Mystery Here

Use this forum to discuss lilies (Lilium species).

Moderator: Chris_W

kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Mystery Here

Post by kHT »

A friend gave me 12 pots (3 bulbs per pot) of lilies that he got from where he works that were forced to bloom for Easter time. When I got them the end of April they were done blooming and so I cut them back. Set them aside and the end of July planted them in the ground around the memorial bed out front after moving the hosta out of full sun. To my surprise I notice yesterday when watering some are coming back up. We have a 2 months of growing yet out here before the frost hits so I'm in hopes to see them bloom? Is it possible to get them to bloom twice??
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
KellieD

Re: Mystery Here

Post by KellieD »

More than likely there are bulblets that formed around the original bulb sprouting. They may not be mature enough to bloom. By the by, Easter lilies are forced to bloom at that time. Normally they are August bloomers.

Consider it a bonus if you get a second flowering.
Every day a new adventure!
kHT

Post by kHT »

Thanks Kellie, but I noticed today that one was up under the mulch. So I scooted the mulch and there was buds?? :hmm: I'll get ya a photo in the morning. So maybe I should of not just potted them in the dirt they came in?? I've always had just bulbs to plant but was told to just remove them from the pot and sink them in the dirt they came in? :blush:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

Lilies prefer to be planted deep. The roots that come from the bottom of the bulb are anchorage roots and the feeder roots are within the top few inches of soil. The shallower the bulb is planted, the fewer feeder roots you have. What I would do at this point is leave them where they are until the foliage declines naturally (yellows this fall) then lift the bulb and replant at a depth of 8" to 10", mixing compost in the top few inches.
Lilies do have contractile roots, but you should plant them deeper.
kHT

Post by kHT »

Hey Kellie, I didn't forget but I hate to say this but it got the better of me. I dug down on the one main one and sure enough it was the main bulb. I even had to cut the feeder roots to see the bulb. There are some on the south side with little bulblets, is that right? :hmm: I just grow them and it's not my speciality. Here are three shots. I did set them in the shaded area and forgot to water for a couple weeks, they were extremely dry and yellow as you said before popping them in the ground after the hostas were moved.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

From the condition they were in when you planted them, I would say that they think they've already gone through dormancy and are doing the growing/blooming thing again. It won't hurt them, but do give them a low nitrogen, high phosphorous, high potassium fertilizer to strengthen them for next year's growth and bloom.
kHT

Post by kHT »

Hey Kellie, I was just chatting with my a friend and we were wonder since they are in a stone throw from the Hibicus if they are getting fertilizer from me feeding that and that's why they are taking off again? I fertilized the Hibs when I noted the buds were forming and that was shortyly after these were planted. The ones in the middle are not coming up like the ones one either ends or sides. I will feed them with alpha pellets like I do all the beds in the spring, do you thing that will be enough? TIA for all your help!! I'm sure glad you are here.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

Alfalfa pellets would be great in the springtime as well as a top mulch of compost. If you wanted to give them anything right now, I would scratch in some bonemeal. I have also had fantastic results with kelp, both liquid and meal.

Just got back from caretaking my mom for five days. After a good night's sleep I'll give you more complete information.
kHT

Post by kHT »

Wow, I just got some liquid kelp, so I'll give them a little in water. Look forward to all your other advice when you have time. Hope all is well with the family?
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Post by oldcoot »

It is so good for OC to be back talking Liliums. A mail order vendor (before OC knew of Hallsons) were supposded to arrive for all plating. When did they arrive, August 15 while I was moving Iris. Made pretty stems, but never bloomed. Next year they were beautiful and I have previously posted pictures. Lets us see them again next spring.........OC beaming again today....... :D :D :D :D :D
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
kHT

Post by kHT »

Hey OC, it's good to see you beaming!! I have missed your photos and great love for them.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
kHT

Post by kHT »

Oh KellieD, you were right on the money. The first one opened today! Small and close to the ground but blooming!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
kHT

Post by kHT »

I'm in the process of seeing them all bloom now when I didn't get to see them bloom in the first place. :lol:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

And very pretty blooms indeed! :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:cool: for sure!! :cool:
kHT

Post by kHT »

I can't get over how long these have kept blooming, I still have blooms! Thank you KellieD for your great advice.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
New Topic Post Reply