Lillies in a vase

Use this forum to discuss lilies (Lilium species).

Moderator: Chris_W

nomowhill

Lillies in a vase

Post by nomowhill »

This is the first year for this plant and I was amazed I got anything at all. It was so close to full bloom when a storm blew through the night before last. I brought it in and put it in a vase, I'm pretty sure several of the buds will bloom.

I just had to share! :P I suppose I should figure out how to make these photos smaller :oops:
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi and welcome!!

Did that just bloom? What zone are you? You can go put that in your preferences....I love the lilies, and that is a beautiful clear shot.....The Old Coot loves his lilies, too...

Thanks for sharing and have fun at Hallson's!!
nomowhill

Post by nomowhill »

I'm in zone 4 (just added it to my profile). Yes this did just bloom. I know it seems late but I'm not complaining! It was just about to open up when the storm hit so it's sitting on my kitchen table now. Looks like the second bloom will open up today!

I love lilies - I love so many flowers I want to grow them all!
Last edited by nomowhill on Sep 17, 2005 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
bkshasta

Post by bkshasta »

Gee Whiz, you can't ask for a more perfect looking flower. And it survived a storm!
Karry
nomowhill

Post by nomowhill »

First of all I need to say I was wrong above, I'm in zone 4 not 5 - I seem to have a mind block with zones for some reason. I always have to look it up :oops: I did edit my post above.

Three of the lilies on the broken stem have opened up, they are huge and absolutely beautiful. There are three more buds (or pods I think I saw OC call them) that I'm pretty sure will bloom.

I have come to learn that these were supposed to bloom in June and all the gardeners I know are shocked to see it in September. I planted them this spring and this bloom stem shot up in August. Anyone have any theories? Could this be a late blooming variety, is there such a thing? I'm just curious. :hmm:
Aud
USDA Zone: zone 6

Post by Aud »

Beautiful bloom. I have planted lilies late Spring and bloom late. I would think in your zone it would take longer to warm up. I have gotten late spring planted bulbs come up late August and bloom into Sept.

The following year they bloomed at the proper time.
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

One year the horses ran through the lily beds as they were budded up and green, not showing a bit of color in the buds. I brought some in and was amazed that every single bud colored up and bloomed!
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Liliums ae amazing plants.

Post by oldcoot »

OC has started planting Liliums n May so that he can have blooms later in the summer, but not this late. Of course he is in Zone 7b AND BY NOW his HAVE ALL GONE TO SLEEP FOR THE WINTER. That really is a beautiful Lilium, and a terrific Picture. Did you edit it in Photoshop ?

John, that Old Coot who can't wait for spring, NEEDS A LILIUM fix...hanks
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

OC has two more questions ?

Post by oldcoot »

Do you know it's name ? Did you raise it in a pot ?? John
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
New Topic Post Reply