It is a good thing that I learn reallllly well from mistakes

Ask craft related questions, share your current projects, your dream project, or show us your talent!

Moderators: Chris_W, Soummer

Justme

It is a good thing that I learn reallllly well from mistakes

Post by Justme »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I decided to make my Mother a queen sized quilt for her Birthday (May 27). So, a week ago I got the fabric (had several 50% coupons :D ) to make an "easy" double 9 patch. DOUBLE patches!! What was I thinking? Needed 41 pieced squares, 5 of the 9 were smaller 9 patches (1 inch squares, makes for 3 inch mini-blocks) But goes o.k. and I get pretty good at matching seams (told you I learn from doing and making mistakes). Sew 41 pieced blocks alternated with 40 plain blocks for a 9 x 9 block size (9 inches sq each). Then it wants a 3 inch, mitered corner inner border, same fabric as plain squares. That isn't too bad. Now the next border!!! :o :o :eek: 1 inch, diagonal pieced squares from the two fabrics that make up the mini-9 patch blocks!!! You know, two triangles make up a square. I will need 400!! Tried sewing 1 7/8" squares, double sew and cut between, too tiny to do 400! So, tried the "grid method". Like it better, but the first time I sewed too many line and got 1/2" squares :lol: :evil: , but learned a good looking quilting pattern. Now I need to get the DD to press all those little squares open for me tomorrow while I finish sewing them, only 300 more to go!

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

OH MY! I definitely want to see pics! Do you do the finish quilting also? Holy wow! You enjoyed it though didn't you? :) :wink:
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Justme

Post by Justme »

Well, it took all day and only ( :lol: :lol: only) needed about 350 of the 1/2 triangle blocks. DD cut them apart and pressed them open while I stitched. But, it is now done. Looks good. But would have looks as nice with a simple 1" straight border. And that wouldn't have taken 10 hours.

I am going to try to quilt it myself, it is huge though! 95 x 95 according to the pattern. And when I try to practice the "freemotion" quilting I will break the needle, how? I don't know. This didn't happen with my last quilt.

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Boy I wouldn't even attempt that! :o Must be a bear to do! Whew! Then again, I'm just starting out and looks like a daunting task!

Maybe you need a bigger needed to get through all the layers? Is the backing the wrong stuff for machine quiliting? Ask your local quiliting bee or shop why it might be? I have NO clue of course!

We do want pics woman! This sounds gorgeous!

And thanks for learning and sharing mistakes and up and downs as I'm hanging on ever word typed to learn from your experience! :wink:

Please share more? Pics too! :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Kas

Post by Kas »

Tami, when you freemotion, are you useing the darning function on your machine? I mean, my machine lets you lower the needle only part way to darn. Also, are you using a single hole needle plate? I use one, but if you are letting the weight of the quilt pull too much, it could be pulling the needle over the solid metal instead of over the hole. Make sure your feeddogs are lowered, too. Hope that helps. And I second the motion for pics!

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

You've got more courage and patience than me!! If I was making that quilt it DEFINATELY would have been a simple 1" straight border!!! :roll:

Let's see some pics!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
Justme

Post by Justme »

Found out why the needles kept breaking off. My machine is so old (20+ years, but never used till this year), and so simple, zig-zag, no strech stitch even, that it doesn't drop the feed dogs. So, I have covered up the dogs with thin cardboard. Worked on the quilt before. Well I had it turned the wrong way and the needle was hitting the edge of the cardboard! Turned the cardboard 1/4 turn and now it work o.k.

top is all pieced, almost all marked, will start quilting this weekend :eek: Keeping fingers crossed, hope it doesn't drive me crazy.

Also plan on getting a REALLY NICE new machine for my Christmas present :wink: Will even out the DH's new Harley. :lol:

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
New Topic Post Reply