Black Bumbs

Use this forum to discuss lilies (Lilium species).

Moderator: Chris_W

VThosta/daylilylover

Black Bumbs

Post by VThosta/daylilylover »

Are the black bumps at the base of the leaves normal? I didn't plant these, they were here when I moved in so I thought it was normal but someone recently told me they weren't supposed to be on lillies...
Please click to enlarge.
HostaDesigner

Re: Black Bumbs

Post by HostaDesigner »

VThosta/daylilylover wrote:Are the black bumps at the base of the leaves normal? I didn't plant these, they were here when I moved in so I thought it was normal but someone recently told me they weren't supposed to be on lillies...
Please click to enlarge.
We might need more of an expert here, but in my experience, they're just bulblets. Basically new bulbs growing on the stem. They can be snapped off and grown into new plants. I'm not sure what are all of the species of lilies are that have them, but I have grown looooots of lilies this way years ago.
VThosta/daylilylover

Thank you for that info.
I seached for "bulblets" and found out that they are indeed bulblets AND that they can form new lillies!
Thank you so much!
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Learn something new everyday! Very :cool:
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
toomanyanimals
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by toomanyanimals »

VTHosta, now I could be wrong, but I believe those only show up on the stems of Asiatic Lilies. I know I always find them on my Tiger Lilies ... so maybe only the Tiger type lilies? I know for sure they are not on the Oriental or OT lilies.

We need more information from a Lily Expert!
Be not simply good; be good for something.
Henry David Thoreau
VThosta/daylilylover

Yes, I think these are Tiger Lilies too. They will open in a day or two and I'll post a picture.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

We have a wild lily growing here that does that too, but I don't know which species it is. I was hoping to see the blooms this year since we just moved some of them up near the house to watch them, but unfortunately they didn't flower.

The odd thing about the ones I moved was that they didn't have bulbs, exactly, but were growing more like a creeping tuber or rhizome under the soil.

The bulbils just dropped off in the past couple days so we'll probably get a little colony going :)
VThosta/daylilylover

Here is the lily, bulblets, and a bonus friend who didn't want to leave...
Image(click to enlarge)
Oh, and I guess this post should be bumps instead of bumbs! :oops: :lol:
kitgary
USDA Zone: 4b

Post by kitgary »

:P
Tiger Lilies!!!! They may be common but I love them. My mom grew tons of them when I was little. When I grew up and moved away she gave me some for my new home. They will always remind me of the joys of childhood and the wonders of learning to garden!!!
toomanyanimals
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by toomanyanimals »

Hey Kit, I'm with you there ... ton's of great memories with some of the older flowers, especially the Tiger Lilies.
Be not simply good; be good for something.
Henry David Thoreau
New Topic Post Reply