New Sewing Chest

Ask craft related questions, share your current projects, your dream project, or show us your talent!

Moderators: Chris_W, Soummer

JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

New Sewing Chest

Post by JaneG »

I have mentioned before that my David is a woodworker. His latest project has been one of his most challenging. He uses many traditional techniques and is very critical of his work.

When I got my new embroidery machine I started accumulating A LOT of spools of thread which I kept in plastic storage boxes. He decided I needed a "treasure chest" to keep my spools in.

We picked out quartersawn sycamore for the lid and jatoba for the chest. The draw pulls and details are ipe.

Each drawer holds 40 spools and has a grid in the bottom so the spools don't roll around. I can store other sewing accessories in the top.

Isn't it beautiful??!!! I'm so tickled with this . . . I'm almost afraid to use it.
Attachments
JanesSewingChest 069 small.jpg
Here you can see the spools and the grid.
Here you can see the spools and the grid.
Isn't the grain on the lid just incredible?
Isn't the grain on the lid just incredible?
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

It's exquisite Jane! You are a lucky lady to have such a treasured possession. Definately a future heirloom.
impatience

Post by impatience »

What beautiful craftsmanship! Wow-you are a lucky lady (and he must think he is a lucky man!)
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

That is beautiful, even if I don't sew! Ditto what Pat said....He is very talented! Again, beautiful! :D
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Oh Jane that is just breath taking craftsmanship! Lucky sister to have a wonderful brother with such great talent.
Does he make a bigger size for those cone shaped threads?
I have 3 boxes of threads! :oops:
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

:lol: @ Karma! Brother is the brand of my sewing machine, David is my honey!!! :lol: :lol:
JaneG
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

:o WOW! As a woodworker myself, I can apprieciate the workmanship that went into that curved lid and the boxjoint corners.
Did your brother, er..... your honey....er, ....maybe we don't want to get into that. :eek: :lol: :lol: :wink:
Anyway! Did David use a jig (Incra, Leigh, etc) for the corner joints? I have an Incra jig and I'd give my eye teeth for a Leigh Jig.
Justme

Post by Justme »

WOW, and WOW again! :o :o I love that! I don't do wood working (yet) but love stuff like that. Now I am jealous :lol: I need one about the size of a "Cedar chest" for Fabric etc. My DH would buy all the wood and tools in a heartbeat, but then never built it :evil:

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Tami! "My DH would by all the wood and tools in a heartbeat". :o :o
There are lots of places to take woodworking classes, and the different plans that are avalable are unlimited. You could use another hobby. I think there is even an organization of women woodworkers. :wink: :D :D
Justme

Post by Justme »

O.E.D. "You could use another hobby." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I get another hobby I will need to quit my job to have enough time to get stuff done! If I quit my job I won't have the money to buy the stuff for my hobbies! Plus I need a bigger house first :o (My Dad would probably teach me woodworking. He has a shop next to his house and is retiring next year)

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

:lol: Hi OED! He has the Leigh jig which he used for the corner dovetails.

The drawers are handcut dovetails. For a really good shot of the handcut dovetails (one of my favorite things about the chest), check out this link. It's the woodworking forum where he hangs out. There are a couple more pictures than I posted here, and his description of the workmanship and techniques is better than mine! :roll:
http://www.woodworking.org/InfoExchange ... php?t=4796
JaneG
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

That is such a lovely chest!! How fortunate you are to have a DH with skills like that! He may be critical of his own work, but to us it looks to be perfect. :wink:

P.S. I think all this talk of the tools and woodworking has got OED drooling all over the internet. :lol:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

You bet I'm drooling. Handcut dovetails, inlaid drawer guides. That's not just a nice piece of woodworking, it's a work of art. It had me in the shop today, looking at my stack of quarter sawn Sycamore. :wink:

And a Leigh jig!! !!SIGH!!
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Jane
That is magnificent! I know you will treasure it for years. Every time you get a spool of thread out, you will think of all the love and devotion that went into the making of that chest.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

omg! That is GORGEOUS!

Your sweetie truly has created a work of art that I'm sure will be a family heirloom. What a very lucky lady you are to have such a talented and sweet guy!

Alexa
Justme

Post by Justme »

Hand cut dovetail! :o I love dovetails. The DD and I used to be HUGE Norm groupies. I love beautifully made wood stuff. Again, I am soo jealous!

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

:o It's beautiful! What great work he does!
OED, be very careful there! You're likely to short out your board, unless you've got it covered! :)

Jane, that's just simply a work of art as someone already said. What a gorgeous piece of art! You are both lucky people to be so talented and to have found one another. What fun to share in your joy!

Have you thought of getting a brass plate with the maker and receiver's name and date on it? Most definitely will be a heirloom :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Thanks for the compliments.

He has a custom 'branding iron' with his signature, which gets burnt into every piece he does. He also signs and dates them. As for the brass plate, too funny . . . I already have a garden bench he made for me with a brass plate that says "My Dearest Jane" and the date. Of course, I haven't put it outside yet, it's been indoors for 3 years because I think it's too pretty for outside!
JaneG
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

And you haven't shared a pic of it? What'sup with that? :lol:

Come on, share the beauty please :) You can keep his love and what he makes, but you must share the pics of the wood products of that love! :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Penhalion

Post by Penhalion »

That is an incredible piece of craftsmanship! I'm no expert on woodwork, but I can appreciate the skill that went into making that. Wow!!!
New Topic Post Reply