Spraying a protective coating

Ask craft related questions, share your current projects, your dream project, or show us your talent!

Moderators: Chris_W, Soummer

CarolA

Spraying a protective coating

Post by CarolA »

I have trouble trying to evenly spray a clear coat over my painted craft work. I tried the clear gloss and had trouble with it looking speckled. I now tried the matt finish and have the same trouble. I tried to careful because I know you can use too much and it might look like it dripped. I gave my painted wood two coats and thought it looked fine until I held it up to the light and saw speckles. How do you prevent this from happening?
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I am no expert at this at all and usually have the same problem when I use any kind of spray paint. I can only give the advice that they give on the BBC show "Changing Rooms": keep the can about 15 inches away (I think that is the measurement they give) and spray in a sweeping motion back and forth, but only a very thin layer. It's best to let it dry completely and spray several thin layers until it's all covered. It's when you hold the spray can too close to the object and apply too thick of a coat that you get splatters and drips. And ,of course, make sure you shake the can very well before beginning.
I'll try and remember that advice next time I am spray painting something. :lol:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
rakenleafs

Post by rakenleafs »

Since using about 1000 cans of spray paint this summer I can pass on a few tips I noticed.
* If working out doors, watch the wind, I put a few projects in a large 3 sided cardboard box.
* Yes, at least 15 inches away, using sweeping motion, make sure you are spraying as you sweep to the project and are still spraying as you are sweeping away from the object.
* Use VERY thin coats, and sand between them, you can "sand" using a paper grocery sak, I believe it is like a 300 grit, just enough to knock off those little bumps.
* Don't use the 99 cent spray paint. It's just not worth it, you are trying to protect a project you just put your heart and soul into, don't sell out for cheap.
Good luck, don't forget to post your projects so we can see them.
Fran :D
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit..
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in fruit salad.
rakenleafs Hosta Lists
CarolA

Post by CarolA »

So if I get speckles it could be that I just need more layers?
I've tired using a waving motion, but I wonder if you are spraying a wood object, would it be more noticeable? I also used a paint that is not a gloss, it is the regular flat finish. I know what you mean by messing something up by not getting the right finish on after you spent countless hours painting.
Justme

Post by Justme »

Are the specs dust specs? Do as rakenleafs does, spray in a box, on its side, and sand between with steelwool or paperbag (that is a new one to me :D ).

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
CarolA

Post by CarolA »

It's not dust. It looks like little speckles of water.
When it comes to brushes, do you think it makes a difference using expensive brushes? I am currently painting a rock for a rose garden. I am using the Apple Barrel gloss paint. Is there anyone reading this that paints rocks? I could use pointers on this as well. My rock has little pits in it. Is there something I can use to completely cover it first to fill in the pits and yet end up with a smooth finish?
rakenleafs

Post by rakenleafs »

I am wondering if it looks like specs of water..
Did you shake the can... till your arm feels like its gonna fall off...
Is there a small piece of dirt clogging a part of the nozzle?
Maybe you just got a bad can of paint..

I almost always buy my paint at Wal~mart, mainly because I use to work there and know the turn-over.. the paint IS fresh!

I also use to paint rocks (haven't for a long time, no reason why, just other things on my plate) I used a filler I purchased from Sears... it was like a putty but the can said "stain filler" I can't remeber anything else, just that it did great for filling the "pits"

*Justme, Someone told me that long ago (paper-bag) I was out of sandpaper and tried it...works great if you are almost finished and just have a few baby burrs you need to slough off... not much good if you have any real sanding to do.
Fran
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit..
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in fruit salad.
rakenleafs Hosta Lists
CarolA

Post by CarolA »

If you sand inbetween coats, aren't you taking a chance that you will take off some of the paint? I didn't shake the can as long as you are talking about.
What was the brand name of the filler you are talking about and will be hold up when the rock is kept outside?
New Topic Post Reply