Our newest project :)

Ask craft related questions, share your current projects, your dream project, or show us your talent!

Moderators: Chris_W, Soummer

wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Our newest project :)

Post by wishiwere »

We've been building a barn! :)

24 X 30. Inches that is! :) For grand-daughter Cailyn who's into horses!
Attachments
barn jan 6th-web.jpg
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

And where we are currently with it. Quite a bit more as we have nearly 2000 shingles to put hot-glue on, as well as the roofing trim. And interior finishes, such as a bench/storage and pegs for bridels and such.
Attachments
Right side-web.jpg
Front-Left side-web.jpg
Back Side-web.jpg
janet

Post by janet »

Hmmmm, sounds like Breyer scale to me! Is your GD into Breyers? If so, WATCH OUT!!! Great looking barn, Jane, and what a terrific gift. She'll treasure it always...this I know from experience! :wink:
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

:eek: Watch out for what?

Yes, She's into Breyer but also has the 'My Little Pony', so it's not always the expensive ones. The Cools things they come with are awsome though!

And hey....... as a grandparent, aren't we allowed to indulge in those little extravangances :) I've buying and planning for the interior for months! :lol:

Done to the turds for the stalls! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Deb118

Post by Deb118 »

Way cool! How old is she? Does she know about it? I cant help but think of the playhouse DH built for Sara when she was about 5. He spent days and nights in the barn, working on it. He told her he was building me a boat :o When the day arrived to haul it out (before he put the roof on, or it wouldnt come out :lol: ) He took her out to show her... she looked at it and said... "Where's momma's boat?" :lol:
"Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

VERY nice! I had to take a second look to realize it was a miniature. Looks like traditional timber framing.
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

She's 6 Deb, and no, she or family don't know about it. There 12 hours from here, so no chance of that till it's ready for play and we figure how to get them up or us down there :)

Thank OED, that's the look he was hoping for. We've had a riot doing it of course. We keep saying we should keep here (not to play mind you *snicker*).
Kas

Post by Kas »

Jane! That is awesome! I was a collector of Breyer horses when I was a kid. My mom has over 200 of them in various sizes in storage for me. :eek: Some of mine were actually hand me downs from my cousin, Nancy. She is twenty years older than me and passed hers out to all her little cousins one Thanksgiving. Oh, the hours I spent playing with those things and making tack for them. I have to say the western and English saddles I got thirty years ago (gulp!) were much cooler than the new ones I have seen.

And yes, Santa brought Heather her first Stablemates horses this year. She is hooked!

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Okay then! You sound like the woman I need to talk to! :)

Just how did you go about making tack? I've thought to do, as dh has an old leather jacket I've kept for just this type of thing, to try to tool if possible, but don't have an idea where to start! Also, any ideas on what I need to make. Some things I suppose I could come up with, but........

Oh! Do you have pics of things you done that I could use to get ideas from?

We are hoping she enjoys it!
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

I have never heard of Bryer horses, but I think I wish I had! That is just the coolest miniture barn I have ever seen. I would be hard pressed to let it go to DG house, I would want to keep it and play with it myself! I have often hinted to DH that I wanted a big doll house to play with. I just love the furniture and stuff you can get to put in them! She is just the luckiest little girl!

Ginger
Kas

Post by Kas »

Jane, I don't have any pics of what I made. In fact, the only pics of my horses were taken with my old Kodak 124 camera. It had the square flash bulbs that had 4 flashes each and turned to a fresh one when you took a flash shot. Wow. My first camera and what got me started in my love for photography. I could never get my shots to come out like I saw them in my brain.

But back to the horses. I never used leather, just cloth. I hand sewed horse blankets using a Breyer one as a model. I also made halters, lassos, bandages, and saddle blankets. My mom sewed, so there were always scraps to be had. I always wanted to get into miniatures. Breyer used to put out a little booklet/magazine and one of the articles was about a lady that made all these elaborate "outfits" for her models and showed them. I had no idea there was a model horse circuit. Maybe do a google search on the subject. I'm sure the hobby is still around.

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

How did I miss this?? What a cool barn! That is one lucky little girl. :)

Did you ever figure out how to make the tack?
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

No, I actually haven't even attempted it yet! Thanks Pat, I'll be begging suggestions and instructions when we get to that part! :)

Currently he's shingling it and I'm working on more quilts for all the grandnieces and nephews and our grandson!
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Awesome looking barn, Jane! I ,too, thought it was a full sized one at first! :)
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

You've done an outstanding job on the barn! I can't wait to see the pictures when you finish! DG is going to be thrilled!

I'm not sure where we got them but we purchased a bag of suede and leather pieces to use for crafts. I'm thinking it had to be somewhere like Michael's or Hobby Lobby.
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply