Anyone ever hand dye fabrics?

Ask craft related questions, share your current projects, your dream project, or show us your talent!

Moderators: Chris_W, Soummer

Justme

Anyone ever hand dye fabrics?

Post by Justme »

I am never happy just repeating things I have already done. Boring. So, I have decided to try hand dying fabrics to use in quilts. Right now I am playing with Rit dye. I am reading in the 'net that they don't get dark/intense enough, and have found that to be true. But the none of the stores around here seam to sell the correct stuff, only source would be the internet. Not sure if I want to spend the $$ at this time.

Anyone else tried to do this?

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Tami, I have a friend who quilts & dyes his own fabrics. Let me ask him what he uses. He can probly give me a link to a website.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Justme

Post by Justme »

Thanks, R :D

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Here's what he had to say:

I use Procion dyes . . . they are permanent--they won't fade (a common problem of Rit dye) . . . I buy mine from Dharma Trading in CA . . . Googling "procion dye" or "dharma trading" should give her someplace to start . . .

Hope this helps, Tami.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Kind of off topic but my granddaughter wanted hot pink gym shoes and couldn't find them retail under $60. She used Rit Dye full strength and a paint brush on an older pair, got the effect she wanted, and they still look good despite all our rain.
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
Justme

Post by Justme »

R-75 :lol: :lol:

That was the catalogue I had already ordered! Just to see what it would cost to get some supplies. Looks like a cool company also.

Looks like I will have to break down and do the mail order thing if I really want to try this.

Thanks, Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
New Topic Post Reply