Anyone repaired fountains before?

Ask craft related questions, share your current projects, your dream project, or show us your talent!

Moderators: Chris_W, Soummer

wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Anyone repaired fountains before?

Post by wishiwere »

I really would like to save this beast from the junk pile. MY fault entirely, I did not take of it properly.

Is there any way to save this thing? Anyone?
Attachments
fountain pre-fix 2.jpg
fountain pre-fix 1.jpg
fountain pre-fix 3.jpg
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Soummer
USDA Zone: 4-5

Post by Soummer »

Jane,

I can think of ways to put it back together, but not any that would look all that good :???:

Have you tried posting on Garden Discussion and Gallery, or even the Wildlife Forum? I hope someone can give you a good answer.
Soummer, formerly Janet D.
My Page

wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Yeah, I did on the garden discussion and then here when no one answered :(

Just figure there has to be a way. I am thinking if I put a layer in it of thin set and then seal it or paint just to where the water line is, it would work, but.......... would like some ideas you know? :)

What were your thoughts?
Soummer

Post by Soummer »

Along those lines... it's just that I've seen that done, and it didn't look so good. The thin set (or whatever adhesive they used) just did not allow the pieces to come close together... the seam was prominent. Of course, if you can turn it so it's not seen, I'm sure the birds won't care a bit!

Now of course, the folks I have in mind might not have known what they were doing, and you might get better results. It is too pretty to pitch without a fight.
My Page

wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

That's the thing, it's not broken up, just cracked, so I am hoping I can save it :)
Soummer

Post by Soummer »

OH! Well, in THAT case, I think the thin set is the deal! Work it in, let it settle, work in some more, let dry veeeeeerrrrrryyyy slowly...... got ceramic working tools? You could spend a good deal of time detailing it.... Restoration can be fun! :lol:
My Page

wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

So then do I have to seal the thin set for the water in it, or it that enough, just a couple of reall thin layers?
Soummer

Post by Soummer »

If you aren't using a liner, you would have to seal it with something, or else the thin set will just melt away.

Why not a thin, fine mixture of cement instead? I mean, it's made of concrete, isn't it?
My Page

wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

I don't know why not :) I wasn't sure and was hoping someone had a for sure idea :) Wanted to see if there was something really good to do this with that wouldn't be 'chancy' first then guess if I couldnt' find other answers, you know? :)

It's hard to know what to do when I've never worked with cement before other than blocks for kids to print in and such. I"ll have to try it. Thanks. :)
Soummer

Post by Soummer »

Well, I don't know why OR why not, either :lol: But if it were me, the cement patch is what I would try. My logic demands that would be the correct answer :o :lol: Now, it's not that thin set wouldn't work, I'm sure it would, but would it be safe for the birdies? I'm sure the cement WOULD be, because that's what fountains/birdbaths are basically made of. Thin set, I think, has a few more elements.

Now paint, I can't help with.
My Page

wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

k, thanks :)
Squash Blossom

Post by Squash Blossom »

There is a product available at home improvement centers that will permanently fill a bad crack in concrete and I believe it comes in one of those tubes like caulking.

I used it several years ago when some old ornamental urns I left sitting in a flower bed got water trapped inside and cracked in a freeze. I totally repaired the cracks...but accidently permanently stuck the urns to the round concrete patio blocks they were sitting on. :lol: They're 100% PERMANENT now!! I'm glad I like where they are because moving them would be almost impossible.

I mended a birdbath with the same product after trying unsuccessfully to repair the crack with silicone. The silicone worked O.K. but apparently birds were afraid of the snake-looking repair job!!

Your fountain/birdbath is beautiful - a repair only adds to the character of something that pretty.

Ann
To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Go to a pool company and ask them what they use to seal crack in in ground pools. When we got cracks in our foundation we were turned onto these folks and they have a product that might work better for you to save you fountain.
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Thanks Ann and Karma. I'll make some calls in the morning about it and then follow up at the depot too see what they have. My 2 concerns of course are the birds (although them not going into this fountain is actually good, b/c there are other baths for them and I'd rather they stayed away from this one. It's harder to clean out myself than the other cement and actually too deep for them when full. I'll post a pic if I ever get the garden done and the fountain placed and working! :) You'll love it even more when it's together properly. We've used it with the stand for years on concrete blocks hidden by perennials :)
notmartha
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by notmartha »

my DH got concrete and redid the inside of my fountain and we stuck those half marbles in it b4 it dried(it had cracks in it)
Now it works fine!!!
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Hmmmmmmm..the inside has slight cracks too, but they aren't large enough to allow the concrete mix in. So far I haven't even tried yet. It's been enough, just trying to keep the gardens watered :( Are you dry too?

Where's the rain they said we were due for 10 days? It's like day 4 and nothing yet! :cry:
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Hi
Is there a place around u that sells concrete garden figures and fountains? They could probably tell u how to fix the crack.

Also my brother used hydraulic cement to fix a crack in his basement while the water was pouring in, and it worked in the water and stopped it!

Debbie

New Topic Post Reply