How to transfer design to the rock

Ask craft related questions, share your current projects, your dream project, or show us your talent!

Moderators: Chris_W, Soummer

CarolA

How to transfer design to the rock

Post by CarolA »

I need hints on the painting of my rocks. I would like to know how you all go about painting letters on the rocks? Do you use a stencil, do you use a special painting pen, or just a brush? The I am working on now, does have small pits. I painted it first with an enamel paint. Now I am trying to put a name on it. First I used a painters pen and that didn't work. So I took a small paint brush and tried that. It is difficult to get the letters straight. I once used an extra fine painting pen that I bought at Michaels. It looked nice until I sprayed a coating over it and then it started to bleed.
Last edited by CarolA on Mar 14, 2007 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

I do most of my plant labels on rocks.

I had gotten paint pens at Michaels - they are specifically for painting on clay flower pots. I do not know what makes them different from other paint pens though...

My particular preference is to paint the letters on in black, let it dry completely, then put the white highlights over the top. I then seal the whole thing with matte clear coat.

You can see the one for El Capitan in this photo of Pandora's Box :roll: :lol:

Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
caliloo

Post by caliloo »

Can everyone see the photo?

I am concerned that Photobucket may be messing with my photos......

Thanks

Alexa
- Henry D. Thoreau
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

The pic shows up fine for me , Alexa. The rock looks nice! :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
caliloo

Post by caliloo »

THanks Joan!

I think Carol figured out why she couldn't see the photos... the firewall at her work is blocking them.

Alexa
- Henry D. Thoreau
CarolA

Post by CarolA »

Now I need help with transferring a pattern onto a painted rock. I painted the rock with an enamel paint. I had a difficult time as I couldn't get the print to adhere to the rock. I used a charcoal pencil to trace on the pattern and then turned it over and rubbed it onto the rock. There has to be an easier way? How are other people doing it?
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

For your first topic.. I use paint. real paint makers. the one you can find in construction shops... wash the stone and let it dry out-- add the letters 2 times.

Some of them last for 10 years others for 2 or so.. :evil:

Only advisé is.. it have to be old fasined paint with all the bad ecological ads :oops:

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
dian57

Post by dian57 »

I use MSPublisher to create the image I want to transfer to the rock. I can size it easily with this program.

Then I print it out and use carbon paper to transfer the outline of the picture/font to the rock.

Paint pens, craft paint, india ink all work well.

Protect with flat or gloss poyurethane and you're good to go.
Becoming a grandmother is wonderful. One moment you're just a mother. The next you are all-wise and prehistoric. ~Pam Brown
CarolA

Post by CarolA »

Here is what I ended up doing.
I am on my 6th rock. I make a pattern on paper and put a piece of tracing paper over it. I go over it with ink. then I take a charcoal pencil and go over that. I then transfer it to the rock. It isn't easy as most rocks are not completely smooth. I keep rubbing it until I think I have enough of the outline on the rock. I also bought some plastic wood in a can and used that for filler. I went to Home Depot and they suggested that as they use it on houses for filling in cracks and holes and it will withstand the weather. I tried to sand down the edges, but it didn't seem to work well. I just kept smoothing it out with water until it was dry. Before I put the pattern on the rock, I give it 2 or 3 coats of gloss enamel paint for a base. At the end, I end up outlining the picture with a fine black gloss paint so it pops out at you. I then give it about 3 coats of gloss spray. The is a gal at work who asked me to make one for her and said she would pay me. I haven't a clue as to what they would be worth.
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

That's great Carol. I'm sure they are very pretty, how nice to get requests for them. I don't have a clue what to charge.

Do you have a digital camera so you could post a picture for us??
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
CarolA

Post by CarolA »

I don't have a digital camera, but Jane, maybe some time I will just send you some pictures. I just sold one for $25.00 to a friends sister. I probably won't get any more requests. Now a days, people have to think about a rock versus a tank of gas! I just completed one for birthday present that is a gardent fairy and I am working one of a golden retriever for my daughter at her father's house. I don't have a picture of him but am trying to find photos over the net.
VThosta/daylilylover

the photo

Post by VThosta/daylilylover »

Can everyone still see the photo? I keep trying to get my computer to allow me to see it.
New Topic Post Reply