Lily Trees???

Use this forum to discuss lilies (Lilium species).

Moderator: Chris_W

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Lily Trees???

Post by Chris_W »

Ugh, not another crazy marketing ploy to lure in the unsuspecting, inexperienced gardener :eek: Someone came in the other day and asked if I had any lily trees. They said this was the latest breakthrough from Spring Hill...

Yes, leave it up to Brecks, Gurney's, Michigan Bulb and Spring Hill to come up with the trademarked "Lily Tree" to describe what are nothing more than oriental x trumpet hybrid lilies. Sure some of these might get taller than some other lilies, but please, they DO NOT GROW INTO TREES! On top of that, the varieties they list aren't even the tallest lilies you can buy. :hmm:

However, I love this bit from the Spring Hill website: ..."stems that reach up 3-4 feet the first year, 5-6 feet the next year and upwards to 6-8 feet in three years! It’s almost like planting a lily flower shrub!" Okay, so it's a Lily Tree (TM) that is not quite like a tree, but almost a shrub :lol:

Please people, don't fall for marketing gimmicks like these. They are oriental x trumpet hybrid lilies. Beautiful plants, but not trees, and they are not unique to just these companies :roll:
John

Re: Lily Trees???

Post by John »

Chris, you gotta love that your posting was followed by a Spring Hill advertisement!
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

But there are people who will believe that c**p no matter how many peolple tell them different!
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
woodthrush

Post by woodthrush »

At least Michigan Bulb corrected their site. Last spring, the had the 'lily tree' listed as a species of magnolia and pruning instructions!
Pam
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

OMG!!! I think I will copy your post and pass it on to the gardening club people, if that's okay........I think some have mentioned still ordering from Michigan Bulb, if I am not mistaken..... :roll: I try to get them to log in here to learn, but hey......only one......*Lucy waving to lurker Elaine!!* :lol: ... :wink:
eyesoftexas
USDA Zone: 76233

Post by eyesoftexas »

i HAD TO LOOK TWICE....CAUSE I KNOW THERE AIN'T NO SUCH ANIMAL.... :lol:
"eyes"

The Dream Lives On....Image
New Topic Post Reply