Building a new lily bed.

Use this forum to discuss lilies (Lilium species).

Moderator: Chris_W

Gruntfuttock

Building a new lily bed.

Post by Gruntfuttock »

I have decided that one of this year's new beds will be a lily bed. The problem is how can I extend the growing season?

Are there early varieties and late varieties?

I couldn't resist these July-August flowering chaps, but they were reduced because they have started sprouting. Should I pot them up and plant them in the bed later? The bed won't be readi for planting until mid-May.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Zone: This is England we don't do zones. Pick any number between 2 and 11

http://www.zyxwv.co.uk/

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
toomanyanimals
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by toomanyanimals »

Hi Gruntfuttock, (not sure how to pronounce that one!)

You and I are in about the same position. I'm just beginning to dig my bed. Who knows how long it will actually take me ... I'm hoping the bed is ready by May 1st.

I also have gotten new lilies this spring. I've gotten asiatics, oriental, and OT (Orienpet) bulbs. I got my biggest pots and grouped them and planted them, 2 types to a pot. They need to begin to grow their roots if they are to bloom on time.
Bloom times - I'm in zone 5/6 in Michigan (if that helps), right now our daytime temps are usually 40 or 50 degrees F.

Asiatics bloom first, June/July here
Then for Orientals, and OT, they bloom july/August.

My bed won't just be a lily bed, but will have other bulbs also. Some Early spring bloomers, Daffodils, tulip, alliums, crocus. Just a couple of these to make the bloom season longer in that bed. And I can't help it, I just know I will have low annuals mixed in with the bulbs to keep color all season long.

So it would be
Crocus and Chionodoxa (glory of the snow) blooming first- March/April.
Then Daffodils- April,
Fritillaria Uva-Vulpis - April,
Early Tulips -April/May,
Alliums - May,
Late Tulips - May,
then the lilies - June/July/August. :cool:

I had originally thought of putting my Iris in that bed, but decided not too. I want to have an Iris bed. :eek:
Hope that helps.
tma
Be not simply good; be good for something.
Henry David Thoreau
New Topic Post Reply