Anyone decoupage?

Ask craft related questions, share your current projects, your dream project, or show us your talent!

Moderators: Chris_W, Soummer

impatience

Anyone decoupage?

Post by impatience »

I saw a chair that was decoupaged in a store while on vacation. It was just spectacular (it was also $350.00 for a simple ladder back type chair- :eek: ). I have wanted to give this a try for some time.

Does anyone do it? Any suggestions for a book on the subject? Any advice?

Thanks for any advice you may have.
Attachments
decoupage chair.JPG
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

Neat chair! I've never decoupaged but it looks pretty simple when I've seen it done. Of course what looks simple isn't always is it? :lol:
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

I've done little bits and pieces of it, but nothing that involved. Makes one wonder why they don't want you to sit on it? Perhaps it isn't washable? I wouldn't think it would be for a chair like that, but then, I"ve never a done a chair. Looks involved on there. It's kinda of like polyurethaning or such. You just layer of the item several times. Then sand and repeat, sand and repeat and so on.
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
impatience

Post by impatience »

I've been looking for a table to put by the glass doors (to put my gardening stuff inside instead of leaving it by the door all summer- :wink: ). I have been looking for a junk sale type of thing and I thought that doing something like this would be just the ticket!

However, I haven't found the table. Still looking. I've been googling some wonderful papers and got excited again. :lol:
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

You know what would be pretty, would be pictures from your own garden (printed on regular paper if it doesn't run? And then some photos from magazine maybe about different type hosta or flowers or pics of tool and seed and such........ You could really have fun with it! Check at JoAnn's or one of the craft stores locally. Often times, there's someone there, that can explain it better and what to use.
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Hapygdnr

Post by Hapygdnr »

I've been thinking about a project in decoupage lately too. I'v never actually done one, but was wondering, does anybody with experience or more knowledge know if you can use pictures from magazines? Or does the stuff on the back show through? I know the chair would be too much for a first project for me... :???: Don't need another "started project." :oops:
Jeanne
Zack

Post by Zack »

The process is simple and fast. I usually start out with the art rubbed down with Elmers's glue and then applied to the base. Smooth down and remove all air bubbles. Add the next piece, etc. Overlap is important. Sanding is necessary (light & wet) to create one continuous object.
Then start the polymers. The more coats, the merrier. Wet sanding is necessary to creat one level presentation. Don't worry about sitting on or using the object, you are creating a tough plastic icon.
Something that I am having fun with is painting hostas on rocks, with acrylic and then applying several coats of matt finish polymer. There is a book, "Painting Flowers on Rocks", Available of book stores. Another 2006 project, the Rock Garden. This is a simple and value added project that adds highlights to any flower patch.

Zack
"Montani semper liberi"-SOS-Live Earth
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Boy, I have not done that since I was a kid, but Zack is right, it is really easy. The hardest, or most important part is finding what you want to use and glueing it down the way you want. Sounds like a great winter project Imp :D you are giving me ideas!

Ginger
impatience

Post by impatience »

I was thinking about using some cool wrapping paper. I've seen some real beauties. In doing a Google search (I spend a lot of time doing that :oops: ) I have found some great paper-and some real expensive paper!

Take a look at some of these! Where to start??

http://www.papermojo.com/prints.html
http://www.durwinrice.com/pages/paperalpha.htm
New Topic Post Reply