Double Wedding Ring Ugh!

Ask craft related questions, share your current projects, your dream project, or show us your talent!

Moderators: Chris_W, Soummer

Kas

Double Wedding Ring Ugh!

Post by Kas »

Hi everyone,

Just needed to vent a little. I started my Wedding Ring quilt class last night. Somehow I got behind the rest of the class (I didn't even take my break) and didn't get the best of instruction on how to put the darn thing together. Plus my quarter inch seams were not quite that big, so my arcs were too long and got pleats when joined to the melon pieces. I know this is all greek to those who haven't made one of these quilts, but I would have to draw a pic to really explain. Well, I came home and was up until 1:00 am fixing my seams :evil:. That's when I realized I might not have listened so well to the directions on which way to press and how to get the big center sections sewn to the melons the best way. I can call the instructor, but it is so much easier to see it in person. The next class isn't until the 24th.

So I am going to be spending the next three weeks getting as much done of these two quilts as I can. Then I have to get the baby's quilt done before he arrives (due April 15th) and in looking at the fabric yesterday, it looks like I am missing a suitable inner border that will work with the pattern. :x And I thought I had all the particulars worked out for that one. And yesterday was triple punch day on the card they give you. They punch a hole in it for every dollar you spend and when it's full, you get $25 worth of merchandise free. So I could have gotten three punches for every dollar instead of just one. Oh well. I do have a card that is full, so the bright side is I won't have to pay for whatever fabric I get unless I can't find it at this quilt shop and have to go somewhere else.

O.k. I am starting to feel better now. Jane, have you worked on your quilt anymore? How are your seams going? We can reverse sew together! That is what I have some more to do of this morning. This early morning thanks to my sons (ten and eight) who were playing x box this morning at 6:30 quite loudly. They woke up their little sister (almost three) who then woke me with a very sweet "Mommy wake up! It's a beautiful day!" so here I am complaining. Doesn't make sense, does it. I have so many blessings. O.k. No more wanking over here. Back to work!

Thanks for listening anyway!
Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

I'm sure they will be BEAUTIFUL when you finish them. Double wedding ring quilts are very pretty, but I've never done one myself. I'm too scared of the curves!

Does the instructor also work at the quilt shop? If so, could you stop by sometime when she's there and show her what you've done so far and ask for some tips? I'm sure she'd be glad to help.

Be sure to show us the pictures when you are done!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
hostanquilts

Post by hostanquilts »

Hi Kas,
I haven't made a double wedding ring quilt yet, but I have made one with some curves. My instructor, said to put the bigger piece on the bottom & the smaller piece on the top & pin, pin, pin, that way you can ease it all in without getting the puckers. Be sure to mark the center of each curve & about 1/2 way in between those marks & the end pieces & pin them. Then pin the area in between. I hope this is clearer then mud, but beings you are working on it, hopefully it will be. By putting the larger piece on the bottom, it will ease into the shorter top better.
Jan

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble
remembering how to fly."

My Hosta List
janet

Post by janet »

I sew curves a lot (mostly I guess) and find it's much easier to pin and sew with the concave (or dale or fuller) piece on the top. That way you can ease in the fullness, see trouble before it happens, and avoid puckers and pleats. Jan is right, lots of pins is a key...the sharper the curve, the more pins. I probably pin every half inch or so on quarter circles. Stitching slowly is another key, and keep it turning (counterclockwise) as you sew. Bet you're really confused now! Can't help you with the pressing, sorry.
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
Kas

Post by Kas »

Well, I am getting less confused as I work on it. We are useing Sharlene Jorgenson's template and book set. The instructions say to always sew the big center piece (concave) on top of the melon piece (convex). I am not sure why. It does seem to work well. Up till now the only curves I have sewn for a quilt have been hand pieced. Seems just so much easier to ease by hand. I haven't emailed the instructor yet. Been too busy sewing the arc pieces. She is an accountant, so it is unusual to see her at the shop at the times I usually am there.

Janet, was it you who is making that Blue Ridge quilt? That is just absolutely awesome! I just love it. And that you are hand quilting it is really cool too. I haven't done that yet. I think it is so much nicer looking, too.

Thanks everyone for all the help. I will need help posting pics when it is all over. I think once I figure out how to resize them I will be ok.

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Kas, don't forget the pics as you go! :) Would love to see that in the process! DD is getting married this year and I thought about doing a wall hanging for that, but after this one, not sure! :(

I just posted a question to yourself and anyone else that can help about the 54-40 pattern! UGH!! :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Kas

Post by Kas »

Jane, I have some pics, but still haven't figured out how to resize them to fit the forum. I need to find some software that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Any suggestions? As for the quilt, I am almost done with the piecing of the first one. I found the best way to keep it all accurate was to put each individual arc on top of the H template (seamless arc piece) to make sure it would fit. Sharlene suggests doing that on just the first one to check your sewing. I think it is important for each one. Putting it all together is going real fast. The long pole in the tent is all the pinning that has to be done to get the melons all together. The rest goes fast.

