Help please, colors for matting a leather picture.

Ask craft related questions, share your current projects, your dream project, or show us your talent!

Moderators: Chris_W, Soummer

Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Help please, colors for matting a leather picture.

Post by Pandora »

A friend of mine carved and painted free hand this leather for me. I was really surprised! We were not really that close, but I stood up for her a couple times at work when she was having a bad time. Also she always does "cowboy" art.....never Indian, but she changed her focus just because she knew I preferred Native American art. What a friend.

Anyway, I am really struggling with colors! I have 2 left feet when it comes to design. Where should the darker color go and where should the lighter? The walls are light gray, the carpet is ocean blue/green and most of my accent colors are strong (most of my pieces are Navajo). true red, rich blue, black, gold.

Very many thanks to pictureframe.com I have come up with a couple ideas. I know monitors show different, but maybe you can give me some tips. I have had some things framed professionally, but did not want to pay over $100 to get this done. I have gone to cheapie stores and been overwhelmed with choices, so I thought if I had it narrowed down to a couple options I could choose by myself.
Attachments
leather_rust_cream_framed.jpg
leather_sable_rust_framed.jpg
P0002378mbr.jpg
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

I like the leather sable rust combination MUCH better. I think the cream mat makes the leather piece look a little muddy.

Matting a piece is one of the hardest things for anyone to do because of the number of options there are. THe choices can be overwhelming!

Good luck and you are very fortunate to have such a great friend.

Alexa
John

Post by John »

I like your leather picture.

I feel like the blues are trying to be seen, so I'd emphasize them...

Perhaps a true/Royal blue and a lighter blue or turquoise.

I myself would use let a thin line of turquoise matt show directly around the picture, with a cobalt blue wide matt. And a natural wood frame in the tones of the picture.

What a nice gift from a thoughtful friend!

John
janet

Post by janet »

Hi, Pandora. What a treasure! You are right to put some thought into the mat colors and framing of the piece (and I'm so happy that you like pictureframes.com :wink: ).

Remember that the purpose of the mat is to enhance the image, not overpower it or add to it. The mat should draw the eye into the image. It can be a neutral field between the frame and the art, isolating the image so your focus is concentrated, or it can draw attention to a particular color in the image. My preference shouldn't matter, but I lean towards isolating this particular piece and prefer the lighter mat. Because the piece is an unusual medium, I feel it deserves all the focus you can give it. My opinion only, mind you.

My monitor is ancient and sucks for accurate colors, but there are several additional sites that allow you to try framing options. I love Graphik Dimentions (pictureframes.com) and use them all the time, but not for mat board. Before I started doing my own mats, I ordered a cut mat from them and thought it was quite thin when I received it. I suggest you ask them for a sample corner in the color(s) you are thinking about before you order a custom cut mat. Nothing beats real live colors in the actual lighting!

Hope that helps you some. And have a great time with it!! :D (Get acid-free, by all means, with the leather.)
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Personally, I like the rust one best, as it to me, it really shows off those blues in the piece.

The second one, I was more drawn to the framing.

But, that's me and I am most definitely not a 'design' person :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Okay you are asking for an art critic here! Neither, I would pull in the two blues for the framing with the rust as the main focus on the mat. Go with a thin line of deeper blue closer to the leather, then a thicker line of the pale blue and then the rust for the outer edge. Center the leather better also as you don't have that right.
John

Post by John »

I like KHT's idea... the blues do really need to be brought out, and her idea sounds nice. The large rust area on the matt will relate well to the leather color.

Proper matting and framing will really make this a WOW!!!
Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Post by Pandora »

Boy, thanks for the great ideas. Voting 2 for more rust, 2 for more blue and one for the lighter. We all agree that it was a nice gift.

Caliloo & Wishiwere, boy can it be overwhelming!

John, I did try a couple blues at that site, but they did not have much of a choice.

Now I know when I go look at mats to stay in the rust/cream/blue area. That narrows it down a lot. Whew! I kept playing with black, green, white and on and on until I narrowed it down to the 2 I showed.

Janet, you must be the one who put me on to that Website.

KHT, I just defaulted to a 16 x 20 frame and that's how it came out. I was trying to stay away from a custom frame, but that may not happen.

Thanks again everyone. You have really helped.
kHT

Post by kHT »

Pandora, send it to me!! I love to do custom framing as I did that at the U for my college Art classes! :wink:
John

Post by John »

Pandora, I'm big on having custom matts cut to fit standard frames...far less costly. Hate to spend more for framing than for what's in the frame.

(Don't yell, KHT...! I did learn how to cut matts in college, but not much better at it than sharpening the pencils with X-acto knives!)
kHT

Post by kHT »

John, I hear ya! The things they make ya do to pretty up a painting is sinful. I think they should offer Matting 101 at some of those craft shops so folks can learn.
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Just my two cents, but remember the matting and frame should compliment the art that is being framed. Don't worry about what your color in decor is.

I like the first one best, but would bring out a bit of blue in the edge mat. The second one washes out the pic in my opinion. Might also look at a ligher shade frame. They make some really cool ones now with leather inserted.

Ginger
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

What a great gift! I have absolutely no experience in framing, except as it relates to quilts. I do know that the frame can make or break the piece of art. I like the idea of pulling out the blue, especially that really great cobalt color in there.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Snow

Post by Snow »

The cream is definately wrong. The rust is great - but I'd also like to see the blue.
~*Snow*~
Violet_Skies

Post by Violet_Skies »

I'd also like to see some midrange blues. The overall color of the piece is in the orange range, and blue is orange's opposite color, so it will look richest against blue. If you're going with a double mat, then I like having the rust brought in as the accent mat, as that is also complementary to blue. That was really nice of her, by the way, and very pretty.
You never know what the past will bring.
Justme

Post by Justme »

O.K., I like the first one best. I did learn how to cut mattes in college/high school. HATE IT :evil: :evil: Worth the money to get someone, anyone else to do it! Had a professor who could cut mattes freehand and with the bevel!!!

I use Documounts when I get framing supplies, including custom mattes. Haven't gotten anything in a few years, but have always had great service from them. And very reasonable $.

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
bobbo

Post by bobbo »

I'm no critic and I don't have real good color sense , but I like the rust mat best. You have a terrific friend to give you that!
When one attempts to create a scene and a backdrop of beauty, gardeners are fortunate to have a willing helper,God.
Even their breath is recycled into the whole.....
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

What a terrific gift! And such a talented friend you have. :D
At first I liked both examples, but leaned towards the rust colored one. But then again, I like that color anyway. Looking at it again it seems like just the blue pot sticks out with the lighter mat and everything else fades in the background. With the dark mat the blue still stands out, but you don't seem to lose the other colors. I would like to see it with blue in the mat like some have suggested. I have no eye for design at all, so could never evaluate a piece and know what would look good. I sure do admire those that can. :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
New Topic Post Reply