Amaryllis bulbs I found are blooming.

Use this forum to discuss lilies (Lilium species).

Moderator: Chris_W

Squash Blossom

Amaryllis bulbs I found are blooming.

Post by Squash Blossom »

Year before last my daughter, who is definitely NOT a gardener, decided to have a very old, very neglected (totally in ruins) flower bed hidden behind her garage cleaned out so the lawn could take over and the area could be neatly mowed.

Like most gardeners, I couldn't resist scavenging once the wild vines and weeds were cleared out and I could poke around and see what I might find. Sure enough, I found a mass of very old bulbs that I was almost positive were amaryllis and I assumed they were all the same variety.

I dug up probably 40 huge bulbs, transplanted app. 20 in another flower bed at Denise's house, and brought home the rest. I methodically planted each one in a 5 gallon nursery pot and kept them in the greenhouse where I enjoyed a few small blooms last year but nothing like this year.

Last week four bloomed, all identical. They've been spectacular. Enough of the other plants bloomed last spring to tell me there are other varieties but only this variety has bloomed at this time. I forgot to label the plants last year but am definitely taking care of that this year and intend to put the bulbs back in the ground as soon as I know exactly what I've got.
Attachments
DSC00159 (resized).jpg
To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.
Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Post by Pandora »

What a nice story. And Wow, you were sure rewarded for your diligent poking around. Very nice of you to replant so many back for your daughter.

Those are just gorgeous blooms! :cool:

Are you going to force any for Christmas time or let them all stay natural?

Looks like "Grand Trumpet Pink" at J&P
http://www.jacksonandperkins.com/cgi-bi ... eader_sel=

Thanks for the post. I love amaryllis !!!!!!!!!
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

That is beautiful!! Nice story, too....I love them but don't have too good of luck with them re-blooming......I always just get long folage... :???:

Thanks for sharing!! :D
notmartha
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by notmartha »

the onei had in the basement has a bigbud on it-brought it up to the sunny window!!
Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Post by Pandora »

Lucy, maybe we just need to do a google search and see if we can find you an "amaryllis green thumb". :lol:

I would like to see you be able to enjoy them.
New Topic Post Reply