Glenn's Studio

Ask craft related questions, share your current projects, your dream project, or show us your talent!

Moderators: Chris_W, Soummer

Zack

Glenn's Studio

Post by Zack »

My plans are to open my Art Studio, Janurary 1,2006.Since my new art form is Hostas, the work willl be offered in drawings, paintings (watercolor, acrylic, oils, etc.) I would like some input of what I should paint. What are your favorites that you would like to see, that you would proudly hang on your wall. My prices will be reasonable, $1.00'sq inch,plus, framing, glass and matts.
I am not selling here, only getting a glimps of a possible market. For years I was a hold digger, now I want to paint hostas for all to enjoy.
There will be a web site, hopefully by Janurary 1. This has taken a great deal of energy to establish, and so far I am not completely happy with the resolution
zack
"Montani semper liberi"-SOS-Live Earth
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Hm....interesting Zack. Can't wait to see your website. As for what to draw. I guess look around your gardens and others and paint what makes you passionate. Hosta in rain, hosta in bloom, just poking up in the spring, Hosta at sunset, at sunrise......Hosta out of the ground, waiting to be planted, laying there, pleading for ground around it's feet.......Okay, way too much coffee today and must be getting the wrapping done! Good luck and let us know when you get your site up. Sounds like a neat business!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Post by Pandora »

Sounds great! Wish had some good ideas.

I always am a sucker for botanicals. Outside views, I think lighting could play a part. Morning sun or the dappled shade that they love. I like the idea of one already dug up ready to be transplanted. How about the leaves arranged in a vase or on tray like people do for flower arranging with hosta leaves.

Good luck.
janet

Post by janet »

Have you considered doing a few true botanical-type studies? You know, a mature leaf and flower with the name of the cultivar down at the bottom...that type of thing? Like Anne Pratt did with ferns? I'd buy those in a heartbeat and take something down to hang it! I come from a long line of self-supporting artists, so I know what fears you face. (Think about being more flexible on your pricing method since different media and different subjects will require different time and different skill. Just a thought. :oops: ) You can do this!! Please keep us posted?
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Best of luck to you! I don't really have any brilliant ideas for you, since I spent my years working in fabric. I like janet's idea. I'm familiar with the apprehension that comes with putting your work out for public approval, and I really do wish you well!
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Sounds wonderful! Go out and look at all the posts by
Leafmould. He has some great pics that would make fantastic artwork and might give you some ideas.

Ginger
Zack

2006 Exhibit #1

Post by Zack »

Thanks, for the creative ideas. My first hosta exhibit is now scheduled for April, May, and June at the Morgantown Art Association Gallery. :eek: I have to have at least 25 paintings and or drawings. At present, I'm working on four oils that I call "Early Snow". I'm sure that everyone knows what I'm talking about. The hosta's are still flowering and a freak snow happens by, not enough to freeze but to highlight the beauty. BTW i do print off many of the sent pictures on the forum for reference. There is some great work going on and the archives are being stored, thanks to Hallson. I'm still not happy with the web-site idea. I am looking for a web-creator that can think outside the box of "the commercial" application. Will keep you posted.
Zack
Hapygdnr

Post by Hapygdnr »

Greetings Zack
When I read your post about looking for a webmaster etc I remembered a post I'd read by Marlys. Her website is done by another forum member, Josh Spece. I have been to her website & think it's pretty good, not run of the mill, more like sitting down and talking & looking at pictures with a friend. But then I don't know exactly what you have in mind. Maybe you would want to take a look... Here's a link to the topic:

http://perennialnursery.com/forums/view ... hp?t=38025

Good Luck in your endeavor & please, keep us posted.
Jeanne
Zack

Merry Christmas-Studio

Post by Zack »

Received word that the home/studio has been destroyed by (?) 8-) 8-) 8-) according to police :cool: and neighbor reports. :D How could anyone attempt to destroy a vision? :evil: :evil: :evil: Will keep you posted, as I fill out reports on Monday. :-? :-? :-? People can be so mean. :-? :-? :-? What else do they want?. :eek: :eek: :eek:
Zack, after Jan.1 cglenn
New Topic Post Reply