Quilters: HELP with the #%$^$$$#@$ points!

Ask craft related questions, share your current projects, your dream project, or show us your talent!

Moderators: Chris_W, Soummer

Justme

Quilters: HELP with the #%$^$$$#@$ points!

Post by Justme »

I have been making small tops for quilts (4 or 5 ft sq.) Can finally get the seams to mostly line up, but the #$#$% corners on diagionally cut 1/2 blocks either come up short or get cut off and blunted :evil:

I have been really a good girl on this top esp. about the 1/4" seams. But now that I am sewing the finished blocks together :evil: :evil: :evil: . And of course after a few turn up bad, well one throws up ones hands and say "I'll try again on the next effort". And quits trying to make it right on the current project. :(

Any tips would be wonderful. I may even have to break down and take a class.

Tami
Last edited by Justme on Mar 07, 2005 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Hosta List
It is always something
Kas

Post by Kas »

Do you have a fax #? I have some pages I copied that talk about the corners of half square blocks. It might be useful. But just read my posts to Wishiwere and you will see that my describing it is probably not the best idea! :lol: :lol:

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
Justme

Post by Justme »

Sorry, I don't have a fax :cry: . Either at home or access to receive at work.

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
hostanquilts
USDA Zone: 5

Post by hostanquilts »

Hi Tami,
Sorry to hear you are having problems with the diagonal corners. I have a book somewhere with instructions. Will see if I can find them. I know the quilt shop has a special ruler for them, but so far I can't justify the cost.
I'm going to be over there Monday & Tuesday next week. If I can find the book, I'll copy the pages & bring them with me.
Jan
Jan

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble
remembering how to fly."

My Hosta List
Justme

Post by Justme »

Thanks, I welcome any help I can get. Let me know if you find them and I will meet you to pick them up. I work next Monday night, but my morning is free.

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
hostanquilts
USDA Zone: 5

Post by hostanquilts »

Hi Tami,
I sent you a PM with this link, but then thought that others might find it useful too.

http://quiltingpassion.com/triangles.html

The 1st page refers to a Diagonal Calculator & a Square Calculator. I went in there & you can put the size of your finished block & it'll give you the size to cut your setting triangle. If I read the instructions correctly, the Square Calculator give you the size to cut a square & then you cut it crossways twice (cut an X from corner to corner), being careful not to move the fabric while cutting. This will put the bias edges on the inside or V sides & give you a straight/stable edge for the outside. She also recommends cutting the square 1" to 1 1/2" larger for error. After you have sewed them in, you can trim the outside edge to match the rest of the quilt. I know this wastes a little fabric, but sure makes it more simple. That is the way I do a lot of my diagonal type blocks.

Edited to add info about the calculators on the link.
Jan

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble
remembering how to fly."

My Hosta List
Justme

Post by Justme »

Jan, I figured out that I needed to cut my triangles larger, just has you have just stated. I cut the squares 3 7/8" per the pattern instruction, marked diagonal cutting line and 1/4" away sewing lines. Sewed on line. Cut on line. Sewed triangles to each other from the interior seam out to outside seam, thinking that the uneven edges would work out best on the outside to be trimmed off. Well, I now know that sometimes this trims too close to the 'point' and so the finished points aren't sharp.

Was watching Simply Quilts yesterday, and they cut triangle blocks and then at the end they trimmed down the large block to perfect 1/4" seam! Light Bulb goes off in head. Too late for this quilt, but next time, that is what I am doing!

Thanks for the great Web site, cant wait till I have time this weekend to browse through it better.

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
New Topic Post Reply