Entering the NYS Fair

Ask craft related questions, share your current projects, your dream project, or show us your talent!

Moderators: Chris_W, Soummer

party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Entering the NYS Fair

Post by party_music50 »

The entry form is filled out! A girl at work convinced me to enter my baskets in the Arts & Crafts competition. :) She's a cross-stitcher, and she's entering her pieces too. I never would have entered without her though, because she lives near there and she said her hubby LOVES to go there personally for a "behind-the-scenes" look (he'll hand-deliver and pick up our entries -- safely, I hope!).

You can enter up to 5 classes, so here's what I chose:

Basketry, from a commercial source: Carolina Apple Basket, from a pattern by Lynn Siler

Basketry, original: "Julia's Spring Try-Out". Lidded ginger-jar shaped basket in natural, smoked, and dyed reeds, with woven tulips.

Miniatures: My wasp-waisted "Jewel Vase" waxed linen basket in spring colors

Fiber Techniques, Fine Arts: "Jewel Tray" waxed linen basket in autumn colors

and, just for kicks, I also entered the Fiber Techniques, Wearable: "Sea glass window-pane" pendant necklace, of plaited, twined, and braided waxed linen around a piece of found "sea glass".

I'll let you know how I do. :D
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
Hapygdnr

Post by Hapygdnr »

These all sound very interesting AND judging from pictures you've posted of your projects before, I bet you'll do pretty well. Be sure to let us know how it goes and if you can add some pictures too that would be great!
Good Luck!
Jeanne
party_music50

Post by party_music50 »

Thanks for the good wishes! I will definitely post photos if I take a ribbon in anything. :)
~~~ Audrey ~~~
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Good luck! I love looking at all the creative entries at the fair! I'm sure yours will do well!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Good luck, entering the fair can be fun! :wink:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
party_music50

Post by party_music50 »

Thanks for the good wishes! :)

I have a bit of a wait now... the entry form had to be in by July 14. That just described what I intend to enter. It's a juried competition, so the first cut determines if your actual entries are good enough to compete -- they go in on Aug 8 and the cut is made then or on Aug 9th, I think. Anything that doesn't make the muster is returned. What remains goes to the judges sometime after that, but before the fair starts. Anything that doesn't win a ribbon is returned (or must be picked up) before the fair starts. Anything that wins a ribbon must remain on display for the duration of the fair. That's the way I understand it, anyway. :lol:

I found it interesting that entries must have been made within the last two years. I also know that they don't automatically award 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. If they think there aren't any entries worthy of a 1st place, they simply don't award a first place that year.

I don't want the summer to go any faster than it already is, but I am anxious to get through this entire "process". lol! I hope that I chose my entries well. They are baskets that I love, and the two reed ones always seem to get lots of ooooos and ahhhhhhs from anyone who sees them.
~~~ Audrey ~~~
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Good luck! I hope you win several ribbons! :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
party_music50

Re: Entering the NYS Fair

Post by party_music50 »

Thanks for the good wishes!

My latest breaking news (lol!):

My friend's DH hand-delivered our entries on Thursday afternoon. Yesterday she said:
"(DH) finally told me that when he opened your box they got really excited and called everyone over to look. He said they were handling your baskets very delicately, with great care and reverence -- with all of them 'oooing and ahhhing' all over them. Then he said to tell you not to get too excited about that, because THEY aren't the ones that will be doing the judging!" :lol:

I learned that the judging will take place on Monday and Tuesday (11th and 12th), and that they will send our postcards out on Friday (15th) to notify us of the results. If any entries don't win or get accepted, they must be picked up on the 18th or 19th -- and I'll be lucky if I get the postcards in the mail by then. The Fair opens just a few days after that....
~~~ Audrey ~~~
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

Even if you don't get ribbons, take heart that the people looking at them will be in awe of the craftsmanship.

Do be prompt in picking up your entries. My sister entered a redwood burl coffee table that she had made and when she went to get it, it was nowhere to be found. It was finally located seven barns away behind a pile of boxes like someone was trying to hide it.
Every day a new adventure!
kHT

Post by kHT »

Kellie is right, do pick them up early!! But again one of the quilts here last year sprouted legs and left the building!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
party_music50

Post by party_music50 »

OMG, those are both horrible stories! At least Kellie's sister found her table, but to lose a quilt... :( There's no question that it would break my heart if someone walked off with any of the baskets I entered -- they are obviously my favorites and very special to me.
~~~ Audrey ~~~
party_music50

Post by party_music50 »

The postcards came. This is all each card says:

Carolina Apple Basket - winner
Julia's Spring Try-Outs Basket - winner
Wasp-Waisted Jewel Vase Basket - winner, 2nd place
Jewel Tray Basket - winner, 1st place
Sea-Glass Window-Pane Pendant Necklace - winner, 1st place. Sensitive use of material.
~~~ Audrey ~~~
kHT

Post by kHT »

Congrats!!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

That is so cool! Congratulations!!!
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
party_music50

Post by party_music50 »

Thank you, karma and Spider! It took awhile to set in... I'm absolutely THRILLED!!!

I heard from my friend (who convinced me to enter) and she did equally well! She took two 1st place, two 2nd place, and one 4th place with her cross-stitch/needlework entries!

I don't know my placement in the Basket Division Classes, but I'll show you one of my entries as it was tagged and ready to be boxed to send:

It's called a "Carolina Apple Basket" from a pattern by Lynn Siler (she writes basket books). I've wanted to make it for years. I entered it in the Basket Division, From a Commercial kit or pattern. The card says I won:

PS: ignore the fact that I didn't even bother to vacuum the carpet. lol! Maybe I should try to get photos when they're on display. :lol:
~~~ Audrey ~~~
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

Love the detail on the handle! Very nice! (and I'm not really "into" baskets. :) )
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
Hapygdnr

Post by Hapygdnr »

Great! I just knew you'd do well. Congratulations to you! Yes, that would be fun if you can manage pictures of them on display.
Jeanne
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Oh Congratulations!!! Your basket are fabulous!!! I'd pick them as winners!! :D And you have a whole list of winners there!! Not bad for a newbie at the fair!! :D

Hopefully this will convince you to enter more competitions!!?

Congrats again!!!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
party_music50

Post by party_music50 »

I just got back from the NYS Fair! I now know that I took FOUR 1st-place ribbons, and ONE 2nd-place (in Miniature Fine Arts -- but it looks like they didn't award a 1st place in that!).

They have TWO of my baskets displayed in the front display area as you walk in the door. I was told that's where they put "the best of the best"! :D

I took photos, but not sure when I'll find time to download/upload them.

Thanks, again! (and, yes, I am already thinking about what I can enter next year to "wow" them. lol!)
~~~ Audrey ~~~
New Topic Post Reply