Fire Truck Quilt - TWO Raffle Results!

Ask craft related questions, share your current projects, your dream project, or show us your talent!

Moderators: Chris_W, Soummer

JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Fire Truck Quilt - TWO Raffle Results!

Post by JaneG »

I just finished the binding on this tied quilt last night. It goes on display Sunday for a raffle for my local volunteer fire department. I finished the piecing in November but didn't get anyone lined up to machine quilt it for me. Then the holidays came and and everyone was booked up. So I ended up tying it with red yarn. It would have looked so much better quilted. :( Hopefully when I get my new sewing machine I'll be able to do some machine quilting for myself! :D

Anyway, the story with this quilt is that this year I had trouble finding any "fire truck/fire fighter" related fabric. Last year I found flannel with firemen, fire trucks and dalmations on it. In the past I had a panel with Clifford the Dog as a fireman. All sorts of cute things. But this year all I could find was black with these old fire trucks on it. Cute, but a little dark for a quilt. Also, no one carried it as yard goods, all I could find was a total of 8 fat quarters from 2 different shops. I tried to brighten it up with red and gold, I don't really like the color combination, but I didn't have much to work with. :roll: Actually, the red has little black dots that you can't see, and the gold isn't really a solid, it's shades of gold blended together (actually called "Blenders Gold").

I had to do large blocks in order to get at least one complete fire truck in each block, and I couldn't affort to waste fabric by fussy cutting since I only had those 8 fat quarters.

Anyway, here's the finished quilt. A pic of the whole thing and then a close-up so you can see the fabric I was stuck trying to work with. The first pic is a little fuzzy.

But on a positive note, I'm getting better with triangles and sewing on the bias without deforming the square! Also, nearly every one of the intersections where 6 pieces come together to matches up perfectly!! I was SO tickled!! Love it when that happens! :lol:
Attachments
FireQuiltSmall.jpg
WholeQuiltSmall.jpg
Last edited by JaneG on Mar 02, 2005 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

Jane, you're way too critical! I think it's very, very nice! I like all the fabrics! Way to go girl! :D
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

I think you did a very good job with the design. Now how do I buy raffle tickets? DD and SIL are volunteer firefighters.
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Jane it looks great! Very nice job. So what's the trick with those 6 pieces coming together? :) You're scaring me :eek: into thinking i've bitten off more than I can chew taking the class starting this tuesday!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Thanks Pat!

Victoria, cheers for your DD and SIL, volunteers are so important. I'm an EMT on our department. Our annual fundraiser is Pancake & Sausage breakfasts held every Sunday in February. There is also a raffle with various donated items, including my quilt and a 32" TV. Tickets are on sale all month and the drawing will be on the last Sunday in February. We sell tickets for $1 or 6 for $5. If you are serious about wanting in the raffle, PM me.

Jane, I'm talking about having the seams match up, so the seams in each row meet the seams in the next row. No problem, you'll do fine in class. Besides, unless your quilt is being judged they don't have to be perfect! I had to cancel my class because of conflicts with my work schedule. I'm going to sign up for the next round of classes.
JaneG
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Fortunately, I am not working right now, so I do have the time. And I found out I can pay for the first class and get both patterns and material for 2 quilts sets and then if you get them done each month before the next class, you get the next class free! Whhoooooooho!
Justme

Post by Justme »

Very Nice Quilt. Esp. as you couldn't find what you really wanted.

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I'm not a quilter , but I think it looks wonderful! I like the colors too. Nice job. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Well done, Jane. :D My son is also a fireman.
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I'm not a quilter, or sewer of any type, but Jane, that is just beautiful!! The trucks on it are awesome!! :D

Excellent job!! :D
jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

Beautiful work, Jane. I think the colors are great. You can be proud of that achievement.
wild4flowers

Post by wild4flowers »

Nice job Jane. You can be proud of it. Someone will pretty lucky to get this handmade quilt. If you were going to keep it, then the color scheme would be different for you, but whoever wins this will be a very happy camper. CHAR
hostanquilts

Post by hostanquilts »

Great job Jane!! It looks great & I know how you feel when those points all come together!
Jan

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble
remembering how to fly."

My Hosta List
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

It looks great Jane! :cool: I think the red, gold and black make a nice contrast. 8-) I guess I'm used to black and red together. DS#1 had a Bulls comforter on his bed for years. :wink:
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

What comes around goes around . . . funny turn of events . . .

First, thanks for all the comments on my Fire Truck Quilt. The raffle was held on Sunday and the winner has two little boys, in Kindergarten and 2nd grade, so hopefully they will like the fire trucks.

Living in a small town we are always supporting local efforts, like the volunteer fire department. A few weeks ago I bought raffle tickets from the library. They were raising funds for their kids summer reading program and to make the library handicap accessible. The raffle items included an American Girl Doll, an afghan, a quilt, and a $125 certificate for a customized garden stone. (I was hoping to win the stone, but really just bought the tickets to support the library.)

Guess what?? The raffle was yesterday and I won the quilt!!! Just two days after raffling off a quilt I made! Funny how things turn out!

The quilt I won was made by a local woman who does one every year for the library raffle. It's made from small gingham-like prints in soft colors and is really very pretty. With a cuddly flannel back. I'll take a pic tonight and post it.

EDIT to add picture . . .
Attachments
LibraryQuilt2005.jpg
Last edited by JaneG on Mar 03, 2005 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
JaneG
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

hmmmmmmmm....still waiting for that pic there JaneH! :) Congrats on the winning! :)
wild4flowers

Post by wild4flowers »

A very pretty prize you won. I'm sure the woman who made it put her heart and soul into it. And it probably doesn't match anything you have.
The colors are nice and pastel, and if I had made it, or you, or you, the color scheme would be entirely different. But it looks like she did a good job.

CHAR
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Very pretty. Easter colors :)
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Yes Char, it's very nice. I have a spare bedroom that is done with a light blue hue, this quilt will look nice on the bed in that room. You are right about everyone having different tastes, and how a different color scheme can entirely change the look of a quilt, even if done in the same blocks.

Jane, I thought the same thing, very spring-y Easter colors!
JaneG
hostanquilts

Post by hostanquilts »

Hi Jane,
It's great that you won that quilt!! It is really pretty!
Jan

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble
remembering how to fly."

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply