From trash to a treasure!

Ask craft related questions, share your current projects, your dream project, or show us your talent!

Moderators: Chris_W, Soummer

Squash Blossom

From trash to a treasure!

Post by Squash Blossom »

I've been sewing again recently and decided I'd sort through and throw away a bunch of old scraps. Well, you seamstresses know how much fabric I discarded - NONE! :lol:

I found two coordinating scraps from a little girl's dress I made a long time ago and made this shoulder bag. I used fusible fleece to give the 100% cotton some weight and bought the trim at Hobby Lobby.

I made it bigger than a normal shoulder bag and am giving it to a neighbor this week - she is originally from Mexico and loves the bright colors. She has a one year old son and a baby boy due in November - I figured she could carry a lot of stuff in this bag.
Attachments
DSC01330JunglePurse (resized).jpg
To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

CUTE~ She and the kids will love it! What a sweet thing to do. Paying it forward! Always a good thing! :D
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Isn't that cute?? I'm betting she will love it!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
tsneal

Post by tsneal »

Oh WOW..you did good! I love it!!!!!!

Stephanie
Justme

Post by Justme »

that is soo cute!

If you throw away fabric what would you do when later you have the perfect project for it?

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
Squash Blossom

Post by Squash Blossom »

Justme wrote:that is soo cute!

If you throw away fabric what would you do when later you have the perfect project for it?

Tami
I'm 61 and my earliest memory of my maternal grandmother (who died when I was 9 years old) is spending hours looking through her sewing scraps and buttons she kept in a big jar. She quilted and did a lot of handwork and I was totally fascinated - I can honestly remember standing over her shoulder while she sewed on an old pedal sewing machine.

I'm a packrat anyway but I have a hard time letting go of anything I ever think I might have a use for. I'm like the person who sews a "memory quilt" only I never get anywhere close to quilting...my memories are in plastic boxes!

I just finished another purse but I need to resize the picture, then I'll post it. It was made with quilt material I ordered off the Internet.

Ann
To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Can't wait to see it :D
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Justme

Post by Justme »

Ann,

Can't wait to see pix of your other bag, the first one is too cute.

I have been quilting about 2 1/2 years. But have sewed on and off since I was a young kid. Just made the D.D. some "dance" pants and a skirt, then a new night gown for myself. Haven't sewn clothes since D.D. was a pre-schooler.

I also have been sewing "purses" not as cute as yours, but still cute. I will have to get out the camera, take pictures, download them, re-size them, then post them. Sezesh, now you know why I don't post many pictures :o

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

Very Cute!!
New Topic Post Reply