OC's 07 Lilums

Use this forum to discuss lilies (Lilium species).

Moderator: Chris_W

oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

OC's 07 Lilums

Post by oldcoot »

:-? :-? :-? Just had to show off a little. This is what OC ordered today:

"Fa-ta Morgana"..........DID REALLY WELL IN A CONTAINDER LAST SUMMER

"FIRE King"................COLOR SOUNDED GREAT

Lollypop.......................Pot this summer ,to be added to the new bed this fall

"Tinos"........................Liked the color (saw one elsewhere)

"Tango - Black Spider" New this year

"Tango - Honey Bee" New this year

"Tango - Orange Art" ......New this year

"Tango - Star Burst" .......New this year

"Tango - Pup Art".............New this year

"Muscadet" (Oriental)........Replacement for an old one

"Royal Guard" .................New this year

"Speciosum Rubrum".(SP)....Add to collection from last year

"Tenuifolium"......................New this year

"Triumphator"(OT)................New this year

WOWEEEEEE ---- LOTS OF PRETTY PICTURES coming to a forum near you SOON...........OC bursting a grin from here to there !!
Last edited by oldcoot on Mar 09, 2007 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:o Wow, that's a lot!! Can't wait to see pictures!! :D
oldcoot

Me either Lucy

Post by oldcoot »

None are showing ANY sign of coming up yet. Guess with the cold weather we have had they showed good sense and stayed snuggled in the ground...OC
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
oldcoot

Well now, they ARE coming up

Post by oldcoot »

:D :D :D Check this out !! Looks like OC will get some Iris he didn't count on ( in the new Lilium BED)

Last fall this bed was prepared to be a new permanent Lilium Bed. We lifted all the Iris in it, tilled it several times, put about a 4" layer of good dirt on top, then tilled it again. Then we planed some new fail Lilium bulbs. Was supposed to move the ones off OC's deck and also plant them in this bed. But OC's help never came back. Looks like it was a GOOD thing he didn't get the deck Liliums moved, as we had missed a BUNCH of the Old Iris.......

They'll be lifted his fall as soon as we see where the Liliums are, divided if needed, and replanted the front yard, if OC has a little help. Maybe at the same time we move the Liliums off he deck.

Enjoy OC's unexspected "Bonus" Iris
Attachments
Iris in Lilum Bed -hrz-2.jpg
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Wow Coot, yours are up higher than ours are. I miss my lilies that I sent off to my sister so I've added a couple this year also. :cool:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
oldcoot

Easter Lily (Longiflorum)

Post by oldcoot »

One OC put in Church Last Easter and had replanted in this bed in the Fall. Really looking good. Have no idea what this 4 day freeze in going to do to it. It's too far over in the bed for OC to try to cover. Sure hopes it makes it as it had a great start. This was also made with OC's XT and 200 mm Sigma lens set on Macro.....

OC crossing his fingers..........
Attachments
07 Longiflorum (Hrz).jpg
07 Longiflorum (Hrz).jpg (25.13 KiB) Viewed 5617 times
oldcoot

Mabe a lucky break

Post by oldcoot »

OC really was fussing when he saw these Iris coming up in his new Lilium Bed. But with this cold snap, he is hoping they will shield them a little from the wind....Another thing OC Noticed that was odd in the new bed, The Squirrels had dug up several if the bulbs, but not a SINGLE ONE of the ones by an Iris was hurt. Maybe that is a clue for OC NOT to move these Iris this fall after all. Mo OC didn't plan it o happen, but it just worked out fine.
Attachments
Iris in 07 Lilium Bed -2.jpg
Iris in 07 Lilium Bed -2.jpg (50.31 KiB) Viewed 5615 times
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi John!!

Things are looking great!! I am so ready for picture's from your iris's this year.....

Thanks, and Happy Easter to you!! :cool:
oldcoot

Looking at that list

Post by oldcoot »

:D :D :D OC sure is glad he ordered all of those when he did this spring. Looks like he has lost all of last years. Will post some picture when he gets the guts to edit them...

These were made before the freeze

A really unhappy Old COOT FOR HIS LOSS.....
Attachments
Single Lilium - Deck Pot Pre-Freeze hrz.jpg
Single Lilium - Deck Pot Pre-Freeze hrz.jpg (36.4 KiB) Viewed 5606 times
Lilum Pot pre Freeze HRZ.jpg
Lilum Pot pre Freeze HRZ.jpg (30.75 KiB) Viewed 5606 times
tsneal

Post by tsneal »

Oh...sounds great OC!! Hubby brought home some Lollipop lilies for me and I love the Tango collections...neat!

