Craft Shows

Ask craft related questions, share your current projects, your dream project, or show us your talent!

Moderators: Chris_W, Soummer

wild4flowers

Craft Shows

Post by wild4flowers »

I have done 3 craft shows this season (only 3 due to the fact that I didn't decide to get into that until too late to sign up for more). I have my jewelry display, along with herb and spice packets that I make up.

The jewelry goes real sloooow, but the herb packets are selling off the wall. ($1 ea). I have packets for hot chocolate mix, flavored coffee mix, dry rub for meats, vegetable dip, marinara sauce, spice blends for seasonings, popcorn seasonings, salad dressing, etc. I usually have 2 or 3 made up to taste, and that is what sell them.

The only consolation I have is that other venders are saying that this craft season is real slow, and they also, are not doing the volume that they have in the past.

But that makes it real discouraging. I am at least making back my table fee, plus some. But only due to the herbs.

CHAR
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

I wonder why it's slower this year? I like to buy the herb and seasoning packets so that's probably what I'd buy too.
A big annual craft show in Davenport was last weekend. I didn't go but a co-worker said that it had alot fewer vendors than in the past.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Portland OR biggie craftshows were last weekend and the coming up one. I couldn't note the slow down here as the parking lot was full and so were the side streets. Lots of folks are cutting back due to the gas prices here.
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Everything is slow this year. My business is down. Thanksgiving business was much much slower even my compatition (friend) was very slow, she has 5 employees to take care of too. I dont know if its michigan or all over and in Michigan it might have to do with delphi- gm cutting jobs.

But Ive bought some of the herbs and seasonings at shows before .......maybe it was you?! :wink: next time Ill pay more attention as to where these goodies come from.
Deb118

Post by Deb118 »

I'll find out this weekend. I have a Christmas Craft show on Saturday. I hope it's not slow. I've been crafting my brains out :eek:
"Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes
wild4flowers

Post by wild4flowers »

Good luck. It's scarier, not knowing what to expect. But the people/venders are really great, and friendly for the most part. And usually really helpful to new people. What are your craft items? CHAR
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I 'retired' from that rat race after about 20 years. I used to work full time and then some at it, had space in the Country Sampler stores in the 'burbs, and did over 20 shows a year, with my two daughters to help. It was a great way for them to be able to work with their kids close by, and we had a wonderful time. Four years ago the downturn hit in a big way. We sold less than half our inventory at shows that were usually a sellout. Health problems arose the next year, and I never got back into it.
I've heard from friends who are still in the business that it gets worse every year. It's a real challenge to come up with the new thing before anyone else gets to it. I did all my own patterns and designs, so there wasn't much chance of setting up next to someone who had exactly the same thing, and no problems with copyright infringement. That is, until someone bought something from me and copied it. I ended up across the way from one woman who had her entire booth full of something that she copied from me, but she didn't know it. Her son bought her a gift from my booth one year, and she thought it was so cute that she took it apart and made a raft of them. I had already stopped making them, because they stopped selling, so there she sat with a booth full of mostly one item that no one wanted. It's a tricky business, and my friends and I always figured it took at least 5 years of dues-paying before you could count on making a living at it. It's a hard life, and after a while you wear out. The only people I know personally who started when I did and are still in are people who don't make any of the stuff they sell. They have a big workshop and hire kids from the local high school to do all the work. They just load and unload their trailer and set up and sell. They get tax credits for hiring the kids in the vocation program, and spend their weeks doing fun stuff.
Sounds like a good plan to me!
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Deb118

Post by Deb118 »

Hi CHAR
When I originally set this up, it was to be for DH's wood crafts. His mini patio furniature/plant stands. He managed to get a few made up for it, before he took on some real work. So I've been busy doing up some fresh pine center pieces and swags to fill in the gaps. :D
"Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes
wild4flowers

Post by wild4flowers »

Thanks, its nice to know what other people do. CHAR
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

:oops: As usual, I filled half a page with rambling and didn't answer your question, Char! I made folk dolls, most of my own design, and also did primitive florals. I made most of my own grapevine wreaths and baskets for years, gatherend wild grasses and things, and rosehips. I had about half cloth/half florals. Often I would use my dolls in wreath or basket designs.
Linda P

My Hosta List
wild4flowers

Post by wild4flowers »

Thanks Linda. I had the urge for dried bouquets at one time, so trialed it for myself. And actually used some of the bouquets inside. But found that most of my 'weeds' that I gathered stayed forgotten in my garage. The best part of it was the gathering and wandering through the outdoors. I did use much of the wild growing stuff this summer in my fresh bouquets that I sold at Farmers Market. People were amazed that the wild growing stuff looks so good in an arangement. Some people think that a vase of zinnias, etc, is all there is to beauty. CHAR
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

You are so right, Char! I do miss getting out there and seeing what's growing, and now and then when I come upon a roadside filled with yarrow in full bloom, or a multiflora rose bush just brimming with bright red hips, I have the urge to run out and start picking. I did such a huge volume that it was more like work by the time I quit, but there were days that will stay forever in my memory.
Linda P

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply