pottery

Ask craft related questions, share your current projects, your dream project, or show us your talent!

Moderators: Chris_W, Soummer

DBoweMD

pottery

Post by DBoweMD »

I make pottery, and I have donated one for the hosta seed auction/fundraiser to support Hallson's forms. It will run for 2 weeks. If you want to see more pictures or bid, go to the Hosta section, under seed exchange.
Attachments
DSC04641.JPG
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

That is really a great looking pot. I would like to learn to make pottery, but I don't think I have the patience.
There are many hobbies I have tried over the years, but I am one of those that need instant gratifiation, and some things take so long to complete (at least for me) that I get bored and never finish.

Good luck with the auction, I hope your pot brings in lots of money for the forum :D

Ginger
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

Here are some things I'm working on, let me know if you have suggestions, as I am working on new designs for small things with Hosta leaves
Attachments
DSC04822.JPG
Dawn's Early Light
Dawn's Early Light
DSC04820.JPG
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi Dr. Dave!

Wow, that first one is sure different.....what would you put in that tall vase....Cut flowers, hosta flowers? That would be cool! I like that last picture of the pot.....I'm thinking I might need another one someday to keep go with my pressie one from Roxanne.... :D I have no suggestions, as I am not the crafty'est!

Thanks for sharing!! :snow: Merry Christmas to you, Dave!!! :snow:
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

Yes Lucy I got those leaves at the Convention after the leaf show and made the mold. I don't know the cultivar but thought the shape would be really nice.
I think a vase would be the ideal use for that one.
wild4flowers

Post by wild4flowers »

The taller one with upright leaves is awesome. What a great vase it would make. CHAR
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Very nice! Do you have much trouble with the leaves cracking as they dry? It seems with the curves and being thin, it could be a problem.
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

Thanks for the encouragement!
I've only had problems with the leaves cracking when I pressed them into the clay with a roller, because it makes it thin where the midrib is.
These leaves are rubbed onto the mold after starting as a slab, so they are pretty much uniform thickness. It's harder with severe cupping etc.
It can be a problem with cracking at the attachment points if the two pieces are not equally moist.
I often end up with pieces (pots or leaves) I never get around to attaching because my schedule keeps me from getting everything together at the right time.
For the pots I will paint things on them. For the leaves I need to figure out ways to use them, as they can be stuck onto another piece with the glaze... but can't be capable of slipping out of place in the kiln while the glaze is in a hot liquid glass state.
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

When I did a little sculpting, I used to keep my unfinished work in tupperware bowls, with wet paper towels. That kept everything at the same moisture content. It was a big help in adding attachments to things.
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

I'm going to have to look for really big tupperware pieces at garage sales or something, that sounds like a great idea.
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

For the size of pieces you do, get a couple of those insulated picnic beer/soda coolers. Put some stainless steel refridgerator shelves in the bottom to keep the pieces from directly contacting the wet towels. I kept stuff in the tupperware for months at a time, and never had problems. For some of the more intricate pieces, I would let them dry out in the tupperware. Take the wet towels out, open for a few hours, close for a day or so. They dried out slow and even. :wink:
New Topic Post Reply