He loves me!

Ask craft related questions, share your current projects, your dream project, or show us your talent!

Moderators: Chris_W, Soummer

Kas

He loves me!

Post by Kas »

On Saturday my DH came home with a new Bernina Artista 640! :bd: :bd: It has the embroidery module (which I am a little scared to try) and the Stitch Regulator! I am so excited! I am still figuring out how to work the thing, but I hemmed some school uniforms last night and the blind hem was ever so much easier than my old Pfaff. I guess I can stop whining now. :lol: :lol: I have only been hinting broadly for the past three years that I need a new machine and a Bernina would fit the bill.

Well, back to sewing! Just had to tell someone.

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
VThosta/daylilylover

Post by VThosta/daylilylover »

That is one great machine! It's also my dream to have a machine that does embroidery (as I now have a granddaughter) SIGH! (Green with envy emoticon should go here) :D Enjoy it and sew up a storm!
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

:o How Exciting! And no one could be more deserving! What are you making first? Cant' wait to see what you whip on that baby! Whoohooooooo!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Oh, Lucky You!!!!! Go ahead a try the embroidery attachment. I got a machine with embroidery a couple years ago and it's kind of cool.

I am SOOOOOO envious of you and your stitch regulator!!!! That came out just a few months after I got my new machine and if I had known I would have waited. I think it would be REALLY hard for me to justify buying a new machine now. I had my previous one for 23 years before getting a new one! But that stitch regulator is SO cool. I went to the Bernina dealer and gave it a test drive just out of curiosity! :D

Enjoy your new toy!!!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
Justme

Post by Justme »

What a great gift! I have the 440, with stitch regulator, but not the embroidery module. You will have great fun with this wonderful machine.

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Kas, you have a keeper there. What a great gift and what are you going to make first??
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Kas

Post by Kas »

I was looking at the 440 first, but then I saw that the 640 has a 9mm stitch width and three alphabets. Two of the alphabets have upper and lower case where my old Pfaff only had one alphabet with only upper case. But I didn't think I would get it for years!

Anyway, I have hemmed some school uniforms that I was procrastinating on and I am trying to finish my One Block Wonder quilt. Finding time with four kids to take care of has been frustrating. I just want to sew. What do you mean, your hungry?! :lol: :lol: I did have to go buy a 1/4" foot and the single hole needle plate to make the piecing go easier. I am just so excited I want to tell everyone, but I don't want to appear spoiled. Which I am, really! :lol:

So far I am really happy with it. I think with the almost pebbled stitchplate, freemotion quilting isn't as smooth going as the Pfaff, but the stitch regulator makes up for that! One happy camper here. And I better not ask for anything else!

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Well? Can you use one for what it's good for and the other for the other good things it does? A lot of women, have 2 set up in the sewing room?

I mean, gee? Can't you get 2 sets of bunk-beds for those to be in one room and use one of their rooms for your sewing/hobby room now? :D

Will you show us your one-block-quilt? Sounds interesting :D
Kas

Post by Kas »

Well, I wanted the Bernina for the BSR, mostly. That is the Bernina Stitch Regulator which is so, so cool! It has an "eye" that reads the weave of the fabric and keeps your stitches a uniform size as you move your project at whatever speed you want. So I might have to get a teflon sheet to put over the stitchplate for that easy glide action.

At this point, I think Ray would get a little ticked at me if I used the Pfaff instead of the Bernina since he just shelled out five grand for the thing! :eek: :eek: And that was on sale. Yikes! But yes, I do intend to keep the Pfaff. One of these days I will have my own sewing room instead of taking up half of the family room. And when that happens, I want another sewing table that is dedicated to piecing. I won't have to be as big as the one I have now.

Kas
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Yes it will, b/c when you do the finishing, you'll need that big table! :D Then there is the cutting of bolts of fabric and what not. Have to have a big table for that. Not to mention, it's the perfect place to cut gift wrap! :lol:

I save my old rotary blades for cutting gift wrap! What a breeze. I have one cutter for sewing and one for 'other' stuff, labeled as such. Works great!
Justme

Post by Justme »

I wish my 440 had a wider zig-zag, but oh, well. My stitch regulator occasionally doesn't "see" what ever I am sewing over and will miss 3 or 4 stitches. Have heard others say the same thing. So, if your does it, it isn't you. But it is much nicer than doing free motion on your own.

I also have taken over the Dining Room as my sewing room. At least it is being used :D . Dinning room table is nice and large, but too low. I get D.D. to give me back rubs, the back sounds like a bowl of rice crispys :o .

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
Kas

Post by Kas »

Hey! That is a great idea about the rotary cutting wrapping paper thing. Have to try that.

Tami, talk to your dealer about an upgrade. I saw on the Berninausa.com site that there is one available. Mine was not as consistant as I thought it would be, but then I was not warmed up when I tried it and I haven't freemotioned (because of the screwed up tension on my Pfaff) since March.

Kas
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

LOL! I just saw this post since I don't often come onto the crafter's forum. Kas called me on the way home from picking up her new baby, squealing like a little kid LOL!

It's a beauty, I actually got to touch it :o

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
Kas

Post by Kas »

But I wouldn't let her lick it! :lol: :lol: Doris might get jealous!

kas
New Topic Post Reply