Kas
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Man, I am sorry, could've sworn I replied to this! :oops:

If you'd like send them to me private and I'll shrink them down if you want :)
hostanquilts

Post by hostanquilts »

KAS,
How are you doing on your Wedding Ring Quilt? A friend of mine is a nurse in a nursing home & she has a lady she takes care of who made one in 1960 & it was needing to be washed, but needed repaired first, so she asked me if I would give it a try, & I agreed. It was made scrappy & some of the squares were completely disintergrated & others just falling apart. I replaced all the bad ones, but we are leaving for Mena, AR tomorrow morning, so I gave it back to her until I get back, just in case the lady decides she needs it. They are going to hand wash it while I'm gone. I got some quilt soap at the LQS for them to wash it with. I really fell in love with that quilt, so I think that I'm going to have to make me one, one of these days. I'l try to post a picture of it. Also, one of the areas that were bad, but I had already repaired the worst ones before I thought about taking a picture.
Jan in Central Illinois
Attachments
RepairQlt7a.JPG
RepairQlt8a.JPG
RepairQlt1a.jpg
Jan

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble
remembering how to fly."

My Hosta List
Kas

Post by Kas »

Oh, my goodness, Jan! That is absolutely beautiful! How did you repair it? All those little pieces! Mine only has six segments to each arc and I am machine piecing it. I just marvel at the time it took to make a quilt before rotary cutting and chain piecing! Wow!

I have got one of the tops done and am working on the second. After much thought, I shrunk the projects by one row each. So instead of being six by eight rings, they are five by seven rings. I still haven't decided on a backing for either of them, but I will do that soon. My baby is due in three weeks and I wanted to have them both quilted and bound by then. That way I can get the babies quilt done before he is at the creeper stage and won't stay on it anymore! :lol: :lol:

I will see about getting DH to help me with the pic thing. I will keep you all posted!

Kas
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

So????????? Has dh run away or when ya going to post pics? :D
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Kas??????? Did you ever get the pics taken of your double wedding ring quilt? :)
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Well Kas, the baby is here! Did you make your deadline of finishing them before Ben arrived??? :D
JaneG
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Ya think she's too busy for us :roll: :lol:

SHe's probably napping! Yeah, taking a break and just doesn't have time for us anymore :cry:
Kas

Post by Kas »

OK. The answer is no. I haven't finished either one yet. Ray's parents top is done, but I haven't decided on a backing fabric or quilt pattern yet. My folk's is all cut out, but not all put together yet. Same thing with the back and the quilting. And to top it all off, I haven't even started Ben's quilt yet. As for the pics, let me see if I can remember how to do this. What I have is the rough draft so to speak. I took a bunch of the melons and arranged them in different ways to see which way I was going to make the two quilts. I will try to post them both on this reply. Here goes. No pressure, now. :o

Kas

1st pic is how Ray's parent's is layed out, 2nd is my parent's. Very rough. I need to take pics of the actual tops.
Attachments
Doublw wedding ring project 038.jpg
Doublw wedding ring project 040.jpg
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Hey look! We nagged her enough that she finally posted pictures!!! Yeah!!! :lol:

Wow, those are going to be so nice!! Those are the same strips and pieces, just arranged differently, right? Amazing the different effect you can get just by re-arranging the pieces and making a few subtle changes. Beautiful! (The second one is my favorite)
JaneG
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

:lol: The 'Jane Gang' did it! :lol:

Kas, they'll be beautiful when you finish! I like the second best too, but they are both beautiful! man, I want to do that so bad for dsd's wedding! :( I know I"d never get it done by august though.........Maybe their first anniversary :)

Good going hon!
Kas

Post by Kas »

Jane, just do it! Take that 40 or 50% off cupon from JoAnn's and get the templates. The longest part is pinning the melons together. All the cutting went really fast and the sewing is quick too. It is pinning the arcs to the melons that is so time consuming. It only took me two weeks to get Ray's folks all sewn. And thank you for the comments! Boy, ya'll are fast! I no sooner had that posted then you both replied! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kas
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Quick draws! :)

Thanks, Maybe I will Kas, but I have 4 others started and dh would really like to see one finished! :)

Did you use those ones in the package for like $28 or something at Joann's? I wondered if they were any good. I do have another 40% coupon. Hmmmmmmmm....maybe........... :)
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Cool, I'm part of the "Jane Gang" . . . :lol:

Like the song says . . ."working on the jane gang!!"

You're too funny, mitten-state Jane!
JaneG
New Topic Post Reply