Calla Lilie help

Use this forum to discuss lilies (Lilium species).

Moderator: Chris_W

Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Calla Lilie help

Post by Ginger »

I have had my Calla Lilies for about 4 years. I do not dig them up each year, they stay in the ground. This year I only got one flower from all of the 6 plants I have. What could be the problem? It has been really dry and hot, then got wet and hot, now it is just HOT! Is this weather pattern the problem, or do I need to feed them or what?

Any help is appreciated

Ginger
impatience

Post by impatience »

Ginger, I just saw this post. I haven't been able to get my calla lilies to bloom either. I thought maybe they weren't getting enough sun, but who knows?

I do like the shape of the leaves and it adds height and texture to the garden-but I would like to see flowers!!

Anyone have any ideas to help us Okies? Thanks for your help.
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
John

Post by John »

Perhaps they would benefit from being divided, after 4 years? And they do prefer it moist, rather than dry. A handful of well-rotted manure might also help.
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Hi John, thanks for replying :D Mine are up and the leaves look good this year, but I will wait and see if I get any flowers. If not, should I divide them after they start to die back this fall, or is it something I can do any time?

Ginger
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

I agree with John, some well-rotted manure sounds in order and watered. We have had some in the ground for over 10 years and haven't divided them??
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
impatience

Post by impatience »

Ginger, have you gotten your calla lilies to bloom yet? I thought after all the rain a flower might pop up?

None here. The foliage is wonderful, but sure would like to see a flower.
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

What we have done is move some and cut them back, to my surprise they are popping back upward. We also do this when they are done blooming and it gets hot. To my surprise they will come back in the fall with a couple blooms but nothing like they do now. This is the white ones, we also have pink, yellow, cream and deep purple. We are also seeing some of our hybrides coming up year. Can't wait to see what color we get. Here are the first bloomers.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Just posted a new thread. No calla lillie blooms in my yard again this year, and we have had plenty of moisture!
I guess I am going to have to go to the horses outhouse and get some more manure and start it cooking for this fall:o

Ginger
New Topic Post Reply