Lampshades?

Ask craft related questions, share your current projects, your dream project, or show us your talent!

Moderators: Chris_W, Soummer

Justme

Lampshades?

Post by Justme »

Has anyone ever recoveded a lampshade. I have two 40 year old Stiffle lamps and the shades are rotting! But, they are also very large and I haven't been able to find any new ones that come close to fitting them. Also, one has a weird glass globe around the bulb fitting and the shade sits on top of the glass shade instead of attaching to the lamp, have never seen any other like it.

Anyway I would like to try to just make new covers for the frames, if I could find directions.

Thanks, Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Tami, if the fabric so that you can remove it to make a pattern or is it to the point it will fall apart? I have made a pattern from just the shade frame, make it so that you can have a seam or try to do one piece. The hardest part is the inside lining. Best of luck, it can be done!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

I have taken an old shade, stripped the wire frame of its fabric/paper covering, and then macrame'd a replacement. It took awhile. lol!

With an adequate structural frame, it shouldn't be difficult to replace the fabric. I've seen instructions somewhere on-line. As I recall, they simply used fabric glue to secure the new cover around the frame. You might even want to use a fabric stiffener to make it easier to handle.

Try searching on-line for the instructions (maybe it was at the HGTV website? or e-How?)... if I find it, I'll post.

Well... it didn't take me long to find. Here ya go:
http://interiordec.about.com/od/howtodo ... pshade.htm
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
Justme

Post by Justme »

Thanks for the info. Now I just need to get the time :wink:

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
New Topic Post Reply