Casa Blanca Lily Question

Use this forum to discuss lilies (Lilium species).

Moderator: Chris_W

renaldo75

Casa Blanca Lily Question

Post by renaldo75 »

I have 2 of them. I would like to move the one that was taller than me last year so that is farther back in the hosta bed I'm re-doing. Having never had any lilies before, I didn't know if this was something that could/should be done once they are established. Will I be able to move it now?
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Nobody willing to hazard a guess?? :hmm:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

The thing with lilies is that they have retractile roots, so they pull themselves down further than you planted them. It won't hurt to cut some of the root off as you'll get new roots branching behind the cut. Just dont break the stem off the bulb, although you do have stem roots as well as bulb roots. I dug up lily clumps and potted them in July, so I know it can be done. I did leave my established ones behind as I had planted them 10 inches deep to start with and didn't have pots deep enough to put them in.
No reason not to try.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Thanks, Kellie. :P I'll see how far down to China I have to go. :wink: The ground is naturally moist now at least.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Renaldo

Post by oldcoot »

OC plants a ton of Liliums . He has had his best success planting them in the fall as they usually bloom the next year.
Kellies right. DON"T CUT THE stems until they die down (usually first frost will do that for you) as the green stems produce food for the next years blooms. 6-8 inches is a good depth. Plant any shallower and you'll be doing a lot of staking. OC usually starts out his spring Liliums in a 5 -10 gallon pot, and transfers them in the fall to the bed he wants them in permanently. Also you CAN plant them in the spring. OC always order Liliums from Chris to put out in April, so he will have some blooming out late.(Chris has terrific Liliums !! The ones OC got from him this spring are already up. WIll post pictures as soon as he can edit....)

OC got several Casa Blanca Lilium from Chris his spring. Had one several years ago, but it didn't make it through the summer heat. Will definitely look after thest better....OC wishing you the best of luck with your Liliums move....
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

So, Renaldo, did you move your lily? How did it go? I've moved them at virtually any time of the year that the ground was not frozen, but it's by far the easiest to move them after they stalk has died back. I have to move my Casa Blanca lilies, and also some Aphrodite asiatics this fall, and I sure hope I remember to do it. They're getting swallowed by a hydrangea.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply