Just have to share!

Ask craft related questions, share your current projects, your dream project, or show us your talent!

Moderators: Chris_W, Soummer

wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Just have to share!

Post by wishiwere »

This is a joint venture of dh's and mine this past week. I drew the plans and helped along the way, and did the finishing work. I think it turned out great! :)

Still have to stain between the boards where it shows when folded down, but hey, I couldn't wait to try it out and then haven't taken the time. On the must do list after this quilt is done! :D
Attachments
Sewing table 3 -web.jpg
Sewing table 1 -web.jpg
Sewing table 4 -web.jpg
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
janet

Post by janet »

A true work of art, Jane...just perfect for making works of art! That's awesome!! You guys did a great job. Where do I send my order for one just like it? :wink:
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

wishiwere, that is an awesome work space and one so creatively done. Love the built in book case area. Need to ask about the cup that is holding items, does it have your name on it and tell you about the named? :-?
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

:lol: Karma, I had to go and look! Yes, it's one of those precious moments one that mom got us girls years ago! LOL

Janet, I can't tell you how many have asked what he'd charge to make them one! We'd have to figure out first how much it would cost, as much of what was used was stuff we had in stock here :)

He's such a sweetie when it comes to finding a way to build how I want something. We'll be adding some pull out shelves on the right of the machine for things I want access to, but not sitting out, such as thread and such. And soon I need to get a wall unit up for putting up blocks I am working on and such. Not sure how yet, but working on that next :)
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

I got one too from a friend when the youngest was in first grade. He has been out of school now for a couple years.
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

VERY nice work!! Don't cut yourself short on what price you would put on it. People have no idea how much time and money you spend on something like that. Besides, youll never get ahead with all the honey do's, daddy do's, and now the Pop do's. :roll: :lol: Course, those are what I love doing the most. :wink:
Justme

Post by Justme »

Now what I would really need to go with a GREAT table like that is a place to put it :D :lol:

What did you use for the top surface?

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Thanks OED, and your're right, not many (other than those that create them) realize the time and effort into making anything.

Tami, it's Melamine. Hard enough that I can pin quilt block together on it and it won't damage the top. It's 54, by 60, so my large table top cutting board fit atop of it when it's extended also. And as for the room, it's in the sewing/guest room where we put the 'Murphy Bed' so that gives me a lot of room when there's no company. If they really have to stay the night, :lol: we can fold it down and fold out the bed. But.......... That the nice thing about it.
Justme

Post by Justme »

Have to wait about 8 years (if the DD stays home while going to college) before I have a "sewing/guest" room. :x And it is a smaller room. Or go with plan B, move to a bigger house.

Love the table, someday I will have one also.

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

It will come. I'm still not sure how I feel about the empty house vs. extra room. Some days I appreciate it, others I miss the kids :(

I hope you get the new house! Love living through others fun! :)
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

ooooo I missed this! What a great table! I'd Love to have something like that. It's so great that you can fold it away and push it into a corner somewhere when you don't need it. My stuff tends to get stuffed into storage containers and the back of closets and then I lose interest in it because it's not handy. Well done! :)
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Thanks Pat! :) I DO love it. And I have to admit, and I have been very happy to NOT have company since we finished it, so I can sew ever chance I get! It's just what ever hobby room needs.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Very nice, Jane! It's wonderful that you and your DH worked together on it to make just what you needed.
I've seen some custom made tables like that and they were NOT cheap!!! Back in my days as a quilting instructor, I went to a presentation that someone put together of the studios of famous quiltmakers. Almost every one of them had some sort of table custom made for them.
The wall to pin your blocks on is a great idea. A lot of color and design issues become clear when you can put the blocks up, walk away from them, and then look at them from a different angle.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Thanks Linda. My first table runner is up there this morning, to keep the Cat off it. Eventually we put a mirror to the right of it for looking at double the patterns. It's really coming together. Hope my quilting stands up to the time we put in to this! LOL
Attachments
ready to quilt 12-20-05-websize.jpg
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Oh Jane, what a GREAT sewing table!!! (I'm so envious) I'm showing David your pictures. Hope you don't mind if we steal a few of your ideas and techniques. I'm still using an old formica kitchen table that isn't the right height and isn't nearly large enough. We've been putting off doing something about it.

Now let us see all the wonderful projects coming from your new sewing table!!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
wild4flowers

Post by wild4flowers »

Great. I just love the idea of all that extra room to lay out stuff. And how nice of you to put it next to the window, so the cat can sit and have a place to look out.
My extra room is too small for something that grand, I have to use the kitchen counter to lay out and cut out. My room has the sewing area, a double sized computer desk, file cbinets, and library/storage shelves. That leaves me enough room to walk in, turn around, and walk out, and maybe stumble over the cat and dog as they follow me around the house.
CHAR
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

JaneH of course you can take the ideas! I wouldn't have posted details if we minded :) BUT........ You have to share when it's done! Aren't you the one who's dh made that fine cabinet?

Char? WHat about a cabinet front to the bookcase that folds down on supports to make a table? OR......... Put the puter parts, minus the keyboard and monitor under the desk and use that top? At least when you are working on crafts/sewing? I like that this one folds down and there is storage for stuff in the closet and I do have an antique library desk that will be taken out after the front room is remodeled. That will give me room for the iron area I want as the danged cat jumps on mine and at times has sent it flyingover when she jumps off! It also helps room wise that the 'murphy' bed is in this room :) No bid double taking up space from my needs! :)
wild4flowers

Post by wild4flowers »

Thanks for the book case idea. I do have a finished basement that has one long room that would make into a wonderful work area. But It is chilly in the winter, and damp/dreary in the summer. As well as no windows. It feel like I'm miles from everything. But with a little motivation, it would work. CHAR
Wanda

Post by Wanda »

For those of you with “less than perfect” work tables...

I learned this from a group of felters...if your table is too low, and perhaps not sturdy enough, here are a couple easy, quick, inexpensive tricks. Cut four lengths of PVC pipe to the height you would like the table to be. Slip them over your table legs and voila...table is tall enough to save your back, and more sturdy! If your table has not so strong or wobbly legs, notch the top of each PVC pipe so the outer edges of the table corners slid in (locking them in place), and cut away the other side (under the table) to the appropriate height and you will have far less wobble. All you need is a hacksaw, but power tools are faster. And if you are fussy about the ‘look’, spray paint the PVC legs to match your decor.

wanda
Justme

Post by Justme »

Decided not to move - at least for now. Too much bother to keep house clean to sell it :lol: Plus, love not having a mortgage.

Right now it is back to using the Formal Dining room as a sewing room. At least it is getting used now. The dining room table has three leaves, so I can stretch it out really long if needed. The only real issue is I need a cabinet to set the sewing maching down into, so the sewing area is the same level as the table.

Love your table. Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
New Topic Post Reply