1/2 yard pieces :lol: I is the cheep stuff 2 or 3 dollars a yard, but as I have everything yet to learn about making quilts there is no sense in spending big $ on the 'good' stuff yet.

You all are truly horrible enablers! Another hobby/obsession, just what I didn't need. :evil: :lol: :lol:

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
New Topic Post Reply