? For those of you who Knit

Ask craft related questions, share your current projects, your dream project, or show us your talent!

Moderators: Chris_W, Soummer

Deb118

? For those of you who Knit

Post by Deb118 »

I'm a crocheter! :lol: But Sara got me a "Teach myself to Knit" kit. I figgured it out, but my scarf is curling up on the end, and on the sides :oops: It looks like a scroll :evil: What am I doing wrong? I tell ya.... I could have had half a dozen scarves crocheted, by now!!! :lol:
"Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Have not knitted in a hundred years, but it seems like you are making your stitches too tight.

Ginger
Snow

Post by Snow »

That happens if you knit a row, pearl a row (well it happens to me anyhow). You need to block it, I think? I knit many scarves each year for family, friends, and myself - but I typically do straight knitting. I use textured yarns, so it looks cool. Hopefully someone can tell you how to solve your problem.
~*Snow*~
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Deb, It's just the nature of knitting. It curls. Is the pattern just straight knitting? I haven't knitted anything in years except on my bond kintting machine. I prefer crochet. When my mom started my DSIL on a scarf, I think she had her alternate rows. I'm pretty sure the reason for that was to reduce the curling. The pattern was something like this:

Row 1: Knit across.
Row 2: Pearl across.
Row 3: Kint 2, pearl X, knit 2.
Row 4: Pearl 2, knit X, pearl 2.
Repeat Rows 3 and 4 until you reach the length you want.
Repeat Row 1 and Row 2.

X is the number of stitches you have after subtracting the 4 knit or 4 pearl stitches in the row.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
goldenmom

Post by goldenmom »

Hi Deb, and how cool that you've started knitting! If you are knitting a row and then purling a row, you're doing stockinette stitch. It's going to curl no matter what you do...it's just the nature of that particular stitch pattern (not all knitting curls, though). Even blocking won't help :( To keep the stockinette pattern, you could do the following:

When you start the scarf:

Start out knitting 3 or 4 rows (or more) of garter stitch (straight knit stitch)
Then, on each edge of your scarf, do a number of stitches in garter stitch (do the same amount on each side)...they'll make a border. When you get to the end of the scarf, do another 3-4 rows of garter stitch (just make it consistent with what you did at the beginning.) This will help to keep your scarf from curling. Remember to include those *extra* stitches on the borders in your total number of stitches for the scarf. You can use stitch markers to remind you that you're coming to the border stitches, so you won't forget to knit them when you're on a purl row (been there, done that LOL).

Just play around with it. Depending on the yarn you're using, your border (top, bottom and sides) might require more or less stitches to keep it from curling.

Also, check out the following site:

knittinghelp.com

Great videos to learn knitting. If none of this has made sense, PM me! Good luck to you!
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Do what Bonnie says! :D
It sounds like what I was trying to say but I didn't get quite right. :oops:
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
Deb118

Post by Deb118 »

Thank you, Ladies!
Yep, Bonnie, that's what I was doing. Knit a row, and purl a row. I like that look :D I'll give it a try, the way you suggest. I prefer crocheting too, Pat. I've been doing it since I was a teen ager. But I will NOT let knitting get the best of me! :lol:
"Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes
PEIslander

Post by PEIslander »

Hi Deb
If you slip the 1st stitch on each row it should not curl.

Maureen
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

I admire you for trying the knitting. I was taught years ago when I was a kid but just couldn't get the tension right. I gave it up and stick to crocheting. Last year I decided to try knitting again and spent $30 on a book and it didn't help.........still can't keep it loose enough. There's a lady in Muscatine who owns a yarn shop that told me to stop by and she'd give me free lessons and guarantees me that she can teach me the right techniques..................one of these days........... :lol:

Good luck...keep up the good work!
New Topic Post Reply