57 days 'til Christmas?! HELP!!

Ask craft related questions, share your current projects, your dream project, or show us your talent!

Moderators: Chris_W, Soummer

KellieD

57 days 'til Christmas?! HELP!!

Post by KellieD »

I've been crocheting Christmas gifts for my family and got to wondering what type of handmade, handcrafted gifts other people make. I can't exactly give the same old crocheted scarves for the next ten years, can I?

Ideas, suggestions, or just chatter about what you are working on as gifts would be much appreciated!
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

Kellie,

Check my post from last year. These work up quickly and really are a hit. I just finished a set and have 3 more to go for someone at work who is buying them. I'll probably do a couple more sets for gifts too.

http://www.perennialnursery.com/forums/ ... highlight=

Here's where you can find the instructions for crocheting them. :

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ranc ... cldcph.htm
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

More ideas:

Have you tried crocheting with the eyelash yarn? There's some really cute things out there. Depending on the age of the recipients I've seen scarves and bags. One of the cutest things I've seen done with the eyelash yarn is to take a regular pair of cheapy rubber flip flops and simply single crochet around the strappy part. It turns the flip flops into fancy fuzzy flip flops that I think the 8 to 13 yo crowd would just love. Stocking caps are pretty easy to crochet too. There's tons of free patterns online for angels and snowflake ornaments if you know anybody that's just starting out and needs tree ornaments.

Have you checked out the website for Lion Brand yarn? They've got alot of cute free patterns.

http://freecrochetpatterns.lionbrand.com/

And finally, here's one of my favorite links for free crochet patterns. http://home.inreach.com/marthac/links.html

Have fun! :)
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

Thanks for the great suggestions. While I do love to crochet, I'm looking for other ideas as well, such as edible gifts, family games, anything unusual.
One of my sisters I can always give plants to, or even a bucket of manure and she appreciates it. Somehow I can't see my brother in Manhattan being as enthused about it.
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

Pat, I found this one online. Check it out!

www.crochetpatterncentral.com
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

Thanks Kellie! I've added it to my bookmarks.....really like the tutorials for "full surface crochet." that's a technique I've never tried. Looks a little complicated but I might have to try it.

And here's another one for you! :lol: I ran across it in my bookmarks. I havn't made it but plan to when I finish the potholders that I'm committed to doing for my co-worker.

http://www.knittedthreads.com/free/croq/freecr16.htm
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

Cool pattern! I'll have to give this one a try. After the next two scarves and getting the slippers put together, that is! :lol: :lol:
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Are you guys over 50?? I heard that the over 50 crowd does stuff like this....:lol:

I'm just playing..:P..I wish I could do stuff like that, but then I can't sit that long.... :P I love how some people have so much talent!! :D
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

Thanks a bunch, Lucy!! Haven't hit 50 yet, but when I do I'll celebrate by climbing another tree! :lol:

I find crocheting relaxing and it helps when I need to be thinking about plant placement but don't know quite where to start. The side benefit is that Christmas gifts get made!
janet

Post by janet »

Perhaps it means that the over 50 "crowd" just isn't as much into conspicuous consumption and cares more about craftsmanship and giving of themselves? :-?

Me, I'm making a Polartec® Fleece Cooler for my kid's horse, some quilt block pot holders, a pieced table runner, and a couple other projects. I still have to design, cut and print this years Christmas card, too. :o
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

Janet, can I be on your Christmas list??
Sounds like you've got some interesting things to make, and doing your Christmas cards on top of it?! YIKES!!

My scrapbooking niece (36 cards to send) talked my sister (150 cards to send) into making her own one year. After help from anyone who stopped by, she said never again! :lol: It was way too major an undertaking with tons of little things that had to be glued on.

Maybe I'll take up basket weaving for next year's Christmas. I have all the raw ingredients right here on the property!
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

You go Janet!! WOW!
LucyGoose! I've been crocheting since I was a teenager! :lol: Not only is it relaxing but it also keeps my hands busy when I want to eat.....(or..eh hem....smoke? I crocheted up a storm when I was in the process of quitting the nasty habit)

I keep saying I'm going to take up a class in basketweaving. It looks like fun!
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

So, Pat, why don't we make it our goal for 2006 that both of us learn to do basket weaving. I'll make one for you out of lavender stems............
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Sorry Janet! :oops: Had to look up *conspicuous consumption* .....My hat's off to you! I love to give.....I guess I don't have much to offer of myself, then.......and I DO care.....
janet

Post by janet »

From what I hear, you give of yourself all the time, and with great generosity, Kathleen. You just made the AARP crowd sound like a bunch of old spinsters sitting in their rockers crocheting doilies all day long and I guess I over-reacted. My apologies...no offense meant. :( I know you care. :wink:
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Now I feel bad....I guess I over-reacted , too.....I'm 50 too, just this year.....I guess it started when I used to make fun at PeggyB about knitting.....It's all in fun.....I have no talent what-so-ever in the knitting field.....Don't really want to, either....(least not now) But I admire people who do....Honest, I do! So, lets hug and make up! :D :P (((janet)))

edited to get the hug right.....

Like I said in pm......I am sorry, and I will watch myself better...I think you need another hug, too.....

(((((((((((((((((((((((((janet))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
janet

Post by janet »

KellieD wrote:Janet, can I be on your Christmas list??
Sure thing, Kellie! That'll double the size of my list. :D What colors do you have in your kitchen?

(Being the grandaughter of two painters and the daughter of a cartoonist and a printmaker kind of mandates that I make my own cards. It's in the blood. :oops:)
jd in nh
janet's list
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

Janet, it is white, white, boring white and scheduled for demolition next year! Thanks for thinking of me, though!

Okay, I've finished 2 pairs of slippers and 4 scarves and I think I'll make the Christmas Lights potholders as well. Any more ideas? My hands feel like they are permanently wrapped around a crochet hook!
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

If it does not have to be crochet or knit etc, some of the best gifts I have gotten are edible. I love to get baskets full of foods from a particular region, for instance I make baskets of food that are made in Oklahoma for my friends who live in other states. Or make a theme basket and include all the ingredients to make a meal, Mexican, Italian etc. You can get really crafty with how you line and fill the basket and also how you wrap it.

Just a thought.

Ginger
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

Great thoughts, Ginger! I could really use this idea for my brother and his wife. Their life is so totally different than mine that I am always at a loss for them. Hmmm.......might be a good wedding present for my nephew and his wife!
New Topic Post Reply