Lillie Newbie

Use this forum to discuss lilies (Lilium species).

Moderator: Chris_W

Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Lillie Newbie

Post by Ginger »

Well, I finally bought some Lillie's :D I bought two Asiatic called Dragon, deep dark red, upward facing, really nice, but all of the buds have bloomed, flower petals fallen off, and no more new buds?? There are little swollen areas around the stamen (Is that the long one in the middle?) so is that the new buds forming, or is that seeds???
How do I get more blooms???
I have them planted where they get about 4-5 hours of sun, mostly late morning and early afternoon, I water about once a week, more if the soil is dry. What else should I be doing? Help please :???:

Ginger
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Sounds good, those seeds will take a couple years to bloom. Look for bulblets as you can plant those too so let them be.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Hapygdnr

Post by Hapygdnr »

Hi Ginger
Yes those swollen areas will turn to seed pods if you leave them on the plant. Personally, I deadhead my lilies unless I plan to grow the seeds, this lets all the energy go back to the bulb and be used for next years flowers. They do only flower once a yr. Some are stem rooting (roots form just below the surface of the soil) and do produce small bulblets in the area of those roots which can be carefully removed if you want and planted somewhere else. They will not flower for approx. 3 yrs though.

Here is a link that might be helpful ~ http://www.lilies.org/culture.html

Jeanne
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

They flower only once a year??? I thought they flowered over and over all summer? Is it just the type I bought or all Lilies... I am confused :???:
Ginger
whip1

Post by whip1 »

I'm no expert, but I think your thinking of daylillies. They flower all summer long.
New Topic Post Reply