silly lilly questions....need answers...

Use this forum to discuss lilies (Lilium species).

Moderator: Chris_W

colorfulbundles

silly lilly questions....need answers...

Post by colorfulbundles »

I am not really familiar with lilies other than daylilies...I have some oriental lilies, and they have seed pods on top of the stem, and small dark Plantlets??? at the base of leaves below the seed pods. Am I right in thinking they may be plantlets? If not, what are they? Also, when do I dig my Pink Tiger lily? We are moving and I want to take it with us, as well as my turks turban lily....do I dig them at the same time?
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

The little, dark things are bulbils. Although not seeds, they will grow into lilies if planted.

Dig your lily bulbs after a frost. They cannot be stored dry. If you cannot replant them right away, store them in slightly damp peat moss in a plastic bag in a cool, dark place and plant as soon as possible. They will winter over better in the ground than in storage.
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
colorfulbundles

bulbils...when?

Post by colorfulbundles »

So when do i harvest these bulbils? They are near black right now...

Anna
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

Wait until they are black and are ready to fall off. You can store them for a while the same way you store the bulbs although I would plant them right away. It will take at least three years before you will have blooming size plants.
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
New Topic Post Reply