Anyone make table runners?

Ask craft related questions, share your current projects, your dream project, or show us your talent!

Moderators: Chris_W, Soummer

party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Anyone make table runners?

Post by party_music50 »

Hey all --

Has anyone made table runners before? I want something decorative for my DR table during the holidays, but think my table is pretty "as is" (lol!) so don't want it completely covered. Thus, I'm going to make some different table runners. I ordered 1 yd each of several autumn/xmas fabrics the other day (on-line) to try out. When I get them I'll know the 'heft' to help me decide what to do with them. :)

I found a few different "patterns" for making them on-line, but if anyone else has made them before, I'd love your "two cents". For example, what length do you like (best to overhang the table or just be shorter and central to it)? best to make it reversible? best to make a runner AND matching placemats? :lol:
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Re: Anyone make table runners?

Post by govgirl75 »

I have made several table runners so here is my "two cents" worth.
On length: It depends on whether you are going to leave them on the table when you serve or if you will remove them when you eat. If you will leave them on the table while serving food, the length should be about the same as you would have a table cloth or just above where the diner's lap is. You don"t want them getting tangled up in the runner while eating or accidentally use the end of it as a napkin because it is sitting across their lap. If the runner is purely decorative and will be removed, make it as long as you want. I usually weight the end of the runner with a tassel to keep it down. You can use other kinds of weights or no weights at all. Reversible runners will do double duty. You can add decorative edges like fringe or cording when you sew the panels together for reversible runners by sandwiching the edging in between the top and bottom layer.
I have seen table setups where they laid runners across the table to each seat and placed the table service on the runner, so it served as a runner and placemat. It looked nice. Washable fabric is a good idea for any kind of table covering.
Happy sewing!
Glo
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Re: Anyone make table runners?

Post by party_music50 »

oooo... I like the idea of laying runners across each other! Of course there's the added variable of whether the extra leaf is in the table or not (I only have one 18" leaf). Thanks for your thoughts and ideas! :)
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
New Topic Post Reply