Quilting can be Dangerious!!!!

Ask craft related questions, share your current projects, your dream project, or show us your talent!

Moderators: Chris_W, Soummer

Justme

Quilting can be Dangerious!!!!

Post by Justme »

I just spent 2 1/2 hours in the emergency room to get 2, yes 2 BIG stitches on the top of my Left foot. Dropped the rotary cutter off the table and (of course) it landed, with the blade open, on my foot :???: Wasn't painful, but blood went everywhere. When I finally got the blood slowed down I could see it was deep and told DH I would need "about 2 stitches, damn!"

Tried to go to an Urgent care center. Warning - They all close at 11PM! Even the ones in Emergency Rooms. Also they don't do stitches in them. So, I ended up in an emergency room two miles from my home, but not the one my insurance says I need to go to, or the one I work at. Guess these are expensive stitches.

Keep those rotary blades covered.

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

OUCH!

Please be careful and I hope you heal quickly!

Alexa
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Oh dear........sorry to hear about your little, but expensive, accident. Hope you will heal quickly, Tami. :(
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Yikes!! I guess I'll never know what tool your talking about, cause I don't do crafts....Rotary Cutter? Greek to me....:lol:

I hope your foot heals good...:-)
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Holy wow! :eek: I can't imagine one cutting that deep by falling off the table? Guess I'll be a little more careful. Although most times I do habitually close it when done with a cut, there are a few times, I've caught myself leaving it open for the next one!

Hope it heals quickly, although those straight cuts do seem to take longer, don't they? {{hugs}} for the ER and bill to come :(
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Annie

Post by Annie »

I don't know what that is either, but all I needed to hear was the blade and falling on your foot!!!
:eek:
So if the Urgent care places don't do stictches and such what do they do???
Hope your foot feels better soon!
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Expensive aspirins maybe? :lol:

Honestly the only thing I've gone to them for was a tetenus after I ran a nail into may hand while repositioning timbers in a raised garden to add to it. Hadn't had one in as long I could remember, so HAD to do it, but dang........it was an expensive gouge! :(
janet

Post by janet »

Ouch!! Tami, first rule of rotary cutting...If it's not in your hand, cover the blade! :o Second rule (in case you forget the first), always wear steel-toed boots while quilting!! :lol: (A rotary cutter resembles a small round pizza cutter with a razor-sharp blade. It has a sliding, locking blade cover gizmo.)
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

EWWW!!! Sorry to hear about your accident Tami! I'll bet it's not too easy to wear shoes with a cut like that! :eek:
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

:o :o DERN! Remind me never to try and mug a quilter! You folks got some serious weapons there! :D
Hope your feeling better Tami! :wink:
Justme

Post by Justme »

Thanks for all the kind thoughts. Luckly the foot doesn't hurt (much). Won't be taking any 1 or 2 mile walks this week.

I promise to be much more careful about my cutter. Scary part is - I need to put a new blade in it! This one is getting dull. If I had replaced the blade when I thought about it, I would have cut my tendon! Got to see it as it was, just missed nicking it :o Always wanted to see my tendons, NOT!

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
mamaw2

Post by mamaw2 »

I am so sorry to hear about your foot and hope that it heals for you very quickly. I do all my cutting sitting on the floor and I think I'll continue to do that since reading this post.
Anita
Soummer
USDA Zone: 4-5

Post by Soummer »

janet wrote: A rotary cutter resembles a small round pizza cutter with a razor-sharp blade.
Janet, that's EXACTLY how I was going to describe one! LOL

Tami, OUCH! Heal quickly!
Soummer, formerly Janet D.
My Page

dian57

Post by dian57 »

Tami, don't feel bad, I did the exact same thing last Sunday evening--same foot even! Mine wasn't as deep and didn't need stitches, but MAN, did it hurt!

Guess I should've read your post before trying to cut quilt strip on the coffee table while watching TV (who knew?).

Dianne
Becoming a grandmother is wonderful. One moment you're just a mother. The next you are all-wise and prehistoric. ~Pam Brown
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Holy! That's 2 of you! Guess I'll not use mine till I hear of a 3rd! Yeah, like that will happen with all the projects I've to cut out!

Be careful ladies!
:o And to think I allowed my blonde dd use one over christmas! :eek: The one who attempted to cut her finger off while camping with the Girl Scouts one year! :(
Justme

Post by Justme »

Ouch, Sorry about the foot, Dian!

I am very careful to close my cutter if I lay it down at all now.

But I have never gotten a bill from either the hospital or the insurance company! Not even a co-pay (should have been $100).

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Post by Pandora »

Very sorry to hear that. Hope you heal soon! I got one for Christmas and thought "how cool", now I'll be scared to use it. :???:
New Topic Post Reply