My lilies fizzle out !!

Use this forum to discuss lilies (Lilium species).

Moderator: Chris_W

Riskey bud

My lilies fizzle out !!

Post by Riskey bud »

I've only had luck with just a few of the lilies I've planted over the years with one forming a large clump and growing to four feet in heighth for the tallest ones, but others have just gotten smaller and refused to flower. I know my hardiness zone shouldn't be the problem since I'm in zone 5-6, and also my soil is quite poor, but has good drainage.
A little too much sand if you ask me. Anyway a friend replied to a post recently about the "fizzling lilies" and said she had read that they can be planted "four feet deep" in very cold parts of the country. I know that for some bulbs I've heard surprising depths advised for planting some types of bulbs, but four feet??? Yes the bulbs, would rarely be subjected to freezing in Michigan winters, the bulbs would be cooler in summer at that depth (some supposedly like to be cool), and the moisture might not fuctuate as much either, but it seems that would be an almost impossible task to dig, if you have hardpan , or rocky soil, and it seems the bulbs would have to use tremendous amounts of extra energy growing an extra 3+ft. of underground stem to reach the surface. Also however , I forgot to mention, that many lilies form extra roots above the main bulb on the underground portion of the new stems each year, and that could allow for lots of extra root growth. Anyone else heard about the "four feet" planting depth for lilies??? Seems like I've heard of 1 1/2 ft. depths to 2ft. for some types of bulbs, regardless of the
general planting depths recommended in most gardening sources.
My, what a small world!
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:o Four feet, for real??? OMG, I have never ever heard of that!

I'm sorry I can't help you.
Dirtpig120

Post by Dirtpig120 »

Well I've been growing lilies for a few years and never hear 4 feet.I'm in zone 4 and plant mine in full sun and only 6" deep. Have only lost one or two in the last 5 years to extreme cold in a snowless winter.I just can't imagine planting 4 feet deep.But I guess you can try.
Dirtpig
Life is what happens when your busy making other plans.(J.Lennon)
Dirtpigs Hosta List
Webshot Page
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

The answer might be more in the poor soil they are planted in. Asiatic lilies tend to do alright in lean soils but others might struggle. Add lots of compost and try again, plus make sure they aren't in too much shade as that can reduce the bud count too.

Good luck!
Riskey bud

Post by Riskey bud »

I think the poor soil is the biggest problem, but also my garden to my dismay has pretty much been taken over by tree roots, and short of putting a very deep barrier of some kind around the perimeter, I guess the tree roots are there to stay. They can be dug and pulled out regularly, but just like the tops of plants, the roots only branch more and more every time they're cut to form a thick mat. Forget the old "rule of thumb" that tree roots only grow as far as the "drip line" of the tree, since the roots of maples and many other trees seem to wander twenty or thirty feet even looking for water and food. I have roots creeping in from four different directions. I think most plants, lilies included , just don't like the competition from tree roots, but I've never heard of an "easy" solution to deal with them where you don't want them. I don't think I'll do the back breaking work of trying to plant lily bulbs four feet deep.
I guess I could experiment with just a few to see if it does make a difference. As for the compost, I really never got the procedure down pat, so that the pile "worked" quickly enuogh , despite all the efforts. Maybe I need one of the new "high tech." composters or perhaps two or three.
I used to add tons of peat, leaves, wood chips, and whatever compost I had , when the one area was a veggie garden, but when it's a permanent planting it's much trickier to add amendments to the whole area. I guess the trick is too add the amendments to any new planting hole , whenever you're dividing and moving plants or adding new ones. I think my soil is pretty much exhausted in spots after having continuous growth for over seventeen years in the same area.
My, what a small world!
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Comment on 4 ft depth

Post by oldcoot »

I just re-read this and had just seen where in cold weather states you can plant MARTAGONS four ft. deep. takes seveal years to bloom, and because they are so tall, they need a good base. I planted several last year, but only 6" deep. Neither came up, so I'm looking to see something this year. Book also said thwt they like partial shade, but not heavy sunshine. I've got a white and a purple MARTAGON planted. Come on SPRING. :P :P :P :P :P

A saying of the Old Coot
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
New Topic Post Reply