Stephanie
oldcoot

Looking at the list OC posted earlier,

Post by oldcoot »

:D :D :D :D He sure is glad that he placed that order with Chris. Got another week of 46 degree nights this week which he doesn't need, so he is going to wait until Saturday to plant them. Have someone already coming to do it.

Unfortunately this will be the majority of OC's Liliums that bloom this year. Take a look at these on his deck.

Cruel old weather man, must live in the frozen tundra.....

OC in a BIG hissie fit...........
Attachments
More gone than not- Deck 07.jpg
More gone than not- Deck 07.jpg (46.83 KiB) Viewed 5596 times
Lost Liliums.jpg
Lost Liliums.jpg (40.75 KiB) Viewed 5596 times
Last edited by oldcoot on Apr 29, 2007 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Again... :o ... I think everyone is getting hit with some loses of some type....It's a shame!
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Sorry to hear about your freeze John, it sure is frustrating isn't it? Especially when things are looking so great beforehand. I guess mother nature is showing us who is still in charge. Hope your plants are doing better. :P
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
oldcoot

All of them haven't died

Post by oldcoot »

:D :D :D This pot was wedged between the Hosta bird bath and several pots of Daylilies that were really sprouting up. Can't wait to see what THIS vigerous survivor looks like. And there wee also or 2 more post they were in more or less protected areas that appear as of this morning to have made it also. Thank you Lord for what OC has left....
Attachments
Alive Liliums-07-Deck.jpg
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Yipppeeee Coot!!!
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Looks most excellent Coot! Congrats!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
oldcoot

Thanks everybody

Post by oldcoot »

:D :D :D While on the deck awhile ago, trying to prop up some more Liliums leaning over, I found a pot over by the house side of the deck, sheltered by a tall cabinet, where I keep my Deck tools, they miraculous seem to have escaped the freeze. The are up about a foot now, nice and green and looking great, so maybe I will have a few after all.. Got my new ones in from Chris this week and have help coming tomorrow to plant them for me, so at least I WILL have some late blooms. Had a gully washer yesterday - 8" so they got watered good. TO be in the low 80's tomorrow and through Tuesday of next week. Sure hope we have no MORE surprises in store for ANY of us.....

A beginning to be a somewhat relieved OC
oldcoot

Saturday was another day in the yard for OC

Post by oldcoot »

He's got a really great young man who will be a high school freshman this fall, and lives up the street. So he will be around for a while. Has a brother 4 years younger that is a good worker too, so JUST maybe Joy hit a home run when she found them for me.

Dumped all the old pots in the yard that had been there for several years and stacked them up, and then, and then, we bit the bullet and gave all the Liliums on the deck a good hard look. Turned out a a lot worse than OC had hoped for.

Last spring he had 80 Liliums in 20 pots and trays. Added thirty more last summer from Chris which was ten more pots which all bloomed. After clearing out the pots of dead Liliums or ones there wasn't much hope for yesterday, OC now has 15 pots, and only one, instead of four, trays on his deck. A few of them surprisingly look right good. Others we won't know until we see if they bloom. They are growing taller every few days, but there are a lot of yellow leaves on the stems. Decided to leave them and give them a chance.

In my yard bed in the front yard, they did better. They were set back in an alcove and were partially protected by some hedges which needed trimming. The Freeze got the hedge, but they seem to have protected the Liliums. This picture was made this morning.......

While not truly Lilies, they are pretty. TORCH LILIES

Enjoy, OC could hardly believed it. Thank you Lord
Attachments
Torch Lilies-07.jpg
Torch Lilies-07.jpg (32.01 KiB) Viewed 5565 times
07 Lilium Yard Survivor.jpg
07 Lilium Yard Survivor.jpg (48.42 KiB) Viewed 5564 times
toomanyanimals
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by toomanyanimals »

OC, I think all of my 'old' lilies have come back, but I ordered several new ones last year. And all of those except Triumphator have come back. I think I have one tiny bud just breaking the ground. :cry:

The torch lilies look great!
Be not simply good; be good for something.
Henry David Thoreau
oldcoot

This is OC's quiet time of year

Post by oldcoot »

:D :D :D The kids finished cleaning out the new beds Saturday, and this week we will start lifting Liliums from the deck and planting them in the yard for next year In another new bed Have no idea what is still in the original new bed from last year, as the ones OC planted last fall didn't make it through the freeze. Don't want to plant more in there on top of them this year.

Am sure hoping they bloom pretty next and OC 's Camera is back from repair by then......OC feeling very optimistic today.
New Topic Post Reply