Make your own shower curtain

Ask craft related questions, share your current projects, your dream project, or show us your talent!

Moderators: Chris_W, Soummer

Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Make your own shower curtain

Post by Ginger »

Has anyone ever done this? My DH just painted our little bitty bathroom, so you know what that means :D Re-Decorate :D . Problem, I can't find a shower curtain that I like. I want a fabric curtain, not the plastic or vinyl kind.
Can I just buy fabric and spray it with something to make it resist water :-? Need input please

Ginger
janet

Post by janet »

I do it all the time, Ginger. Buy one of the clear or white plastic/vinyl liners and hang that to fall inside the tub. Hang your fabric one to fall outside the tub on the same rings. You don't see the plastic and the fabric stays dry. Works like a charm, looks great, and gives the cat a neat place to hide. :lol:
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
hostapazoola

Post by hostapazoola »

What a great idea! I have been looking for a shower curtain to go with the "hummingbird" decor in my bathroom for 2 years. The only one I can find is $39.95! I wont pay that much!
What kind of paint do you use Janet?
~Lori~

Walk towards the sunshine,
and the shadows will fall behind you.
janet

Post by janet »

Paint? I thought we were sewing shower curtains? :-?
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
hostapazoola

Post by hostapazoola »

Oh... :oops: Sorry, for some reason, I had ideas of spray painting a solid color shower curtain with a stencil in place that matches the room :oops:

Not to good at sewing here...maybe I'd better just buy those $39.95 ones! :lol:
~Lori~

Walk towards the sunshine,
and the shadows will fall behind you.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Brian did this one since he couldn't find any curtains he liked. It took him a couple days to do it. I think the grommets were the most time consuming part, since he didn't want to sew button holes.

He did a split curtain like this because the fabric came off the clearance rack and wasn't wide enough. Overall I'm sure it cost more than I would care to know, but it looks nice. It is an inexpensive fabric liner inside to keep the water off.
Attachments
showercurtain.jpg
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Very nice Chris... it look lke a window :D

Ginger, you can use all sort of nylon to keep the water inside the shower, you can get that in all colors. If you want to paint on it, you can use any paint for linen...some of them have to ironed before they are proof to water, other ned heat..so look/ ask

Or you can use the ide Janet gave you.. just add some plastic to the back side... the Spanish people have the most lovely hand Knitted or needled work one I have ever seen and they just add plastic to the back side of them

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Well, I never thought of painting one. I'm not sure how well paint would 'stick' to a vinyl shower curtain. You could use fabric paints on a cheap, store-bought plain fabric shower curtain. I've seen lots of stenciling done on fabric, jeans, tote bags, valances, etc. You could give that a try.

Like was said before, no need to spray it with any waterproofing, just hang a vinyl liner inside the fabric one. Hang them from the same rings. When the curtain is opened, both the liner and the curtain move together.

I've made many fabric ones. That way I can make them match the curtains and other accessories that I have made.

The sewing is SO EASY. Just straight stitches to hem the bottom and sides, make it the same size as the liner, and match up the holes in the top. If you can't do buttonholes on the sewing machine, use grommets. An kit can be picked up at any sewing/craft store. I usually sew buttonholes for mine. When I've made them for other people I've used grommets because it looks more 'professional'.

Great job, Brian! That bathroom looks Fantastic!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Thanks all for your input!
Janet: I kind of wanted to get away from the liner since the shower in this bathroom is seldom used, but you may be right in that I need to get one anyway.

I don't sew, so was thinking about using the tape that you iron on and it binds the material together, I can't remember what it is called,. Do you think that would work all right?

And, since I don't sew I will have to use grommets (sp?)

I did see a show the other day and they were painting on fabric, and it really looked good. I wish I could remember what show it was, but they used a stencil and did it kind of like when you stencil a wall so it was not brash or harsh, just a soft color on the fabric.

I will post some pics when it is done, that is if I can get any! That bathroom is so small that it is hard to stand anywhere and get the whole thing, even standing in the tub!

Chris, I like what Brian did, and yes you most likley don't want to know what it costs, but it looks fantastic! Can I borrow him for awhile? I need some decorating input :lol:

Ginger
janet

Post by janet »

Sorry, Ginger, I didn't know you didn't sew. No problem, really. A regular shower curtain is 72"x72" so let's use that as the size you'll want. It really just needs to be a bit wider than the tub. You can get extra wide fabric (most often sold as quilt backing) or use a full size bed sheet and cut it down or join two pieces of regular width fabric (usually 40-44" wide). Use fusible web (the tape you mentioned) to join the two pieces and to hem the raw edges, top, bottom and sides as needed. Follow the directions for the fusible carefully (they are all slightly different) to avoid getting it on the iron and making a real mess! You don't even need to make grommets if you don't want to. Hang the whole thing from those big curtain rings that have clips on them...very stylish. Google "no sew curtains" (or shower curtains) and you'll find lots of ideas.

I'd still go with a vinyl liner, mostly to protect the floor from water. It won't be seen unless you are in the tub and you can find quite thin ones now. You can always hang the fabric curtain one ring past the vinyl one and be guaranteed that it won't show.

As for the stenciling, you can do that too. Most craft stores are selling fabric paint these days, along with stencils, brushes, books and everything you need. Do what makes you happy and let us know how it turns out!
jd in nh
janet's list
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Thanks Janet. I will get started on it as soon as I can move my neck again! Got a darn crick in it this weekend, and it hurts like the devil to look up or turn my head sideways!

Ginger
New Topic Post Reply